Talk

Advanced search

in thinking sometimes my periods are beyond bad?

(21 Posts)
bummymummy77 Thu 12-Jan-17 11:56:19

Posting mostly here for traffic sorry.

Do other people get periods where they feel like they have the flu? I have to pretty much plan 3-4 days at home when it starts.

Soaking through two tampons and a pad pretty quickly. Bad cramps, sweats and nausea.

I swear they're getting worse the older I get.

And I get three days of spotting beforehand now. What's that all about?

And the mood swings. Jesus it makes post pregnancy hormones look like nothing.

I've been to three doctors and one did bloods the other two said it's just life.

What do you do if you get horrific periods? I'm chugging ibuprofen and paracetamol and living with a hot water bottle.

I used to get mefanamic acid but I'm in the States now and it's too pricey. Anyone had success with evening primrose oil or anything like that?

bummymummy77 Thu 12-Jan-17 11:57:58

Sorry for the crappy, disjointed post. My brain also ceases to function. And my spatial awareness! I couldn't reverse park if you gave me £1000000! I'm normally a great parker. Yesterday I drove to the shop and had to pull over I just felt unsafe!

StandardNameHere Thu 12-Jan-17 12:30:51

I don't know how it works in the states but could you not go on a form of birth control? (I went on the pill because my periods were heavy and it made them a lot lighter)

bummymummy77 Thu 12-Jan-17 12:31:26

We're ttc so that wouldn't be the best option. grin

Flisstizzy Thu 12-Jan-17 12:56:06

Oh I was going to say don't put up with that, get the depo injection. That sounds very bad compared to what I've experienced.

DailyFail1 Thu 12-Jan-17 14:17:05

Clomid helped mine

DaisyArtichoke7 Thu 12-Jan-17 14:29:28

Doctor told me to try vitamin B6 and evening primrose oil first. I feel so much better this month I can't quite believe what a difference it has made to me.

DaisyArtichoke7 Thu 12-Jan-17 14:30:36

I don't think you can take evening primrose if TTC though

Idefix Thu 12-Jan-17 14:30:49

Tricky to suggest options with you not being in the uk op but ibuprofen can be taken and is shown to have beneficial effect on menstrual bleeding, it is also a NSAIDs.
Your gps sound a little rubbish, have you had any investigations for endometriosis etc and the spotting? Or have you not done so because of cost?
Can't really comment on evening primrose.

FourKidsNotCrazyYet Thu 12-Jan-17 14:38:41

Mine were just as you describe until I had my first baby, now I'm light, regular and pain free (well, until I step on Lego!). If you don't have children yet then hopefully they will be your miracle cure. If it carries on and it gets worse I would go back to the GP.

brasty Thu 12-Jan-17 14:50:56

I have shit periods and it has got much worse as I am approaching menopause. The only thing the Dr could really suggest is birth control, which I rejected.
I feel like I should be able to get time off for this. I do feel ill and out of it for a few days every month. And I am pretty sure others just think I am exaggerating. I really am not.
So I have every sympathy with you.

brasty Thu 12-Jan-17 14:52:10

And I have had investigations, there is nothing wrong. Could you be approaching menopause OP?

thetemptationofchocolate Thu 12-Jan-17 15:00:04

I had this for over 20 years. And got fobbed off by various doctors for all that time. It got so bad that I was having time off work each month as I could do nothing but lie on the floor and scream with the pain. When work said I'd had too much time off sick and I would be disciplined if I did it any more, I told my doctor, and finally got referred to see a gynaecologist.
The gynae sorted me out without much trouble and I've been fine since then, but the moral of this story is, don't let your GP fob you off - insist on a referral. You cannot live your life if you are incapacitated on a regular basis like that.

RatherBeRiding Thu 12-Jan-17 15:02:26

Mine used to be like that. I did hope that having children would improve the situation but, no, they became even worse and eventually I opted (post children) for thermal ablation followed by the Mirena coil.

Before that, however, nothing touched them, and out of every month I lost an entire week to my period - 3/4 days of misery, heavy bleeding, shocking pain, unable to sleep, unable to be away from a toilet, and then 3 days recovering and catching up on sleep! I tried Mefanamic acid but it made no difference.

In the end my GP advised me to take a double dose of Ibuprofen followed 2 hours later by a regular dose of Paracetamol followed 2 hours later by double Ibuprofen etc. Not ideal but as a GP had said it was safe I tried it, and it did help a bit.

I think people who've not experienced extreme period problems really have no idea how touch it is. flowers

bummymummy77 Thu 12-Jan-17 16:02:17

Having a child made it so much worse! They came back at 4 months pp even though I was breastfeeding and have been awful since.

I hope to fuck it isn't menopause!!

I'm starting clomid in a few days so hopefully that will help.

I had an internal ultrasound a few months ago when I had a burst ovarian cyst and they didn't see anything, most things would have been picked up then wouldn't they? Although the left ovary was obscured because of a stupid overactive bowel. £1400 it cost to be inconclusive angry.

I didn't know you shouldn't have evening primrose if tv, will check thanks.

I think my pre natal vitamin has all the b6 in.

bummymummy77 Thu 12-Jan-17 16:04:26

The fuzzy brain I get is awful, I forgot where I was driving on the way to the shops yesterday. Literally had to stop the car and think about where I was and what I was doing. And I misplaced my car keys over 10 times!

Leatherboundanddown Thu 12-Jan-17 16:09:45

Mine are like this. 18 years so far I have had to put up with it. The only thing that helps is the pill Dianette (co cyprindiol)

Lweji Thu 12-Jan-17 16:12:35

The minipill worked for me. I hardly had any periods. smile

But when I'm not on it, I start taking high doses of ibuprofen (1200mg every 11 hours). Note 11 hours, not 12, as it wears off by then.
And start just as soon as you know it's coming.

I don't get such a mental effect, but without any medication, I'd be in a blood bath and curled up in bed with pain and shivers as for a fever.

Lweji Thu 12-Jan-17 16:14:43

Do you have fibroids? They can cause pain and bleeding.

brasty Thu 12-Jan-17 18:42:31

A third of women in their 40s have fibroids.

bummymummy77 Thu 12-Jan-17 18:55:50

I had a big one when pregnant but no sign of one in a recent ultrasound.

We've been ttc for 3 years now so it wouldn't surprise me if something was up. Oh to be in the UK. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now