Talk

Advanced search

To ask how to get bloody grease stains out of clothes?

(17 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Wed 11-Jan-17 09:52:45

I'm sick to death of dressing the kids in clean clothes, only to realise later that their jumper/tshirt has grease marks all down the front angry Happens occasionally with my own stuff too. We can only use ecover non bio washing detergent due to skin allergies, although I've used vanish once or twice on stained items and it hasn't resulted in any rashes. I'm tempted to chuck everything into a bucket of weak vanish before the washing machine. Will this work?

Wantagoodname Wed 11-Jan-17 10:01:14

Washing up liquid

nbee84 Wed 11-Jan-17 10:01:21

Washing up liquid rubbed into the stain before you put it in the washing machine.

Wantagoodname Wed 11-Jan-17 10:01:47

Sorry put washing up liquid on the stain, leave for 10 mins then chuck in a normal wash

loona13 Wed 11-Jan-17 10:03:17

Washing up liquid as long as possible before wash x

ThanksForAllTheFish Wed 11-Jan-17 10:11:21

Yes agree with others washing up liquid or even shampoo soaked on grease stains helps remove them. I would also recommend the occasional wash with a bio powder/ liquid to help keep clothes stain free. Just do a quick cycle rewash afterwards with your normal powder to get rid of the skin irritating stuff.

I also use ecover/ surecare due to skin issues and I tend to use a 20 degree wash whenever possible (my machine is 20 or 40 with no 30 option or I would use that.) I find every so often I need to do a 40 wash with a standard bio powder to keep my clothes looking good.

Gingernaut Wed 11-Jan-17 10:14:29

Try not to use too much though, or else the washing machine has trouble with the suds.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheTimeG0es Wed 11-Jan-17 10:18:10

Rub in talc, run over it with a hot iron (no steam) and brush off with a flannel or towel. Works far better than washing up liquid.

Pradaqueen Wed 11-Jan-17 10:19:24

Iron the stain (no steam)with brown paper. The grease will soak into the paper.

OhGrace Wed 11-Jan-17 10:41:23

Talcum powder over night then wash.

TaraCarter Wed 11-Jan-17 10:55:08

Try ecover stain remover.

Flisstizzy Wed 11-Jan-17 12:58:13

Interesting, I've never heard of talc. I have had some success with washing immediately with vanish in v cold water, then a 40 degree was again with vanish.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 11-Jan-17 13:01:43

I assume you are aware, but most reactions to washing powders are due to the specific additives used, as opposed to whether they or bio or non bio.

So depending on how serious the skin reactions are may be worth trying some different bio detergents?

tinyterrors Wed 11-Jan-17 13:15:45

Washing powder / stain remover won't get rid of grease stains. You need something that will cut through the grease.

Washing up liquid rubbed in and left overnight before washing should get rid of it.

Lemon juice works too but ime is better on fresh grease marks.

acquiescence Wed 11-Jan-17 13:29:41

Kitchen counter sprays with decreaser in work wonders.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 11-Jan-17 13:32:17

Washing up liquid will do it,leave on over night then wash as normal.

dollydaydream114 Wed 11-Jan-17 13:48:14

Washing up liquid is good for removing grease/oil type stains, and if that doesn't work - Swarfega. It's designed to dissolve engine grease, which is why mechanics always have it in their workshops to scrub their hands with, and I've found it gets grease spots off clothes very well. Rub it in really well before you chuck the clothes in the wash.

Swarfega has a very strong and distinctive smell (which I actually like, but most people don't) but the smell doesn't linger after the clothes have been washed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now