Talk

Advanced search

to ask you how to get rid of the stink?

(39 Posts)
myoriginal3 Wed 11-Jan-17 23:03:30

Stink of sewage coming up through shower plug hole. It's definitely coming from there. I have tried toilet cleaner down hole but smell subsides for minutes only.
I have also ran shower for several minutes at a time.

History:
Overflow of toilet cistern rectified third January.

Only today confirmed that shower was source of smell. Smell is new but I attributed it to my own ass until repeated bleaching of toilet and opening shower door and nearly collapsing from the honk.

What can I do until rectified?

myoriginal3 Wed 11-Jan-17 23:05:11

It's giving me a headache. Seriously. The smell is.

Jellybean83 Wed 11-Jan-17 23:05:47

Zoflora is probably your best bet, very potent and genuinely works.

myoriginal3 Wed 11-Jan-17 23:08:15

I have used most of a bottle cleaning bathroom with zoflora. The stink just seems to rise despite anything.

DJBaggySmalls Wed 11-Jan-17 23:08:42

Pour a bucket of hot water and biological washing powder down the plug hole, then use a plug until its fixed. If you dont have a spare bodge one up from something like a rubber glove filled with water.

Grilledaubergines Wed 11-Jan-17 23:09:24

Caustic soda crystals. Pour down hole. Don't rinse straightaway - leave it a few hours.

myoriginal3 Wed 11-Jan-17 23:10:12

It's rank. And embarrassing!

myoriginal3 Wed 11-Jan-17 23:13:45

Hmm
I don't have caustic soda
I can't plug it as hole is flush with surface of shower.

Grilledaubergines Wed 11-Jan-17 23:15:20

Got any vinegar and a pot of bicarbonate of soda?

Jellybean83 Wed 11-Jan-17 23:15:26

Aw that's rubbish for you, when we had a problem with our blocked pipes Zoflora really did work, took the rotten eggy smell away. Hopefully another person will be along to suggest something that will work for you, fingers crossed it'll be sorted soon.

QueenMortificado Wed 11-Jan-17 23:15:32

This happened to me in my old flat. A plumber came in and said its because there is no u-bend in the pipe so the smells were coming directly from the sewage something pipe. (This is to the best of my memory and some clever plumber-type may come along and say it's utter bollocks but I'm fairly sure that's what he said)

OneWithTheForce Wed 11-Jan-17 23:18:16

Is it clogged up with hair? You might need to buy some drain unclogged before doing the washing powder/ soda crystals and zoflora.

Catzpyjamas Wed 11-Jan-17 23:18:43

Another vote for bicarbonate of soda and vinegar.

myoriginal3 Wed 11-Jan-17 23:19:14

It's a new phenomenon since plumber was here fixing the overflowing toilet so I'm not sure this trusty plumber knows his arse from his elbow

OneWithTheForce Wed 11-Jan-17 23:20:12

Ooh sounds like he has dislodged something or blocked something.

myoriginal3 Wed 11-Jan-17 23:22:19

It's not clogged up with anything.

Do all of you genuinely have an arsenal of bicarbonate of soda and soda crystals in your cupboards? grin

QueenMortificado Wed 11-Jan-17 23:24:48

I reckon it's what I said OP, Google says it can happen if the water in the p-trap dries up - ie there's no block between open air in your bathroom and the sewage pipe

Is it possible he wazzocked around and emptied the trap?

Found it from this article dengarden.com/home-improvement/Phew-Whats-that-awful-smell-Could-it-be-sewer-gas-invading-your-home

Alteratively ask @pigletjohn as he knows everything

Catzpyjamas Wed 11-Jan-17 23:26:29

No arsenal of stuff - Bicarbonate of soda for baking and vinegar for chips! grin

Grilledaubergines Wed 11-Jan-17 23:27:39

Well bicarbonate of soda Is always in the cupboard for cooking/baking and yes always a bottle of caustic soda crystals ever since I had a similar problem. Pour it in when going to bed and then in the morning pour a boiling kettle of water down and it's clean as a whistle.

myoriginal3 Wed 11-Jan-17 23:28:02

It is possible the bollox did anything as I was in hospital while he was here! I'll be back in hospital from the fumes soon, so he can come out and do more harm.

ageingrunner Wed 11-Jan-17 23:28:49

Do you actually use the shower op? If you don't use it regularly, the water in the trap can evaporate and that will allow sewer smells to come up the pipe. The trap can't empty if water is going down the pipe regularly afaik.

ageingrunner Wed 11-Jan-17 23:29:42

Not suggesting you don't shower btw! Just that you may have more than one bathroom

UnconventionalWarfare Wed 11-Jan-17 23:30:06

Quite how fixing an overflowing cistern would affect the waste connection in any way is interesting. Although until you actually find out the true cause slagging the previous plumber off is more than a little unfair.

Rosierose98 Wed 11-Jan-17 23:33:35

Mr Muscle drain cleaner, ASDA sells it. Although I used this for my kitchen sink plug hole, horrible rancid foul eggy smell, stunk the kitchen out. I now use this once a month & so far no return of the smell. Blocked dirty pipes can cause awful smell. Worth a try.

Fozzleyplum Wed 11-Jan-17 23:38:50

I suspect the valve which controls the release of air from the sewer might be sticking. In some properties, it sits above the line of the roof and so can be accessed to be fixed. In some newer houses, like mine, it exits into a space behind the walls and can be difficult to access. A reputable plumber will be able to advise.
Disclaimer: I'm not a plumber, but we have a similar problem and when I can be bothered, I'm going to have a hole knocked in the wall to get the valve repaired.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now