Talk

Advanced search

To wonder what the point of those extendable leads are?

(50 Posts)
luckylucky24 Wed 11-Jan-17 18:45:54

Other than maybe if your dog doesn't return on fields I cannot see how they are a good idea? We have had training leads before that were not traditional extendable so no need for that purpose and the number of times dogs have wandered into the bloody road in front of my car is frustrating. Because they are on those stupid leads it takes the owner ages to get control when they should already have control especially on a main road or housing estate at peak times of traffic!

Costacoffeeplease Wed 11-Jan-17 18:50:17

Then it's the owners at fault not the leads

luckylucky24 Wed 11-Jan-17 18:52:18

But what is the point of the leads? Owners should have control of their dogs and these leads do not amount to that so what is the point of them?

Costacoffeeplease Wed 11-Jan-17 18:54:25

We use them, our dogs can't be off lead so this gives them a bit of freedom to have a sniff around

GreyHare Wed 11-Jan-17 18:54:27

They are very good at allowing your dog some freedom whilst still keeping them safe, sadly they are use/abused by twats who don't know how to use them correctly and responsibly, therefore tarring us considerate owners with the same brush.

TrustySnail Wed 11-Jan-17 19:00:30

We've always used one - on the short setting near main roads and in pedestrian areas, on the longer settings in parks where we want to run about with the dog but the area isn't suitable (too many people about who he might annoy) for letting him off leash.

Also, in countryside areas where livestock is in nearby fields, it's normally a requirement to have your dog leashed - the long lead means he can still benefit from meandering about at will, without endangering livestock.

If kept locked on the short setting, the dog is no more likely to run in front of a car than on a conventional leash.

DorotheaBeale Wed 11-Jan-17 19:00:55

As a pedestrian, I think they're a bloody menace. The dog shoots off unpredictably, you can't tell which way to go in order to avoid getting tangled up in it, sometimes you can't see the lead against a grey pavement, so can't tell if the dog's on a lead or not.

I once saw a dog on an extendable lead that was on one side of a road, person holding the lead was on the other side of the road.

But even on a short lead, so many dogs don't seem to be trained to walk to heel these days, and their owners struggle to control them.

Nameforsaken Wed 11-Jan-17 19:04:31

I tried one once when my dog was a puppy. 1st ever dog so was still learning. He is a big dog fast dog (large lurcher) and he ran full pelt once and took the lead with him before I could stop it, when it came to the full length I nearly decapitated him! Never used one since and can't actually see the point of them either

TrustySnail Wed 11-Jan-17 19:04:43

The dog shoots off unpredictably

Not if the lead is locked on a short setting - which is how they should be used on roads and pavements.

Dog and owner on opposite sides of the road joined by a lead is simply insane!

Wolfiefan Wed 11-Jan-17 19:06:04

These shouldn't be used when walking on a pavement. They can snap.
They can be used in a safe space when a dog hasn't got reliable recall.
Shouldn't be used on a sighthound or on any dog not in a harness.

Costacoffeeplease Wed 11-Jan-17 19:07:11

So it's owners rather than leads, as I thought?

Cherryskypie Wed 11-Jan-17 19:07:20

I swap asshole dog onto an extending lead once we get to fields. He can't be trusted off lead. It's not a recall issue.

ChicRock Wed 11-Jan-17 19:08:30

We're using one on our puppy at the moment.

It's locked on short setting on roads or busy areas. In the park when there's nobody around he can run off up to 8m and we can practice recall.

Wolfiefan Wed 11-Jan-17 19:08:47

Haha at asshole dog. My mum has a dog that can be iffy with other dogs. She uses an extending lead once at the park.
Often I think they are just used by people who can't be bothered to train for recall.

DorotheaBeale Wed 11-Jan-17 19:08:57

Not if the lead is locked on a short setting - which is how they should be used on roads and pavements.

But unfortunately too often aren't.

Mrsemcgregor Wed 11-Jan-17 19:11:59

I thought this post read "extendable ears" and was a Harry Potter thread.

slinks off to find a Harry Potter thread

CrohnicallyPregnant Wed 11-Jan-17 19:12:12

Yep, the leads are fine, it's inconsiderate owners.

