Talk

Advanced search

To warn you of the dangers of FB Live?

(62 Posts)
DaftJelly Wed 11-Jan-17 23:07:28

Holy fuck I nearly had a heart attack just then. Got into bed, stopped twatting around on FB and put my phone on charge. Had a nice sleepy roll together with DH. Got up to go to the loo after and picked up my phone. It was on the camera with the 'go live' button flashing shock. For a horrible couple of seconds I thought I'd just streamed the sound of us shagging to my entire FB. I'm pretty sure I didn't, but it was a close thing.

Can you imagine the horror?

Just remember you're one click away from total mortification. I will be double checking from now on.

<cringe>

PaulAnkaTheDog Wed 11-Jan-17 23:11:16

Yes!!!! Its far too easy to push and almost end up live. I keep doing it and I don't like it. Wish there was a way to disable it from your account.

ollieplimsoles Wed 11-Jan-17 23:12:39

It seems like a bad idea to me, I'm just waiting til someone uses it while attempting suicide or commiting a violent crime, something like that...

MagicChicken Wed 11-Jan-17 23:14:27

I have never heard of FB Live. What the hell is it? Sounds awful. How would l even know if I had accidentally turned it on?

DaftJelly Wed 11-Jan-17 23:15:47

It's a live video, straight from your camera to you Facebook wall.

I had no idea it was just a click away, I've never done it.

ChasedByBees Wed 11-Jan-17 23:16:11

Someone already has used it to film a violent crime - I believe the trial was fairly recent. I'll try and find it.

MiddleClassProblem Wed 11-Jan-17 23:19:02

I accidentally did it twice. Fortunately neither too much and just the ceiling but you can delete after. One nearly got me as I was taking my kit off for the bath. Fortunately I wasn't in shot and still had my top on.

treaclesoda Wed 11-Jan-17 23:19:04

ollie it has already happened, there was a news story last week about a violent attack being streamed live on facebook in America.

ChasedByBees Wed 11-Jan-17 23:19:20

Here: www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38525549

theothercatpurred Wed 11-Jan-17 23:30:42

Can you turn the functionality off so it doesn't happen by accident?

emanegnahc Wed 11-Jan-17 23:31:04

You can disallow the Facebook app from having camera and mic access in your phone settings if you want to avoid this. That's what I've done.

MollyHuaCha Wed 11-Jan-17 23:31:10

Can't disable it? Sounds like a good reason not to have Facebook.

theothercatpurred Wed 11-Jan-17 23:42:25

Is it only on the app or Facebook in your browser too?

(I don't have the Facebook app but I do have Messinger)

Bingowingslikeashieldofsteel Wed 11-Jan-17 23:47:16

I almost live streamed my boobs while getting into bed the other night - thankfully I noticed the 'are you sure you want to go live' type message or it could have seriously damaged a number of my facebook friends!

Catsize Wed 11-Jan-17 23:51:19

I'd never heard of it until 10mins ago - saw a story in the Independent about a woman who died whilst using it - she collapsed whilst holding her son. Nobody did anything.

minisausage Wed 11-Jan-17 23:51:50

I'm sure a girl recently committed suicide on FB live??

SJD25 Wed 11-Jan-17 23:59:10

Almost sent a live video of my double chin, from that awful angle when you accidentally open up your phone camera, more than once. shockblush

SuperRainbows Thu 12-Jan-17 00:00:56

Is this automatically on all FB, or do you have to install it? Never heard of it and don't want it, but wondering if I already have it! I'm such a FB newbie.

BridgetDarcy Thu 12-Jan-17 00:02:21

Is this only an issue in the app??

CafeAuLaitMerci Thu 12-Jan-17 00:24:27

I don't use FB, thankfully, or I'd have sent R rated video out by now I'm sure....eeek.

That case of the disabled teenage boy is awful. I heard about it on the radio. I wouldn't watch it if you find the link anywhere, there are some things you can't unsee.

I'd like to get my hands on the bastards.

CakesRUs Thu 12-Jan-17 01:03:13

I had a text off my niece saying I was on facebook live, trying to wake my severely disabled son up. I deleted it, not before she'd saved the video herself. I'm always butt dialing people.

MagicChicken Thu 12-Jan-17 03:20:33

Oh so that's how the video of the boy being tortured in the states was streamed! I did wonder because the first new report said it was on youtube and then the next said it was live on FB which I did a confused face at but didn't think any more about it.

This sounds dreadful, Im sure we can look forward to seeing every Friday night punch up outside the pub streamed live as well as suicides, the immediate aftermath of bombs and car accidents, and accidental shagging, pooing and nose picking, all uncensored. OH THE JOY. hmm

JC23 Thu 12-Jan-17 05:03:25

On the iPhone if you go:
Settings > Facebook > Settings
You can disallow Facebook from using the camera and microphone

JC23 Thu 12-Jan-17 05:05:07

Or go
Settings > Privacy
And you can do it for all apps.

languagelearner Thu 12-Jan-17 05:21:41

Haha... "Just remember you're one click away from total mortification." True in many circumstances! Just as well I don't have FB on my phone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now