Talk

Advanced search

Using flat sheets on the bed, who's right DH or me?

(240 Posts)
gotitwrongagain Mon 09-Jan-17 23:29:40

Please help settle a discussion between DH and me!

There's obviously little more satisfying than getting into a freshly laundered bed, especially if the sheets have been ironed.
To do this regularly I don't want to have to wash and iron the duvet cover every time I wash the rest of the linen ( I've 3dc and plenty other housework to do!) If I use a flat sheet then the duvet cover keeps fresher for longer.

As an aside, I actually prefer to have the flat sheet anyway as I feel it covers me better and no cold air can get down the bed!

So AIBU to use a flat sheet when making the bed?

(Snuggles down into cosy bed!)

RJnomore1 Mon 09-Jan-17 23:30:04

Yabu what a hassle...

TheNaze73 Mon 09-Jan-17 23:31:15

YABVU. Life is too short

trixymalixy Mon 09-Jan-17 23:32:32

I hate flat sheets. Too much hassle.

lottiegarbanzo Mon 09-Jan-17 23:34:07

If you like it and you are doing it, what's the problem?

lazydog Mon 09-Jan-17 23:34:52

I hate having a sheet between myself and the duvet - I always get tangled up in it, without fail.

BackforGood Mon 09-Jan-17 23:36:11

What's a 'flat sheet' ? confused

Hellmouth Mon 09-Jan-17 23:37:32

Is that what flat sheets are for? Lol, I've always wondered what the reason is for their existence

QueenArseClangers Mon 09-Jan-17 23:38:24

I LOVE having a top sheet! It's great for when you're feeling a bit warm cos you can pull the duvet down and still feel covered.

YADNBU.

QueenArseClangers Mon 09-Jan-17 23:40:04

Don't iron the bedding anymore though. DH is normally in charge of laundry/bed changing and he agrees about using a flat sheet.

KnittingPearl Mon 09-Jan-17 23:40:42

In the winter I have a flat sheet and a wool blanket between me and the duvet (no central heating...) Pinched the linen sheet from the spare bed last time - it's lovely all freshly ironed. YADNBU!

gotitwrongagain Mon 09-Jan-17 23:40:55

DH doesn't like it, I do.

Besides I don't get why people think it's more bother. My point is surely it saves time as I don't have to bother removing the duvet, doing an extra wash load ( as I wouldn't be able to fit duvet plus sheets in the washing machine in one load) tumble it and then iron it before putting it back on the duvet. It takes literally 1 minute to put on a flat sheet and fold the corners confused and then put the duvet on top

OneWithTheForce Mon 09-Jan-17 23:41:01

I've just bought myself a flannelette flat sheet (and fitted one) because it reminds me of my childhood and having a properly made bed. I feel like a real adult now (I'm 30) grin

Primaryteach87 Mon 09-Jan-17 23:41:10

Tumble dryer

MitzyLeFrouf Mon 09-Jan-17 23:42:01

Flat sheets go against the ethos of the duvet. Can you imagine sexy French types faffing around with an extra sheet? Give up your English ways and give in to the simplicity of the duvet.

UterusUterusGhali Mon 09-Jan-17 23:42:04

YADNBU.

I've recently started doing this again; flat sheet, light duvet, bedspread. It's all cosy like when I were wee.

Less washing too. (I don't iron.)

I only ever use flat sheets on the bottom too so I can do crisp hospital corners. smile

ZacharyQuack Mon 09-Jan-17 23:42:36

I don't care about the ironedness of sheets. I do hate having a sheet between me and the duvet.

Fitted sheet, duvet cover, no ironing. HTH.

yougetme Mon 09-Jan-17 23:42:46

YANBU . I love the top (flat) sheet between me and the duvet. I only wash the duvet every second time as the sheets take the most bodily contact. Plus the top sheet provides an extra layer for warmth on cool nights and a light layer for coolness when its warm.
it just goes in the wash with the rest of the bedding and gets dried at the same time as the other sheets too. No extra bother for a lot of extra benefit
Whats not to like?

MitzyLeFrouf Mon 09-Jan-17 23:43:41

To be honest I didn't know people did this.

ZacharyQuack Mon 09-Jan-17 23:44:05

Even worse than being tangled up in a loose flat sheet, is having one tucked in limiting foot movement. YABsoU smile

Araminta99 Mon 09-Jan-17 23:44:39

I adore having a flat sheet and I had no idea people didn't use them until I went to stay with my MIL for the first time. All my family use flat sheets, it keeps the duvet really fresh (nothing worse than a duvet that smells of feet), it takes a second to fold on and eliminates drafts! Plus I love having cute bedding. The bed doesn't seem made properly to me without a flat sheet.

Zoflorabore Mon 09-Jan-17 23:46:02

I want a flat sheet grin

Redglitter Mon 09-Jan-17 23:46:39

I love top sheets. A bed isn't properly made without one. I like being all tucked in otherwise my feet end up out the duvet

YANBU you're doing it the only way that makes any sense

TheCraicDealer Mon 09-Jan-17 23:46:44

What? I thought flat sheets were to go over the mattress and that they were only used by people who thought that fitted sheets were the work of the devil.

Mind. Blown.

feeona123 Mon 09-Jan-17 23:47:55

I didn't realise people didn't have flat sheets!!

My duvet cover gets washed very little!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now