Talk

Advanced search

Partner thinks I should get a taxi to this interview. AIBU to ignore him

(92 Posts)
user1484223149 Thu 12-Jan-17 12:14:27

have a job interview a 50 minute drive away. I get really nervous for job interviews so usually just take the easy option and just get a taxi instead of messing around with walking and trains or if my partner can take me he does. Normally he asks to take time off as we have very little money with us both being students.

I recently got a job interview for a social worker job and it will be £70 in a taxi! Partner can't take me and I can't drive. The other option is to walk a 10 minute walk to my local train station. And take two 30 minute trains and then from the last train station it's a 5 minute walk to the building my interview is at.

Normally I get a taxi but seeing as there's not much walking involved I thought I could go by train.

My problem is when I walk and I'm nervous I sweat. Even just a little walking increases my body temperature. But I will have a 1 hour train journey to cool down with and it's absolutely freezing at the moment.

I was thinking of straightening and tying my hair back and then putting my make up on on the train. And brushing my hair just before getting to the venue. I have fine straight hair. If I get fully ready before I leave my make up might melt a little.

I have beautiful black heels for the interview but would wear foldable dolly shoes and just pop them on before getting to the venue. There's a bus stop next to it.

Does this seem too much hard work?

Our combined income is £13,000 a year for all bills. We also have a toddler. It just seems such a waste paying so much when I can go by train.

I'm also not quite as nervous for this job interview. It's with one manager and a service user so seems less daunting

apacketofcrisps Thu 12-Jan-17 12:18:44

Is the interview where the actual job is? I presume the job is nearer/easier?

EustaceClarenceScrubb Thu 12-Jan-17 12:19:34

Would you be based at the same place if you got the job? If it was a one off for the interview I would do the train but if you get the job you will have to sort something out as commuting by train is expensive.

DavidPuddy Thu 12-Jan-17 12:19:36

I have the same issue, I sweat excessively in job interviews, presentations, i.e. situations when I am nervous.

In your shoes I would definitely get the train, just give yourself lots of time at the other end to sort yourself out.

ParadiseCity Thu 12-Jan-17 12:23:19

I'd get the train, and once off the train I'd get presentable and get a taxi from there to the interview location. So I wouldn't walk the final part.

Good luck flowers

Coralfish Thu 12-Jan-17 12:23:43

Will they reimburse reasonable travel costs? So you might get some money back for the taxi? I would think the train would be fine, but how busy will it be? Will you have room to put make up on? Is there a coffee shop near the interview location? Might be better to get there super early and do your makeup there. That would be my preference I think.

OutDamnedWind Thu 12-Jan-17 12:24:25

Your plan sounds fine. Just give yourself some time either end.

Alternative option, if the thought of walking is stressibg you, would it be cheaper to get a taxi either end of the train, rather than taxi the whole way?

RacoonBandit Thu 12-Jan-17 12:24:43

Get a taxi to the train station. Cheaper than getting one all the way and cuts out on the walking.

SparklyLeprechaun Thu 12-Jan-17 12:26:22

I'd personally take the train and use the train journey to make myself presentable. Good luck with the interview!

user1484223149 Thu 12-Jan-17 12:28:31

It's actually not that far.its just the train stops at a lot of stations. It's still within the same city. Two trains (1hour travel time) is nothing to me. I've commuted where I've had to get several buses before.

I don't mind the commute as it's two trains and I can move nearer or change job if it doesn't work out.

This is a very good job where I wouldn't have to go on any visits throughout the day. Being a qualified social worker who doesn't drive I need to accept this sort of job if I can

user1484223149 Thu 12-Jan-17 12:28:45

The job is at the same place as the interview

TobleroneBoo Thu 12-Jan-17 12:28:47

How would you get there if you got the job? Or is it in a different location? I'd also take the train

MargaretCavendish Thu 12-Jan-17 12:29:08

I would never even consider taking the taxi under those circumstances, so certainly don't think it's unreasonable for you not to do so! The obstacles you describe - hair, make-up, shoes - are very surmountable. If I were you, I'd plan to get there really early, and then go and have a coffee (drink it carefully!) and read your notes in a cafe. You can then do your make-up and check your hair in their toilet - the big chains tend to be most reliable in terms of having a loo with a decent mirror!

With all that said... if it is properly going to stress you out getting the train, then while £70 is a lot of money, it might be worth it to you. As an one-off, I don't think you should feel guilty about doing an extravagant thing if it's going to make a big difference to you.

londonrach Thu 12-Jan-17 12:29:54

Taxi to station train then taxi to interview. No one gives costs for interviews now do they.

londonrach Thu 12-Jan-17 12:30:35

Also how you going to get to that job if you get it

MargaretCavendish Thu 12-Jan-17 12:31:06

I'd get the train, and once off the train I'd get presentable and get a taxi from there to the interview location. So I wouldn't walk the final part.

If it is literally a five minute walk then she might find it hard to get a taxi to take her.

AQuietMind Thu 12-Jan-17 12:32:24

If you are fretting this much about getting to the interview how on earth are you going to manage to get to the actual job, daily, if you get it? confused

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 12-Jan-17 12:34:15

Getting the train will be fine. I find a short walk actually calms nerves and clears your head a bit.

To ease your nerves on the day, I'd suggest researching the times and connections of your trains, and which platforms you need to be on. You can even buy your ticket in advance. I'm assuming your area is not affected by the train strikes?!

Great idea to wear comfy shoes. I'd probably put some make-up on and touch it up by blotting and a bit of powder before getting off the train rather than doing it all on a jerky train.

If you concentrate on breathing in and out slowly when you're nervous, it tricks your body into calming down. I find it a really useful trick to breathe deeply in and out whilst counting down to ten in my head before an interview or something.

Good luck smile.

user1484223149 Thu 12-Jan-17 12:37:19

Yes no taxi is willing to take me from the train station to the venue. But It's too short to warrant a taxi anyway.

Once I'm comfortable in a job. This commute wouldn't fase me at all. I love the commute on a train

user1484223149 Thu 12-Jan-17 12:38:16

It's only because I'm nervous for an interview and want to make sure I arrive looking fresh and presentable and not a sweaty mess.

Not sure why that's hard to understand

Bluntness100 Thu 12-Jan-17 12:39:47

As it's.a one off I'd get a taxi there and train back. Arrive as stress free as you can.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Thu 12-Jan-17 12:42:22

I mean this gently: is there a reason that you don't drive? I hate driving and do everything in my power to avoid it, but I've never worked in jobs where driving is necessary. Even though you say you don't need to drive for this role, how are you going to progress in sw if you can't drive?

To answer your actual question, I'd taxi the 10 mins to the first station. A 5 min stroll at the end will clear your head, but I'd start out without getting mussed up, iyswim.

GeekyWombat Thu 12-Jan-17 12:44:31

I have a similar problem and get round it by leaving early to go places. Get there early, have a drink at a cafe nearby, go to the loo and sort yourself before you head over. Is that possible?

Good luck with your interview!

Somerville Thu 12-Jan-17 12:45:10

For me it would depend on the time of day. If it's a 9AM interview with a peak time train that is expensive and you won't get a seat then I'd go for a taxi. But assuming you can get a non-peak train and there would usually be seats then get the train.
Have you got time/cash to do a run through of the journey on public transport? That will help with nerves, too.

FetchezLaVache Thu 12-Jan-17 12:46:12

Taxi to the station, train journey, walk to interview? Make sure you arrive in plenty of time so you can saunter there, rather than power-walk.

And good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now