Talk

Advanced search

To think your child doesn't need a snack in a 30-minute toddler class?

(414 Posts)
Mummyreindeerlegz Thu 12-Jan-17 12:10:24

Sorry for the long title.

Why is it some parents give their one year old snacks during really short classes (or at all during classes!)? A one year old wandering around with a soggy rice cake, dropping bits is grim. Wait half an hour or give them a snack before you come.

Please tell me why people think this is ok? Fully prepared to be told I am being unreasonable.

allowlsthinkalot Thu 12-Jan-17 12:19:19

Occasionally children might have medical needs or the class might be at a time when they need something to keep them going (they usually eat lunch at that time, for example). Otherwise I agree.

StandardNameHere Thu 12-Jan-17 12:24:51

I see where you are coming from as you say it's only half hour but it could be during their snack time, or they missed it whilst traveling (can't eat whilst in the car seat) so is the nearest opportunity for them to eat.
It can be messy but I'd rather clean it up than them going hunrgy.
Does annoy me though when their parents don't tidy up or at least look like they are trying to contain the mess

londonrach Thu 12-Jan-17 12:27:11

Just been to something dd refused her bottle before 20 mins into the 30 min activity she wanted it. Yabu i can see the same thing happening with food.

HeyRoly Thu 12-Jan-17 12:28:17

It's just habit, I think. Agree that it's totally unnecessary. I doubt there are medical needs involved.

Upforathird Thu 12-Jan-17 12:28:27

To diffuse a tantrum? Because they're exhausted and would rather that than a screaming toddler. Been there, done that and would judge anyone else doing it...

WellErrr Thu 12-Jan-17 12:30:23

YANBU. Of course they don't need a snack in a 30 minute lesson.

Unfortunately though, there are a large number of entitled parents (and therefore children) who seem to think that stuff like this is ok.

it could be during their snack time, or they missed it whilst traveling (can't eat whilst in the car seat)............It can be messy but I'd rather clean it up than them going hunrgy

No child is going to hungry in 30 minutes. Snack time?? Have it before. Or after. If you don't want them eating in the car seat (why?) then arrive 5 minutes earlier and stuff a banana in their chops if you think they'll fade away in half an hour.

Can you tell that entitled children with no social graces irritate me? grin

FormerlyFrikadela01 Thu 12-Jan-17 12:32:53

Can one year olds regulate themselves to wait 30 minutes for their snack? Or are they likely to throw a massive tantrum and miss part of the class anyway?

I can only speak from my neices (now 18 month and 2) and at that age of they wanted something it was now or I'll scream.

Upforathird Thu 12-Jan-17 12:35:32

Exactly Formerly. They can't regulate themselves. And also neither can they be entitled - they're one year old!! I just couldn't get judgy about this.

Elphame Thu 12-Jan-17 12:36:39

I actually don't recall giving my toddlers snacks between meals once they were fully weaned and certainly not when they were of the age to have outside activities.

Is this a new thing?

Upforathird Thu 12-Jan-17 12:37:36

I don't think snacks between meals is a new thing no grin

AnnPerkins Thu 12-Jan-17 12:37:48

YANBU mostly. There seems to be an obsession with snacks for small children. I realise children have little stomachs and a hangry toddler is not a pretty sight, but they can usually go half an hour without eating.

WorraLiberty Thu 12-Jan-17 12:38:12

The parents are probably in the habit of using food as a babysitter/pacifier/distraction etc.

It's often recommended by Mumsnetters actually, rather than toys/books/interaction.

Sirzy Thu 12-Jan-17 12:38:18

It's indicative of how society is in general at the moment with so much focusing around snacks.

PonderLand Thu 12-Jan-17 12:38:59

Can waiting 30 minutes be explained to a one year old?
If people have to travel to a group then I can understand why they have to feed them when they arrive.
I go to a sensory class and more often than not I time it completely wrong and end up having to give my son a bottle as we arrive.

I have a 7 month old so I'm not sure how he'll be in 5 months but my nephew is 1 and if he wants a snack he'll have a snack, and his mum won't clean it up off my carpet envy but that's another issue.

StandardNameHere Thu 12-Jan-17 12:39:32

So I have an entitled child because I don't let her stay hunrgy? Erm ok 😂
They can't eat in a car seat in case they choke.. That's pretty simple and as a paramedic I would really like to stress that a 1 year old really should not be eating in a car seat as you are driving

StarlingMurderation Thu 12-Jan-17 12:39:52

God. I have had friends come round for a playdate then lunch, stuffing their DC with snacks every time they whine then wondering why they won't eat lunch! Very annoying because DS doesn't tend to snakc much, or to demand snacks. Then again, he's not massively interested in food, and if he asks for something close to dinner or lunch, I just say, "No, it's nearly meal time" and he's fine with that. Maybe I'd be deploying the raisins if he was always begging for food.

Silvercatowner Thu 12-Jan-17 12:41:30

Snacks have been around since toddlers have been toddlers. Its the concept of a '30 minute toddler class' that I struggle with.

Mummyreindeerlegz Thu 12-Jan-17 12:42:31

In this situation it was 10am, parent produced snacks as soon as they got through the door and there was no tantrum or requests visible from the child.

I'll be told I'm drip feeding, but my child has a severe dairy intolerance. The children walking around with flavoured rice cakes and biscuits with unknown ingredients is a massive headache for me. A tiny amount (such as one of the dropped bits in the floor that my child gets to before me) can make him very unwell.

That and the mess, distraction and tantrums from the other children that are not havjng snacks just makes me think in 30 minutes they can wait.

Breastfeeding or a bottle feed for a small baby is different to me, it isn't messy and is contained to you and your child.

Upforathird Thu 12-Jan-17 12:43:08

Well not cleaning up after a child is definitely not acceptable but giving them a rice cake if they get a bit hungry. Come on! That's not a problem really is it? They can continue enjoying the activity, as can everyone else without the distraction of a screaming child. I don't see this as an entitled parent or child and I certainly wouldn't see it as someone who distracts with snacks instead of books/toys. I would just think, that's a mum getting through the day. Needs must sometimes.

Mummyreindeerlegz Thu 12-Jan-17 12:44:27

@silvercatowner it's a 30 minute music class for ages 0-5 if that helps clarify.

Upforathird Thu 12-Jan-17 12:45:26

Cross posted Mummyreindeer. I can imagine that is stressful in your situation and I'm not sure why the mum would need to give them a snack in that case if they child hadn't asked or didn't seem hungry.

Mummyreindeerlegz Thu 12-Jan-17 12:45:42

It wasn't one rice cake it was a stream of them during the class. One rice cake, yeah I'd be whatever about to a certain degree but she had a baggy of large rice cakes.

SalemSaberhagen Thu 12-Jan-17 12:46:38

well you seriously can't see why a child shouldn't be eating in their car seat?!

Upforathird Thu 12-Jan-17 12:47:33

Ok so yeah, explaining all that now YANBU. That would annoy me too in your situation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now