Talk

Advanced search

To think you're not a special snowflake if you can't adhere to company policy.

(88 Posts)
ScreechingWeasel Wed 11-Jan-17 17:46:18

New employee in my department. Policy states no visible tattoos, neat appearance, clothing regulations and sensible hairstyles.

Within a month new employee has coloured her hair pink, had a sleeve tattoo and refuses to stick to uniform policy. She claims she's being discriminated against and should be allowed to express herself. Employer obviously disagrees.

AIBU to think you are not exempt from the rules just because you feel like it? Other people in the office think she should be left alone and are making me feel like an old fussy woman!

TitaniasCloset Wed 11-Jan-17 17:49:42

Yanbu. If the job requires a certain dress code she should be sticking to that, or get a job elsewhere.

AddToBasket Wed 11-Jan-17 17:50:46

Why do you care?

starfishmummy Wed 11-Jan-17 17:52:57

I am with you in the fussy corner too. She knew the policy and decided to flaunt it. The hair wouldnt worry me as long as it was tidy but not wearing the uniform and having a visible tattoo is not on!

Iceiceice Wed 11-Jan-17 17:53:43

YANBU.
She's an adult and some jobs expect you to present yourself a certain way. she knew this when she took it on.

My other half was asked to shave when he started working with children who have autism and downs syndrome. some of them have a massive issue with beards. he didn't sit whining he just makes sure he's had a shave! It's hardly hurting him.

GeillisTheWitch Wed 11-Jan-17 17:53:43

She sounds pretty dim if she's willing to flout the rules so spectacularly in her first month, presumably while still on probation.

gamerchick Wed 11-Jan-17 17:55:21

While still on probation? Brave lass or someone out for a scrap if she's let go.

MrsMoastyToasty Wed 11-Jan-17 17:57:23

Does it impact on her ability to do her job?

Lilaclily Wed 11-Jan-17 17:58:54

Is it a customer facing role then?

Smitff Wed 11-Jan-17 17:59:21

What's it go to do with you?

ScreechingWeasel Wed 11-Jan-17 18:00:31

I care because I make an effort to stick to regulations! It's public facing so appearance matters.

If we're allowed to choose which rules we follow perhaps I'll start showing up in my onesie.

beanfilledfish Wed 11-Jan-17 18:01:49

What's with the arsey replies ? She should get sacked sounds like a plonker

ailPartout Wed 11-Jan-17 18:02:24

Smitff

I suspect that besides a sense of injustice that the OP needs to stick to the rules, she doesn't want to be associated with a pink-haired, tattooed, inappropriately dressed co-worker.

I don't think she'll be there long OP so take a deep breath and relax!

TheMysteriousJackelope Wed 11-Jan-17 18:12:03

It doesn't matter if her appearance has no impact on how she does her job. The employer is not a government entity, they have no legal requirement to allow their employees freedom of expression through speech, dress, or hair style. They have every right to set up rules and procedures and a disciplinary policy to be followed if someone flouts those rules and procedures. Companies don't set up dress codes for the sheer thrill of it all, it's because someone decided to come to work in elastic waisted bloomers made out of curtain fabric with a cabbage rose print, paired with a sleeveless Fair Isle top, Birkenstocks and hair like a Donald Trump fright wig. Yes I saw this at work once, yes it was ridiculous, yes the dress code followed shortly thereafter.

BlueFolly Wed 11-Jan-17 18:13:56

I don't think these areas of self expression are covered by the discrimination legislation, so she hasn't a leg to stand on.

SoupDragon Wed 11-Jan-17 18:15:04

I suspect that besides a sense of injustice that the OP needs to stick to the rules, she doesn't want to be associated with a pink-haired, tattooed, inappropriately dressed co-worker.

What information from the OP makes you come up with that?

SnatchedPencil Wed 11-Jan-17 18:16:39

If that is the policy and she has signed it then it sounds like she is just trying to get herself sacked.

The real question is whether the policy itself is appropriate. Is there a need for strict rules on tattoos and so on? A lot of companies have these rules for no other reason than the MD "wants everyone to look smart" or "doesn't like tattoos." Neither of these are good reasons - a good reason would be "customers see you and expect you to look professional" for example - but that is open to debate as to whether a tattoo is likely to offend customers.

In any case, she sounds like trouble. People who deliberately flaunt the rules and claim "discrimination" at the start of their employment are unlikely to change their behaviour over time. The initial period is when most people try to avoid ruffling feathers and only want to be noticed for positive things.

If they actually want to keep the job, that is.

melj1213 Wed 11-Jan-17 18:19:01

It would be one thing if people were bringing it up now but she had exhibited the pink hair/tattoo/quirky dress style at the interview but she was still hired anyway. If that had happened then she could argue that she shouldn't have been hired in the first place if they were deal breakers, however, it's not discrimination to expect people to follow the rules they agreed to when they signed up for the job.

Having said that, I could understand if she'd asked how strict those rules are, I work in retail and we have the same rules - natural hair colours, no visible tattoos, no statement jewellery pieces or piercings other than ears - but my hair is dyed a deep purple and I have a tattoo on the upper part of my forearm (although my uniform shirt is long sleeved and would cover it, if I push my sleeves up when it's hot/I'm cleaning up a spill then it would be visible) and my boss is fine with both when I asked about them.

StealthPolarBear Wed 11-Jan-17 18:20:05

While in principle I agree with following dress codes and would adhere
I do have an issue with them in general. How many jobs can't you do with a visible tattoo?
If it's not offensive, such as Donald trumps face, then it should be allowed imo. I'd much rather dress codes focused on clean fingernails, hair not in food (for those types of jobs ).

InTheKitchenAtParties Wed 11-Jan-17 18:20:34

YANBU.
But the policy is outdated. Pink hair and tattoos are hardly shocking or unusual these days.

Recentlylazy Wed 11-Jan-17 18:21:30

His/her employment contact will Almost certainly require them to follow the rules. Therefore you are on strong ground. However I do remember not understanding the rules of "work" when I was that age. Any chance of having a quiet word before taking action? Someone was kind enough to do this to me. I listened, if this person does great, if not you have done all you can

ailPartout Wed 11-Jan-17 18:21:41

What information from the OP makes you come up with that?

The OP said "AIBU to think you are not exempt from the rules just because you feel like it?" having described a pink haired, tattooed employee who "refuses to stick to uniform policy".

RockyBird Wed 11-Jan-17 18:21:51

I used to work with a lady who either dressed like Minnie Mouse or as if she was off to the beach in Spain. She didn't have a client facing role so no harm done. I thought she looked fabulous (she had the figure to go with her dress sense) and looked forward to seeing what she was wearing each day. You should have heard the bitching behind her back though. That was disgusting.

CommunionHelp Wed 11-Jan-17 18:22:05

Why do you care?

If we applied this reasoning to all threads, there'd be about a dozen left and they'd probably all be about cakes and Facebook.

BraveDancing Wed 11-Jan-17 18:23:02

Eh. I personally disagree with those work policies but it's not my call. Odds are she'll get sacked but if you're not her manager it's none of your business. Stay out of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now