Talk

Advanced search

To ask how much TV your DC watch?

(13 Posts)
Nquartz Thu 12-Jan-17 17:38:54

I think DD watches too much but I'm not sure what to do about it. She is in reception & sometimes after school will do nothing but watch TV for 2.5 hours, other days she only watches 20/30 minutes.
We are in more at weekends at the moment due to the cold weather & i'm sure she'll watch 5 hours some days.
She also gets up at 5.30am some days & on those days can watch an hour before school.
DH & ILs are the type of people who always have the tv on whereas I would rather leave it off until she asks.
I'm sure the recommendation is 2 hours a day, so should I be worried?

WhooooAmI24601 Thu 12-Jan-17 17:46:31

Not much during the week as they're out each night doing clubs or sports. More in the winter but I don't count it as a bad thing so long as they're active and fit. Weekends I don't mind them sticking the tv on but, again, they do football, rugby, judo and horse riding over Saturday and Sunday so when they get change to doss they take it!

arethereanyleftatall Thu 12-Jan-17 17:50:06

Dd1 (8) - she's not that interested, never mon-fri, never Saturday as doing activities, Sunday normally a few hours watching a movie.
Dd2 (6) - loves tv. But luckily she's not an early riser and we do activities after school, so maybe an hour or so on a Friday, a few hours saturday and a few hours Sunday.

TurkeyDinosaurs Thu 12-Jan-17 17:56:02

loads

Crunchymum Thu 12-Jan-17 18:01:03

4yo has always been a TV monster.

2yo doesn't sit still for longer than a 5 minute episode of Peppa Pig.

I'm not ashamed to say that I let my kids watch TV. I'd never be able to take a shit in peace if they didn't grin

DigestiveMuncher Thu 12-Jan-17 18:03:31

I constantly have TV on for DD 2 throughout the day if we are in, until around 6. Although we are never constantly watching it. We are always in her playroom doing different activities or crafts but she always wants a break for at least half an hour watching the tv before she's right back at playing.

I'm not too bothered about how much she actually watches though as half of the programmes she does watch I have found she learns from, she's always picking up new words and counting along with the shows So IMO she's still gaining knowledge whether she's laid around watching it or we're playing.

Nquartz Thu 12-Jan-17 20:08:39

DD will be able to do activities after school once she's in year one & out of school once she's 5 so hopefully that will reduce it a bit!
Thanks everyone

Mrsemcgregor Thu 12-Jan-17 20:13:46

TV? hardly any

YouTube? Oh my god so much.

dangermouseisace Thu 12-Jan-17 20:47:02

I try to keep mine to an hour screen time max during the week (when I'm making dinner) but they have a bit more at the weekend. Mine are 6,8 and 10. It used to be less than that when I was a bit PFB!

I try to just keep it for when I'm making the dinner as I worry that if they are watching too much they will not be doing other things that would be more beneficial to them long term. E.g. playing/reading/drawing. TBH though at the moment we have so many clubs they don't have time for much TV!

I think it works out ok though this way…the kids sometimes say "I'm bored can I watch something/go on the Ipad" and I tell them no and they end up occupying themselves…usually quite creatively and messily. I'm sure if they had more screen time I'd have a tidier house...

CurlsandCurves Thu 12-Jan-17 21:32:26

They watch very little, apart from a bit on weekends.

YouTube @mrsmcgregor I'm with you!

nolongersurprised Thu 12-Jan-17 21:42:50

Nothing during the week for the school aged kids, the preschooler might watch up to an hour if not a child care day. The older kids are big readers though.

A movie on the weekends, but the tv isn't on during the day. Lots if they're sick.

It might be different if we lived somewhere colder and wetter though.

SniffyFlukkins Thu 12-Jan-17 22:11:15

YouTube here too. Normal TV nothing. Netflix for MLP.

Notcontent Thu 12-Jan-17 22:27:21

Dd is 10. No TV Monday to Friday unless it's the holidays or some other special reason. On the weekend, too much - maybe 3 or even 4 hours. But we never have the TV on just in the background. I have to confess it's one of my pet hates!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now