Talk

Advanced search

to ask how many of you charge your 18 yo to live at home?

(57 Posts)
Popsicle434544 Thu 12-Jan-17 15:12:54

Nothing.
Shes still in full time education. But to be honest at 18 I don't think they should pay anything in education or not

MrsDustyBusty Thu 12-Jan-17 15:17:22

I certainly wouldn't unless she was refusing to work or study. Then I'd be looking for social welfare. If studying, I'd let her alone. If working, I'd let her live rent free so long as she had a direct debit for a savings account.

budgiegirl Thu 12-Jan-17 15:17:35

Mine children are not yet 18, and are still at secondary school But I plan to charge a (fairly nominal) rent once they have left full time education and are working.

They will be working adults, it seems only fair that they contribute towards the costs of housing, food, bills etc.

Depending on our financial situation at the time, I may consider saving the rent they pay to help them save for a deposit on a house, but I probably wouldn't tell them that!

EverythingEverywhere1234 Thu 12-Jan-17 15:17:49

I paid £120 when I was 18, which was 5 years ago. I didn't get charged until I was working full time. I was earning around £900 a month. Totally fair enough imo, I was an adult and mum had bills to pay, partly mine.

Trifleorbust Thu 12-Jan-17 15:17:56

If working full time, why not? If in full-time education, no. But they should get a part-time job and pay for their own extras and social stuff.

Soubriquet Thu 12-Jan-17 15:19:00

Full time education no

No education and working full time. Yes

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 12-Jan-17 15:19:12

No, we don't charge our 18 year old. We won't charge ours until they are working full time.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 12-Jan-17 15:20:27

If a child was working full-time, I think it is a life lesson, contributing to the household. If they are in full-time education, their contribution is chores.

I work with teens moving out of their parents and carers care and a lot of them have absolutely no idea about money or how to keep a house. None. It sets them up to fail.

StillRabbit Thu 12-Jan-17 15:22:40

My DD is at university so we actually pay her! I was charged when I was living at home at 18...... it was a lot of money..... bought a house with boyfriend and my share of the mortgage was lower than my rent in my parents' house... and they were surprised that I wanted to move out!

BUT I do actually think any full time workers should make a contribution to the household....just don't make a profit from it....

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Thu 12-Jan-17 15:23:29

I don't charge my son to live at home. He is 25 and working full time post university. He is saving hard to buy somewhere - we are in the SE so horribly expensive - and we are fortunate enough to be able to do this.
He will be buying somewhere this year and I will miss him a lot. Ocado will too grin

BeachyKeen Thu 12-Jan-17 15:23:35

Our ds is in his last year of school now. We have always told our kids, you are learning or you are earning, and if you're earning, 25% goes for room and board.
In actuality, we will put aside any money he pays, into an account for when he moves out.

user1483387154 Thu 12-Jan-17 15:23:50

If still at school then nothing, if studying at college or University and have part time job I would expect the going rate for student house share but not expect them to pay for utilities or food etc. If working full time then I would expect the going rate for a house share plus their share of all bills and food.

Thattimeofyearagain Thu 12-Jan-17 15:24:32

Yes, I will be charging mine when she gets a ft job on her gap year. Couldn't afford not to, but it will be a lowish ammount.

SixtiesChildOfWildBlueSkies Thu 12-Jan-17 15:24:35

As a teen with a Saturday job whilst at college I didn't pay board but bought my own stuff which I saved up for.

Then when working full time I paid £10 per week (in the 70's), plus I did a large part of the housework, as both mum and dad worked full time too. This annoyed my brother as he paid £15 per week but didn't know what housework was and certainly never did any .
Paying board helped me learn to budget and save - a good life lesson, as I've never asked anyone for money, ever.

Floralnomad Thu 12-Jan-17 15:25:47

We don't charge ever .

AuntieStella Thu 12-Jan-17 15:27:01

Not whilst in full time education, which I would extend out to the September following graduation (and beyond if they go for post-grads).

A DC in work I would charge reasonable expenses; and either charge a notional rent (and put it into a savings account for them) or have them show me they were doing this directly themselves. In the vague hope that they can use it as a deposit on their own place some day.

HairsprayBabe Thu 12-Jan-17 15:28:14

My Aunt charges my Cousin. He was 18 in August and is doing an accountancy apprenticeship.

I think he brings home about £500 and she charges him £100. He also has to pay for his phone and bus pass. He doesn't save a penny of what he has left though (about £300 I think) spends it all on fun things!

Not sure what she does with the board, might be saving it might go to household upkeep.

Ellisandra Thu 12-Jan-17 15:29:40

If I can afford to keep her, and I like how she handles money, she can live rent free until I die!

If I need the money, she'll have to pay a fair contribution - even if it's only a part time wage. But only if I truly can't afford to cover her.

If she's got an attitude and pisses her money away on clothes she doesn't need and appears to have no idea of financial responsibility, I will charge her rent even if I can afford it. (and keep it aside to give back as a lump sum if I can, when she sorts hereof out!)

There's no one answer, is there?

Jayne35 Thu 12-Jan-17 15:32:22

My DD started working when she was 18 and I asked for £80 a month, three years on and two pay rises later and I still only take £80 per month. I need the money, can't afford to save it for her but I won't ask for more (even if she never moves out).

manhowdy Thu 12-Jan-17 15:34:39

I 'charge' my just 20 year old £300 a month - he got kicked out of school early for not pulling his weight and now works full time (earns about £1200 a month).

It's actually going in a savings account for him for a deposit for a house. But he doesn't know this as I am trying to encourage him to manage / save some of his own money too.

It was normal in my youth / circle of friends to pay rent to parents as soon as working full time, which most of us did from age 16. We weren't from particularly well off families though.

whyayepetal Thu 12-Jan-17 15:36:44

We are not quite there yet, but I reckon we will be the same as many here - full support while in full time education, and some sort of sliding scale as the balance changes. I like the idea of no charge when first earning if a direct debit to savings account is in place MrsDusty - might pinch that idea!

TheNaze73 Thu 12-Jan-17 15:37:27

If in FTE, I wouldn't charge a penny.

hellsbellsmelons Thu 12-Jan-17 15:39:30

Sort of.
She was working at 17 anyway.
She did and still does give me £200 a month.
But I pay her phone contract and her car insurance and her car tax and her car breakdown. She knows now that she's 19 she will have to start doing all that herself as she will need to start to build up her credit score.
So it just about covers that really.
Not sure if that's any help or not?

Servicesupportforall Thu 12-Jan-17 15:42:00

No we didn't but didn't need to. We have 3 still here 17/18 and 25 but the older one is engaged and deposit saving.

We got our first house with a deposit of £500 back in 1988 and have made money on moves and are comfortable so why would we charge him? He cooks the dinner most nights though and as a former chef that suits us fine. grin

rightsofwomen Thu 12-Jan-17 15:42:08

He pays nothing, but if he was an entitled so and so and work shy I'd not get him the things (aside from essentials) that he needed.
As it is, he's in yr 13 studying very hard and has a p/t job so he can stay!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now