Talk

Advanced search

Would it bother you if school showed a movie with a rating above your child's age?

(209 Posts)
Keremy Tue 10-Jan-17 13:19:03

DC1 ended up in school in a mixed year group due to an event just before Christmas.

The children involved were year 8 to 10 so 12 to 15. The teacher was aware of the kids ages.

Dc1 had been asking to watch a film and as it was three years above their age range I refused. They have seen 12s at 11 and stuff so I'm not a total fuddy duddy but I think it is entirely dependent on the film.

Anyway dc came home saying they had watched this film and I have just checked with another parent and it is true.

HecateAntaia Tue 10-Jan-17 13:20:34

It depends on the film.

Whosthemummynow Tue 10-Jan-17 13:23:59

It doesn't depend on the film at all.

The teacher should have known, and checked the rating before putting it on

madamginger Tue 10-Jan-17 13:24:02

Depends on the film, I've let 8 yr old DS watch the newest Star Wars films and they are 12a.

Trifleorbust Tue 10-Jan-17 13:25:22

Film ratings denote the age at which a child is allowed to buy or rent the film, not see it. A responsible adult can show a 15 to a person below that age and not break any laws. A teacher might be advised to seek parental permission but actually they don't have to.

Whosthemummynow Tue 10-Jan-17 13:25:28

That's the whole point tho!! YOU decided.
The op didn't get to decide.

And 12a is suitable for an 8 year. Hence the "a"

manicinsomniac Tue 10-Jan-17 13:25:58

Depends on the film and why the rating has been given. Also on the child. For my children, anything rated for horror or violence is a no. Language, sex and nudity I'm more flexible. But other children would be unmoved by horror and violence and other parents will feel differently about different aspects.

I do think the school is silly not to check. Whenever I've used a film that's too high an age rating for the children (I only teach up to Y8 so we're always talking about 12s not 15s) I send an email asking parents to ignore the email if happy but reject permission if not happy.

I'd say about 2 - 3% of parents object. So not many but not worth the complaints and potential legal implications of not checking.

JustSpeakSense Tue 10-Jan-17 13:26:17

It depends on the film.

What was it?

Somerville Tue 10-Jan-17 13:26:32

Yes it would bother me, and I would go into school to discuss it.

TheDuchessOfKidderminster Tue 10-Jan-17 13:26:56

Wouldn't bother me, so long as it wasn't something really unsuitable like Reservoir Dogs.

Rainydayspending Tue 10-Jan-17 13:27:21

Yes, if I found out about it after the event. I certainly would expect a warning/ opportunity to remove a child. Categories are fairly good but I am more comfortable with my children watching something of a slightly too high category because of nudity etc or hearing inneuendo/ swearing than I am with the violence and gore. But I can't decide for anyone else as a parent. Nor would I expect a teacher to decide whether my child was mature enough for x/y/z. Especially when children will "tough it out" around friends so much.

Whosthemummynow Tue 10-Jan-17 13:29:23

People saying it wouldn't bother them.... The OP clearly states she had already told her DC they weren't to watch it.

Somerville Tue 10-Jan-17 13:29:43

This is the legal position (from BBFC website):

What is the legal position of a teacher who wants to show pupils a film or video at a higher category than their age?

The BBFC's cinema age ratings only apply films shown in licensed cinemas. If you are taking an school group to the cinema for a standard screening where you are paying to view the film the normal rules and laws apply, so you may not take a 14 year old to see a 15 rated film or a 16 year old to see an 18 rated film.

The age rating for a DVD, video or Blu-ray explains the audience we believe the film is suitable for and applies to point of sale or rental, rather than to where the material is viewed. It is not actually illegal for schools to show BBFC-rated videos or DVDs or Blu-ray to its pupils of any age, just as parents may also chose to show any material to children in the home. Merely showing an age restricted film to underaged persons - or allowing them to see one outside a licensed cinema - is not in itself an offence.

We would, however, strongly discourage such a practice unless (a) the children in question are only a year or so below the age stated on the certificate, and (b) there is a serious educational purpose to showing the recording (eg showing well-known works or educational films such as 15 rated Schindler's List to 14 year old GCSE students). Even in such cases clearly schools should seek parental consent prior to showing it. We would also recommend obtaining the approval of the Head Teacher and Governors. It is vital to make sure that any children watching are not likely to suffer any ill effects as a result of seeing the film.

Floggingmolly Tue 10-Jan-17 13:30:01

What was the film? I'm assuming it had a 15 rating, not an 18?

ThanksForAllTheFish Tue 10-Jan-17 13:31:28

I think this is why the 12 rating changed to 12a. Some younger kids are fine with it and others are not.

DD is 7 and she's seen a few 12a's - Star Wars, pixels and a couple of the Harry potters. (Not sure if those ones where PG or not.) I would still be wary of her watching some movies but I think an pretty relaxed over all. (That said DH was watching a movie on tv last night and I asked him to pause until DD went to bed as it was all guns and swearing)

If you are not happy then say to the school. They might not even have thought about it and it could happen again if you don't mention it.

JustSpeakSense Tue 10-Jan-17 13:32:11

Just re-read that is was a specific film that you did not want them watching. (So obviously something you had looked into and decided was not appropriate)

In that case you are not BU.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Tue 10-Jan-17 13:32:29

No. Film ratings are pretty random.

Watership Down (despite being my favourite movie) should not have a U rating.

Movies like Adam & Paul (an 18) should be shown in all schools to show the realities of drug addiction.

TheDuchessOfKidderminster Tue 10-Jan-17 13:33:26

Yes but the question is whether it would bother me if the school showed my child a film with a rating above their age. The answer to that is 'no it probably wouldn't'.

TeenAndTween Tue 10-Jan-17 13:35:14

Absolutely it would bother me.
And schools shouldn't be doing it without checking with parents first.

It would also bother me if this happened at another child's house (especially for a party) without some warning if parent was aware.

Keremy Tue 10-Jan-17 13:35:46

It was a 15 yes not an 18.

HecateAntaia Tue 10-Jan-17 13:36:25

"It doesn't depend on the film at all"

Oh, but it does when the question the op asked was "would it bother you "

There are films that according to the certificate it's ok for my kids to have watched but i wont let them and there are some that have been, for example, are cert 15 that i will allow at age 13 or 14.

Because i am the parent. I make the decision based on my assessment of the film.

And answering the question would it bother you with the reply it depends on the film is a perfectly valid response.

JustSpeakSense Tue 10-Jan-17 13:38:03

What film was it?

FreshStartJanuary Tue 10-Jan-17 13:38:39

It might not bother me that they watched the film - that would depend on the child and the film. However it would bother me that they don't follow the age guidelines in a school- standards innit!

TheDuchessOfKidderminster Tue 10-Jan-17 13:38:41

But, without knowing what the film is, it's difficult to judge.

Trifleorbust Tue 10-Jan-17 13:39:01

What was the film and how old is your DC?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now