Talk

Advanced search

To ask for TOIL bank hols??

(15 Posts)
cassadee Mon 09-Jan-17 23:36:45

My work are sponsoring me to study for a relevant qualification (in finance - everyone has to do it in the job and it's very much a conveyor belt sort of system, big 4 accountancy firm). I have just worked out that I'll be in college during all the April and may bank holidays (4 days!) - do you think we might be given this off in lieu? And would it be cheeky to ask?

lottiegarbanzo Mon 09-Jan-17 23:43:27

You're sure the college is open those days? Or you're studying at home?

Yes, if you're having to work those days, ask for TOIL. But, depends how senior you are. If you're management and your terms are 'do what it takes to get the job done' rather than offering TOIL usually, then you might be out of luck and could look uncommitted.

BackforGood Mon 09-Jan-17 23:44:16

Surely the college won't be open on a BH ?

Festivecheer26 Tue 10-Jan-17 00:06:46

I'd expect so. Surely you'll be charging your time for those days to a training code? I had a similar situation a few years back (are you studying for CTA by any chance?) and got the time back.

caroldecker Tue 10-Jan-17 00:28:10

Big 4 firm? You are expected to suck it up. If you ask they will say no (you get 25 days plus bank holidays, so above legal minimum). You will also be noticed as lazy and they will manage you out fairly quickly (and legally).

TopCat2017 Tue 10-Jan-17 00:31:49

Do you work for a big 4 Carol? I don't think that's how we treat our trainees at all.

If she's at college on a BH then it counts as a working day, being a trainee and all. She could ask and get the time back.

anothermalteserplease Tue 10-Jan-17 00:36:48

Why not ask a senior how it has worked in the past? When I worked for similar firm we would never have got TOIL but I don't remember the college being opened on bank holidays either.

Ele13 Tue 10-Jan-17 00:44:52

We get TOIL - I'm at a big 4 firm. We had to ask though. I'd check your contract. If it says 25 + bh then that's what you're entitled to - they don't just get to change their minds later.

I'm currently having problems based round a long term illness + study. Makes me want to leave tbh. Good luck!

caroldecker Tue 10-Jan-17 00:52:35

Topcat Yes

caroldecker Tue 10-Jan-17 00:56:05

Oh, and yes that is exactly how the Big 4 treat the staff - everyone underpaid and over worked until partner, and managed out as necessary.

TopCat2017 Tue 10-Jan-17 00:59:23

Its not how my big 4 firm treats staff.

If a trainee is having to work on a day that would be a holiday it would be TOIL, they are entitled to the Bank Holidays same as everyone else.

TopCat2017 Tue 10-Jan-17 01:06:46

Oh and Carol, if you think we are underpaid I'd advise you to go and look at jobs of similar qualifications and levels of training in other sectors.

I've got A level graduates, not all with stellar grades, on more than an NQT trainee teacher or many other jobs and they get time off for study too (outside of annual leave). I was at the ICAEW prior to Christmas to drive to recruit some more too!

Festivecheer26 Tue 10-Jan-17 08:10:49

I trained at one of the big 4 and moved to another last year - you would definitely get your holiday entitlement back at both firms. I can't see the other two being any different.

Time for a new job Carol if that's how you feel?

GreenGoblin0 Tue 10-Jan-17 08:41:47

Are you sure the college is open on a bank holiday?!

cassadee Wed 11-Jan-17 00:10:57

No I'm doing ACA - have checked and yes college is open but we can claim time bsck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now