Talk

Advanced search

Poppet at 45!!

(12 Posts)
Ilovecaindingle Wed 11-Jan-17 10:11:06

Am I /it unreasonable to call someone near your own age 'poppet'?
Rang school today to inform the secretary my ds isn't having a great week (ME sufferer)
The secretary only saw me Monday so is likely aware of my age (ish as had make up and hair actually styled not wild for a change!)
Sincere lady and runs the school with love and care imo!
I didn't take offence or feel spoken down in any way but are terms of endearment age related /age appropriate or a habit people have and use them just in general regardless?
So who has called you what and were you offended or just hmm?

xStefx Wed 11-Jan-17 10:14:11

Aw bless, perhaps she is used to calling the kids that and said it by mistake. Although I do call some people " lovely " a lot without realising until my boss pointed it out to me.

TheNaze73 Wed 11-Jan-17 10:14:33

It's not very professional & if it offended you than so be it.

TwitterQueen1 Wed 11-Jan-17 10:15:36

I take whatever I can get with a smile.
They are pretty much always meant kindly and nicely. Also, I'm old and fat so it perks me up.

TheFairyCaravan Wed 11-Jan-17 10:17:01

She did it out of habit. I bet she's mortified.

As long as people are polite I don't mind what they call me!

meridithssister Wed 11-Jan-17 10:17:05

She is probably used to saying poppet to all the children whose name she can't remember. I said 'ok love see you later' to a senior manager yesterday shock

heppi Wed 11-Jan-17 10:18:50

It was probably a sympathy thing, for your and your ds's situation. Plus the habit thing, as others are saying.

x2boys Wed 11-Jan-17 10:19:06

yeah it probably slipped out if shes used to calling the children poppet all day i once told a patient in his 70s he was a good boy for taking his medication i had toddlers at the time.

DontTouchTheMoustache Wed 11-Jan-17 10:19:14

I am from up north (born and bred in Lancashire and moved to yorkshire) so I spend my life being called love, duck, flower, poppet, my lovely, pet etc. If someone is being really affectionate it's either knob'ead or dick'ead. I am perfectly happy with this 😊

mumblechum0 Wed 11-Jan-17 10:24:11

I'm a Northerner too, living down South and I actively like it when people call me Flower, Lovey, etc.

Wouldn't be remotely offended in these circs.

I still accidentally call people love, they look at me funny in the Home Counties.

Isadora2007 Wed 11-Jan-17 10:28:48

I love being called nice things and always feel like the person is being kind rather than patronising.

CaoNiMa Wed 11-Jan-17 11:20:27

Someone called me "young lady" the other day. I'm 36! I was tempted to reply with "Old man"...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now