Talk

Advanced search

To get angry when vloggers advertise chocolate to parents and pretend it's healthy?!!

(33 Posts)
Rachel1349 Tue 10-Jan-17 08:29:05

I know I'm probably really sad, but since having my baby, I've found myself watching mum vlogs a lot. Mainly out of curiosity, to see what other mums are doing and how they're coping. I've been following a few, in particular someone called Emma Bailey. I loved how real and honest she was, showing the hard times and the good times. But she's just posted an advert for cadbury chocolate, basically saying how great it is for kids to eat because it has milk in it. I mean, seriously?!! Chocolate is still full of sugar right?!
Is there nothing people won't do for a bit of cash these days?!! Jeeze Louise!!!
Ah, feels better to get that rant out.

mereswinesaliva Tue 10-Jan-17 12:06:01

Sadly, human nature being what it is, most (not all) vloggers end up selling-out sooner or later......

DailyFail1 Tue 10-Jan-17 12:29:01

Nothing is truly bad for you if in moderation - I think that's the point she was trying to make.

crazywriter Tue 10-Jan-17 12:29:21

A little bit of dark chocolate isn't bad. Cacao does have its benefits in small amounts. Like a square or two. Cadbury chocolate definitely not and YANBU there. But vloggers make.money through sponsored posts and influential marketing so will do this sort of thing.

specialsubject Tue 10-Jan-17 12:30:13

no rule against making money by advertising.

pouting and spouting on the internet is not a job.

pipsqueak25 Tue 10-Jan-17 12:33:11

make your own choices in life rather than listening to these vloggers who get paid for writing nonsense a lot of the time,

Thefitfatty Tue 10-Jan-17 12:36:14

YABU. They're doing it to make a living, and they do that by advertising.

MrsJayy Tue 10-Jan-17 12:39:05

This week chocolate next week diet shakes or protein bars for busy mummies. Blogging isnt a money maker throw a bit of advertising money at a blog and it is a bussiness <shrug> maybe not pay attention to them. Its like twitter when they love @ <product>

BravoPanda Tue 10-Jan-17 12:39:44

There is no milk left in cadbury chocolate at all apart from the dairy milk bar and even then it's not a glass and a half anymore. It's all palm oil shite that tastes like runny snot.

BarbaraofSeville Tue 10-Jan-17 12:48:27

Well, if it's good enough for Nutella on national TV.

MrsJayy Tue 10-Jan-17 12:52:45

Im old enough to remember the milky way ads telling you it wouldn't ruin your dinner so have a milky way between meals

MrsDustyBusty Tue 10-Jan-17 12:55:05

You may be taking vloggers more seriously than they merit.

ThanksForAllTheFish Tue 10-Jan-17 12:56:27

This thread made me think of this clip:

youtu.be/8lgLYGBbDNs

But yes I agree and it's why I've become very wary of anything recommended on blogs and vlogs now. I still enjoy reading blogs but they can get a bit sponsored product heavy at times.

MrsJayy Tue 10-Jan-17 13:07:58

I was confused how these kids young people made a living from you tube some of them are loaded its all advertising and sponsorship

Rachel1349 Tue 10-Jan-17 13:08:37

I've not watched much youtube to be honest, so didn't realise this was normal. I think I was just surprised to see such a blatant advert, and for chocolate. Also, had no idea they made an actual living off of just talking about their lives. Wow, I have a lot to learn! Might just go back to binge watching box sets while little one naps!! Lol

Floggingmolly Tue 10-Jan-17 13:10:12

Why do you think the parents are taking this halfwit's ramblings as gospel?

MrsJayy Tue 10-Jan-17 13:15:03

Get yourself on the youtube Rachel make a few bob grin

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 10-Jan-17 13:16:09

The chocolate is clearly good for her bank balance given that she has undoubtedly been sponsored by Cadburys.
I wonder if she gets free supplies? She'll be fat as a house soon, sitting around vlogging and eating free chocolate. grin

Does anyone remember the Finger of Fudge advert?
A finger of fudge is just enough to give your kids a treat,
Full of Cadbury goodness, it's very small and neat.

I wonder which bit was the goodness?

Rachel1349 Tue 10-Jan-17 13:26:44

I'm not sure people would really want to watch me sitting on my arse watching Made in Chelsea repeats and scrubbing poo out the carpet. But then... maybe they would... Haha! Anyone wanna pay me to advertise a new car, I could do with one of those...

Trainspotting1984 Tue 10-Jan-17 13:28:14

But without being rude surely people can see she's just....nobody? Why would anyone take nutritional information from some random woman?

littlemissangrypants Tue 10-Jan-17 13:49:35

What I find interesting is that she has 2000 ish subscribers and is already with a network. Most small YouTubers don't tend to go with networks as they take a cut of profits. This particular YouTuber is barely making £100 a year from her vlogs.
As for comments about needing a car and wanting a sponsor for that, well that's what a lot of American youtubers get. One recently get a brand new car which they only had to show in vlog for a short 5 minute ad. Other youtubers have huge followings and make millions. I follow a few of them and it's interesting how the money they make changes them. Normal fairly humble people end up buying million dollar properties and then get their fans to donate money on their behalf to charities. All while having fancy holidays and advertising other brands. YouTube is a big business.
Vloggers are also having their addresses put online and there have been stalking cases. Family vloggers have also filmed their kids half naked to get more views. When they are told not to film their kids naked as it attracts the wrong kind of views they do more of it. Making money comes before a lot for the bigger youtubers. Kind of sad but what would you do for millions of dollars and adoration of fans?

mereswinesaliva Tue 10-Jan-17 14:31:21

Also, had no idea they made an actual living off of just talking about their lives

Oh yes, check out Zoella and Fleur de Force - they've made millions. Plus, they have products of with their names on in the shops.

I'm not sure people would really want to watch me sitting on my arse watching Made in Chelsea repeats and scrubbing poo out the carpet

Believe me, they WOULD. I'm not kidding!

MrsJayy Tue 10-Jan-17 14:35:41

People watch other people open parcels on you tube so poop scraping would so be a thing

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 10-Jan-17 14:43:10

My youngest son has told me he wants to be a YouTuber when he's older. I've told him not to be so silly grin.

MrsJayy Tue 10-Jan-17 17:31:32

He might make a fortune dont rule it out grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now