Talk

Advanced search

To expect school shoes to last longer than 3 months?

(37 Posts)
Nameforsaken Thu 12-Jan-17 14:20:37

Granted ds wears them 5 days a week but there were advertised as school shoes.
The front sole has come away and the leather across the velcro has come away too. I've superglued them 3 times.
They weren't cheap either, real leather barefoot ones for £60

scurryfunge Thu 12-Jan-17 14:22:38

Is he playing football in them? That's what ruined school shoes for my DS regularly.

womaninatightspot Thu 12-Jan-17 14:22:51

I'd expect them to last longer too. I've found black Geox trainers are outgrown rather than wear out.

empirerecordsrocked Thu 12-Jan-17 14:24:02

Dts get theirs in start rite (skinny feet about the only place we can get them to fit). They scuff the toes out within a few days - they like climbing walls - but I just polish over that and they last a couple of terms.

Yokohamajojo Thu 12-Jan-17 14:26:38

It's always hit and miss, scootering and football is what destroy my boys' shoes. He had a pair of Clarkes that lasted no time and he's also had cheap Sports Direct Londis types that have lasted ages.

Footyfan16 Thu 12-Jan-17 14:32:37

ha! you must be kidding! Not even a term in my house.
My DS1 is 5ft 11 and 13 years old, he either grows through them or kicks them out in a term.
DD is not quite as bad but defo not three months!

Ilovecaindingle Thu 12-Jan-17 14:36:51

Dd on her second pair. .. First pair Sept - Xmas.
Have kept receipt this time!!

Nameforsaken Thu 12-Jan-17 14:37:04

Grr!
He's in yr 2, has has clarks & starteite in the past and have both lasted the whole year.
He doesn't play football.
These a vivo barefoot and the most expensive yet.

Nameforsaken Thu 12-Jan-17 14:38:29

I've emailed the shop i bought them from, just being hopeful they'll sort it. But I doubt it.
Guess we'll be buying a new pair this weekend! Let hope there's a sale on!

Didiplanthis Thu 12-Jan-17 15:07:25

My 6 yr dd old gets through shoes every 3 months. Only startrite fit her. That £48 every 3 months !!

Nameforsaken Thu 12-Jan-17 16:49:15

It's expensive!

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 12-Jan-17 16:53:34

This is why I fucking hate uniform and sodding school shoes.

I spent granted a fair amount of cash anywhere from 60-80 pounds on ecco walking boots style shoes. Every single pair survived months of running scooter Inger-helena football walking several miles a week to pre schools and back and not only did they survive all of that they did so with both kids and guess what? They would absolutely do a third. They are almost indestructible.

If they could wear those kind of shoes to school, imagine how much money we could all save having to replace them

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 12-Jan-17 16:54:13

Scootering

Wtf was that typo confused

Nameforsaken Thu 12-Jan-17 17:03:29

Yeah I might just send ds in his walking boots from now on. They're grey so might be okay! Better than ones barely hanging on

Reality16 Thu 12-Jan-17 17:06:43

Not really. 3 months with a lot of wear is quite reasonable imo

FunkinEll Thu 12-Jan-17 17:07:41

I took a just under 3 month old pair back last month th because the leather had worn to the cloth which I feel was extreme. The shop replaced them with another pair without fuss. It's worth a try but I think 3 Months is the limit.

From now on I'm only buying Ricoasta school shoes as they are the only one that are consistently good and last the whole year.

ElsieMc Thu 12-Jan-17 17:15:17

Bought gs Kickers since he started secondary school and is now in year 9. I have noticed a drop in quality and the pair I bought for Autumn term were pretty awful by half term. Just not good enough at £55. There were actual holes in the soles not just scuffing.

He didn't like what was on offer locally, we looked at Ben Sherman and the soles looked like some kind of retro platforms.

He ended up getting a cheap version in Wynsors - who by the way told me I should have come straight back to them with the Kickers - and discounted the cheap shoes so I only ended up paying £5.

They are rather horrible lace up pointy toe things the older lads wear (showing my age here).

Its a real struggle getting decent quality shoes the school will accept (very strict here on footwear) and what the teenagers will wear.

minesapintofwine Thu 12-Jan-17 17:20:10

I have been buying Clarks for a few years and this is the first time ds has worn them out in 3 months. The sole has partly ripped and they are scuffed. BUT he is very active in the yard. His brother is like a lazy sloth smile and his shoes are near perfect. So I do think they way they treat them play a massive part. Ffs though I can't afford to keep buying shoes!

AwadebumboMk2 Thu 12-Jan-17 17:21:07

I bought my dd a pair of Dr. Martens for school they have quite a wide range especially for girls and are virtually indestructible. I still have them and they are wearable bought them for her when she was 13 and she's 19 now.

CauliflowerSqueeze Thu 12-Jan-17 17:21:53

Kickers are normally indestructible.

Nameforsaken Thu 12-Jan-17 17:27:08

awade my dd has dms. I think I'm going to get some for ds although you don't really see many male dm shoes about

ThanksForAllTheFish Thu 12-Jan-17 17:32:54

I think 3 months is about average for school shoes. Sometimes you can get lucky and they will last longer.

What you need is shoe goo it will repair any holes and stick the soles back together. Don't think it would work for the Velcro but you could always get a leather needle and some waxed thread to stitch it back on.

DH has a pair of expensive DM Chelsea boots that are held together by shoe goo. They don't look the prettiest but he's got 2 extra winters out of them so it's been worth it.

bigkidsdidit Thu 12-Jan-17 17:41:24

Two terms usually here.

Someone on here once swore blind to me her children's clarks shoes lasted under two weeks each. I was shock

bigkidsdidit Thu 12-Jan-17 17:42:54

I'm really laughing at scooter Inger-Helena grin

ElfontheShelfIsWATCHINGYOUTOO Thu 12-Jan-17 17:44:29

we had a recent three month shoe break incident I called clarkes and they are replacing no fuss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now