I use an extending lead when I walk my SIL's dog, I have DD(4) to watch as well so won't let Ddog off lead as I would go boss-eyed trying to keep track of them both. Half the walk is along footpaths not pavements. While we are on pavement Ddog is locked close to me but when we are not near a road it means Ddog can sniff and toilet comfortably if she needs to (yes, I pick up after her).

TrustySnail Wed 11-Jan-17 19:13:16

They can snap

I think they're unlikely to snap unless the dog is pulling on the lead and/or it's excessively worn. If a dog is tugging, even a conventional lead can be pulled out of the owner's grasp - nothing is 100% safe if you have a dog that strains at the leash, and that's a training issue rather than an issue with type of leash.

DorotheaBeale I agree - many people don't use them sensibly.

PlymouthMaid1 Wed 11-Jan-17 19:18:32

Used one for recall training but don't like them for regular walks.

Wolfiefan Wed 11-Jan-17 19:23:21

There is actually a real risk they can snap. Many are just cord type leads. If the dog runs full on to the end of the lead and doesn't stop then the lead can snap. Ordinary leads don't allow a dog to build up enough momentum and are generally sturdier. They are also more likely to be pulled out of the owner's hands for the same reason.

Prompto Wed 11-Jan-17 19:23:58

It's the owners, not the dogs. Used correctly I can see how they're good. DM uses one for her very stubborn, walk resistant dog when she takes him up to the fields, she can safely walk ahead while he trails behind like a stroppy teen being forced to 'enjoy' fresh air and exercise grin

Then there's the wrong way like the owner I encountered today. Walking alongside a busy road with DS in the pushchair, I passed someone with a dog on an extendable lead. Lead wasn't locked and dog was roaming ahead, having a bit of an investigate of the environment to as dogs do. The dog caught us up and stuck it's head in the pushchair - cue screaming from DS - and took his biscuit out of his hand, scoffed it then ran across the front of the pushchair and around the back to me, jumped up at me (hugely pregnant) sniffing and locking, jumped down, went around the back of me and back to the front of the buggy to have another sniff of DS (more screaming from him). All of this in the space of a few seconds but left DS upset, dog had eaten something it potentially shouldn't have (biscuit had chocolate on it) and my legs were tied to the pushchair with the lead. Owner was ambling along like it was absolutely nothing to be concerned about and I had to tell him to get his dog under control. Once we were untangled and set off again it tried to catch us up again so I had to say to please either lock the lead or wait for us to get far enough ahead that it couldn't catch up.

TrustySnail Wed 11-Jan-17 19:38:47

If the dog runs full on to the end of the lead and doesn't stop then the lead can snap

I didn't think they were designed to be used at maximum extent - the idea is that they move in and out loosely with your dog's movements, and you call the dog in the normal way to bring him back (but have the safeguard of being able to lock the lead immediately if he doesn't respond and is straying where he shouldn't).

I understand that there are plenty of irresponsible owners who'll misuse this type of lead, but are the consequences any more dangerous than those of irresponsible owners letting an inadequately trained dog off-leash altogether?

If we accept that, like it or not, there are irresponsible owners, extendable leads would at least seem to mitigate some risks -

If an untrained dog, off leash, runs towards the road 10 times, that's 10 times he will end up in the road.

If an untrained dog on an extendable leash runs towards the road 10 times, 9 times out of 10 the lead will stop him, on the 10th time it might snap - that's still 9 times an accident has been averted.

I agree there may be different risks - eg. the trip risk with extendables mentioned by a PP, but I do think this is an owner-behaviour issue, like so many dog-related controversies, and not an inherent fault in extendable lead use.

harderandharder2breathe Wed 11-Jan-17 19:53:05

It's the owners at fault not the lead. Ddog is too tiny to ever be able to break his, and has dodgy recall. So he's on it fixed to short on pavements and crowded areas, and long in parks and dog friendly beaches.

Figure17a Wed 11-Jan-17 19:56:10

I saw a cyclist tipped off his bike by one last weekend. It was one of those dual use paths with a white line down the middle. Cyclists on one side an pedestrians on the other. The cyclist was on the right side, so was the pedestrian holding the lead but the dog was on the grass verge on the other side, with the lead extended across the cycle path. Somehow the owner was convinced it was the cyclist's fault.

TrustySnail Wed 11-Jan-17 20:21:28

Figure17a that's terrible behaviour from the dog owner. The dog shouldn't be straying into the cycle area at all - any more than people would let their children walk along it. A risk to both cyclist and dog.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now