Talk

Advanced search

MN Jobs should have more flexible roles

(12 Posts)
Stokey Tue 10-Jan-17 10:51:01

There are only 23 jobs with flexible working hours listed on the site. Only 7 in London.

I think a job recruitment site that is targeted at Mums should have more part-time and flexible roles on it.

PatriciaHolm Tue 10-Jan-17 10:56:04

MN can't force people to advertise!

ExplodedCloud Tue 10-Jan-17 10:59:01

Perhaps address your anger at the companies who don't offer flexible working? MN could insist on it but not everyone needs p/t and flexible working and limiting the jobs they advertise will make it non viable.

mouldycheesefan Tue 10-Jan-17 10:59:33

Hilarious how would mn make people do that? 😂
Some of the jobs being advertised are ridiculous though I doubt that the government will recruit a head of strategic defence via any online chat forum but they do it because it ticks their diversity box to say they advertise on mumsnet. I imagine very few roles are actually filled via mn.

Stokey Tue 10-Jan-17 11:28:19

I understand that they can't force people to advertise. But their main headline above the search is "find a family friendly job". To me that means flexible working hours or part-time hours. I thought the MN site had flexible working as its USP to differentiate itself from the hundreds of oher sites out there.

Mouldy the civil service job applications go back to their own website. So you're not applying form MN, but through their own process.

DailyFail1 Tue 10-Jan-17 11:31:35

Flexibility in my experience is often negotiated for the right candidate as required during the interview process . Not all parents/mums require flexibility

mouldycheesefan Tue 10-Jan-17 11:32:48

Obviously 🙄I know you are applying via the civil service however they do ask where you saw the job advertised so when I say "apply through mn" that's what I mean, the source of the advertisement for the role.
Many mums work full time not everybody wants a part time or flexible job why should mn stop full time jobs being advertsided that restricts opportunities which is the opposite of what they want to do. Who is to say that those jobs wouldn't be flexible anyway? Anyone with the right amount of service can submit a flexible working app,ication doesn't mean the job has to be advertised as flexible.
You need to be realistic.

PaulAnkaTheDog Tue 10-Jan-17 11:59:41

Oh ffs...

expatinscotland Tue 10-Jan-17 12:06:35

'But their main headline above the search is "find a family friendly job". To me that means flexible working hours or part-time hours.'

And this is precisely why the Relationships board is full of women who are truly in the shit when their relationship goes tits up. I think more women should stop jacking in full-time work so often to further someone else's career, particularly a man to whom they are not married. 'Family-friendly' doesn't just mean part-time and flexible time hmm.

YABU. This site isn't just for 'Mums'.

mummyof2pr Tue 10-Jan-17 12:06:49

Not meaning to be rude but I think YABU. They are offering a service to try to help, not guaranteeing you a job or a specific number of options.

DailyFail1 Tue 10-Jan-17 12:32:43

Spot on expat. For me flexibility means work from home - if an employer lets me do that per my requirements then they will have a loyal 60 hr plus working employee for life lol.

Hannah4banana Tue 10-Jan-17 13:02:07

I run a Facebook jobs page and family friendly hours are pretty rare although some ads do state working hours negotiable.
Unfortunately it's hard to find work that fits if you only have set days and hours free, dont want to work evenings or weekends then you could be looking forever!
Some of the best ones are actually with the royal mail. They work 915 to 230 over 5 days. Or catering assistants/clerical in schools. Not seen many more Tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now