Talk

Advanced search

Another parent/child parking one

(38 Posts)
SleepymrsE Thu 12-Jan-17 12:02:11

More of a rant than anything else. Go to local small retail park with 12 week old DD. Pram in DHs car which he took to work. As I was only nipping into a couple of shops I thought it'd be fine to manage car seat but thought I'd try and park close to the shops I needed. This particular retail park only has a few parent/child spaces so I knew I'd have to be lucky to get one. As I pulled into the car park I saw someone who was parked in one of the spots getting in their car & turn engine on so I sat patiently with indicator on for her to pull out. As she pulled out another car coming from the other direction pulled straight into the space. I was already annoyed by this but then the driver & passenger got out with no baby or child. I could see the lady had a walking stick but still I was annoyed by the space stealing anyway. They were both looking at me as I stopped the car behind theirs & opened the window to ask if they were going to be long (thinking if they were literally popping in and out of a shop I could wait patiently). The man shrugged and said erm no idea, why? We're off food shopping so dunno. I said I would have waited if they weren't going to be long but it was ok I'd go find another space that would allow me to get my baby out safely. He got all funny with me so I pointed out it was a parent/child space and then I drove off as he walked away mid conversation. Really really annoyed me. I never get confrontational but this properly wound me up.

MLGs Thu 12-Jan-17 12:04:14

I think YANBU because they were space stealing. Not so much because it was P and C, because they did have a stick and therefore probably needed a close-ish space.

sonyaya Thu 12-Jan-17 12:15:20

YANBU about the space stealing but if they had a stick their need for the space was at least as great as yours.

Sirzy Thu 12-Jan-17 12:18:45

Them taking the space you were waiting for was wrong.

You judging them for using the space was also wrong though

SleepymrsE Thu 12-Jan-17 12:25:41

You are all right, I think because they'd got my back up by stealing the space I pulled my judgey pants on. The guys attitude wasn't great either which didn't help.

Spikeyball Thu 12-Jan-17 12:45:18

They were fine to park there but wrong to steal the space. It's happened to us a few times with blue badge spaces where I think an assumption is being made that someone young(ish) has less need of the space.

londonrach Thu 12-Jan-17 12:49:53

Space stealing is wrong. They had more right than you to the space but they shouldnt have taken the space. (Sits on fence)

NavyandWhite Thu 12-Jan-17 12:53:12

The lady had a stick so I'm guessing has some mobility issues. No way on earth would I have questioned them!

user892 Thu 12-Jan-17 12:54:04

yanbu. both for the space stealing and not having a baby.

NavyandWhite Thu 12-Jan-17 12:54:47

Space stealing? Nobody owns that space.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Thu 12-Jan-17 12:57:08

and not having a baby.

If they have a blue badge they don't need a baby!

user892 Thu 12-Jan-17 12:57:14

unless they had a blue badge but they should have been more aware of what was going on around them (that you were waiting) or if they knew, not been so rude

PurpleDaisies Thu 12-Jan-17 12:57:57

If anyone steals any space you're obviously waiting for it's rude.

I have no issue at all with people with mobility issues parking in p and c spaces in general.

user892 Thu 12-Jan-17 12:57:59

OP didn't say they had a blue badge.

NavyandWhite Thu 12-Jan-17 12:58:30

How were they rude? They were just going about their business. It was rude to question how long they were likely to be though!

user892 Thu 12-Jan-17 13:00:30

They were rude for nipping into the space when the OP had been indicating and waiting.

SauvignonBlanche Thu 12-Jan-17 13:00:42

I could see the lady had a walking stick but still I was annoyed by the space stealing anyway.

It seems churlish to get annoyed if the person's need for the space was obviously greater than yours.

user892 Thu 12-Jan-17 13:02:32

It seems churlish to get annoyed if the person's need for the space was obviously greater than yours

I disagree. The pushers-in had no idea if their need was any greater or less at the point that they took the space.

namechange20050 Thu 12-Jan-17 13:03:53

It's basic good manners not to cut in front of someone waiting for a parking space.

NavyandWhite Thu 12-Jan-17 13:04:19

Maybe they didn't see them hat the OP was waiting and indicating? Depends where they both were in the car park. If they did see her then it was rude but I'm not sure how certain the OP could be on that.

Spikeyball Thu 12-Jan-17 13:04:33

They also didn't know why the op wanted that space.
Ds has a blue badge and whilst I think this means we can use p and c spaces as well as bb ones, I wouldn't take one that someone else had indicated they were waiting for.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Thu 12-Jan-17 13:05:47

OP didn't say they had a blue badge.

Didn't say they didn't either as that would make the completely unreasonable

Sparklingbrook Thu 12-Jan-17 13:09:06

They may not have even seen the Op was waiting if they just drove up an nipped in.

Bit of a cheek to question how long they were going to be. If they said 5 minutes then sit there waiting? Just for a P&C space? confused

SleepymrsE Thu 12-Jan-17 13:15:02

I didn't see if they had a blue badge although suspect they didn't have one as there were a lot of free disabled spaces. I suppose they may not have seen me waiting (although I thought they had) in which case I would have come across as being very rude to them.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Thu 12-Jan-17 13:21:46

I've got no issue with people with mobility issues using a parent space as they may need the closeness or extra space as much or more than a parent with a child.

I would be annoyed at them dashing into a space that you are clearly waiting for. If they're being that unobservant, then how can they guarentee that they are manoeuvring safely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now