Talk

Advanced search

To be sad about the demise of tap washers?

(8 Posts)
HeirOfNothingInParticular Wed 11-Jan-17 17:47:33

Back in the the day, your tap dripped, you replaced the washer, job done. Now the tap drips, I spend ages searching online for a compatible ceramic tap valve cartridge, eventually give up as it impossible to source one, and resign myself to replacing the taps. This is a job that is a bit too much of a stretch for my diy skills, so will have to get someone in to do it.

The taps in question are about 4 years old, so fairly new. It seems so wasteful to have to replace a pair of taps because of a drip. Suppliers (in this case B&Q Cooke and Lewis) should be required to stock spares for a minimum number of years to stop this, or even better, how about a few standard valves? This is the second time I've been stung with this bathroom suite, the toilet valve was really difficult to get hold of (and of course not available in B&Q) but I've stocked up with these.

BackforGood Wed 11-Jan-17 18:12:10

I hear you.
Couldn't believe what a big job it turned into when our kitchen tap started dripping.

Waterfeature Wed 11-Jan-17 18:16:42

The thermostat went in our bath tap. I managed to get a new part (£100) instead of a whole new tap (£350). Guy at the plumbers merchant said it was worth getting a more expensive brand for that reason.

This was the bathroom (quite old and a bit shabby) that came with the house so I'm relieved rather than smug...

Sympathies.

Lostpangolin Wed 11-Jan-17 19:28:37

You may be able to recut the seat of the tap, since the washer is very rarely the problem. Water pressure forces it's way cutting tiny grooves in the seat. Recut the seat, removing the grooves, should solve the problem.

MrGrumpy01 Wed 11-Jan-17 19:33:17

I have a b&q tap. We have had it about 4 yrs and had it fixed at least 4 times. I have since heard that their taps ate rubbish and very prone to going. We have the same issue where the hot tap of the mixer fails to work. As in no water comes out.

icanteven Wed 11-Jan-17 19:49:33

Yes! I had no idea that this had become a thing until very recently. :/

HeirOfNothingInParticular Wed 11-Jan-17 20:00:02

Lostpangolin - thanks, but that sounds more difficult than the tap change! Think I will just get a cheapish pair from Screwfix and ask my brother very nicely if he will change them for me.

Gubbins Wed 11-Jan-17 20:02:39

YANBU. They are still possible to get though. I've replaced our ceramic disc taps with proper ones that you can twist all the way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now