Talk

Advanced search

To be vaguely encouraged that Theresa May is shing a spotlight on mental health?

(8 Posts)
malificent7 Tue 10-Jan-17 09:56:43

I am very pleased that the PM is taking this seriously.

I hope that she manages to create a stable job climate so that people can have more job security and financial security.

I hope she creates more affordable housing.

I hope that she ends discrimination based on race, gender and sexual orientation.

All of these measures will improve mh care.

malificent7 Tue 10-Jan-17 09:59:19

Plus educating people about what mental illness is and how it affects people.

I have been told on here that i should go back to teaching.. meven though it makes me very ill. People have shown themselves to not have a clue why the pressures of teaching, nhs jobs, law etc may contribute to poor mh.

CaoNiMa Tue 10-Jan-17 10:10:26

Unless she's going to reverse all of the cuts that have been made to mental health care, I'd say this is just lip service, to be honest.

DoctorDonnaNoble Tue 10-Jan-17 10:15:35

Don't be encouraged. She was in the government that over saw the cuts that led to this situation. She doesn't understand the situation (or refuses to).

SilverDragonfly1 Tue 10-Jan-17 10:27:14

'Shared Society'='Big Society'='If you have mental health problems it's your own fault for not having more self control so pull yourself together and stop whining.'

Nothing is going to change even slightly and the comments about more awareness in the workplace are a clear signal that this government will continue to refuse to accept that some people with mental illness cannot work and need to be supported both medically and financially in the long term.

Sorry to say that as I would also be over the moon if positive changes were made- it would be a complete life changer for me and my kids. But no.

SWtoSEGirl Wed 11-Jan-17 08:49:49

Totally agree. Can't help thinking she's trying to deflect from the ongoing crisis in the NHS.

CFSKate Mon 16-Jan-17 17:09:16

I saw this last week

"It was during a roundtable at the DfE. The chief executive officer of one of Britain’s largest mental health charities turned to me and said: “Natasha, if your vision of improvements to mental health necessitates investment into services, I’m afraid that is just a pipe dream. There is no money.”

The group then went on to enthusiastically discuss the launch of an app for young people that would cost millions of pounds. (“And at the end you get a badge,” said its inventor. “Young people love badges.”)

It was at that precise moment the disturbing truth hit me. This had never been about helping vulnerable young people. This was a marketing exercise in which I had been used as a pawn."

harderandharder2breathe Mon 16-Jan-17 17:18:02

When I read about what the focus was, it seemed to be children's and acute services. Which of course need more money and attention, I'm not saying for a second that I'm against it. There seemed to be little mention of services for the millions of depression and anxiety sufferers. Maybe through funding increase for counselling/therapy so people don't have to wait months and months. Or increased support for GPs who are on the frontline dealing with the vast majority of MH patients.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now