Talk

Advanced search

To buy 2 theatre tickets as a gift but expect to be given 1 ticket so I can attend?

(29 Posts)
Cuppaand2biscuits Mon 09-Jan-17 22:27:48

I've just noticed a theatre production of a movie that my sister and I loved is coming to our local theatre. I would love to get her tickets for her birthday, I would also love to see it myself. The tickets are nearly £40, I really can only afford 2 tickets.
Can I tell her that I want to go or let her choose between me and her partner (who may or may not be interested in seeing it )

Phial Mon 09-Jan-17 22:30:52

Could you take her to the theatre for her birthday treat rather than give her two tickets?

StarrySparkles Mon 09-Jan-17 22:30:57

Could you not buy yourself a ticket and give her the other one for her birthday? Ive done this for my dad and sisters birthdays and they were thrilled as its a show we all like

Cuppaand2biscuits Mon 09-Jan-17 22:31:26

Probably should add that my sister and I are good friends who enjoy spending time together but I would be a bit miffed if I spend £80 and don't get to go.

HecateAntaia Mon 09-Jan-17 22:32:00

You cant present her with two and insist she takes you.
You can say your present is taking her
or you can give her two tickets and she chooses.

Well, you can demand she takes you but it isnt the done thing imo

OydNeverDeclinesGin Mon 09-Jan-17 22:32:16

Just ask her. Can I take you to see xxx for your birthday?

Cuppaand2biscuits Mon 09-Jan-17 22:32:35

Her birthday is February and show isn't until August.

Imnotaslimjim Mon 09-Jan-17 22:33:10

I'd just tell her that her birthday present is a visit to the theatre, rather than giving her the tickets and making her take you.

BackforGood Mon 09-Jan-17 22:33:20

Agree with everyone else. For her birthday you give her a ticket, and then you also buy yourself a ticket to go with her. You don't give her the two.

OneWithTheForce Mon 09-Jan-17 22:34:10

You don't buy her two tickets. You buy her one and yourself the other and go together.

HecateAntaia Mon 09-Jan-17 22:34:20

Which is fine.
Wrap up a poster or print out.

Cuppaand2biscuits Mon 09-Jan-17 22:34:22

Ask her, that's a great idea then her partner can pay to come too if he wants to.
Thank you! I don't know why I always think presents should be surprises.

harderandharder2breathe Mon 09-Jan-17 22:34:43

You can still take her "for her birthday", it's just a delayed gift

You can't give her both and insist she takes you.

TeaBelle Mon 09-Jan-17 22:34:46

I would make a voucher - 'this entitles you to a funfulled evening of music and cocktails with your favourite sister' etc, rather than actually handing over the tickets if you want to go

KatherinaMinola Mon 09-Jan-17 22:34:55

Taking her to the theatre for her birthday is lovely. Giving her two tickets and asking for one back is a bit weird! It's all in the presentation.

booellesmum Mon 09-Jan-17 22:35:49

If you give her both tickets as a gift she should be able to choose who to take.
If u want to go give her the one ticket - or don't wrap any tickets just a print out of the advert for the show and tell her you are taking her.
? Say taking her for lunch as well.

MillionToOneChances Mon 09-Jan-17 22:36:26

I'd make a card using pictures from the show's website to illustrate that you're taking her to that show for her birthday gift.

aforestgrewandgrew Mon 09-Jan-17 22:36:48

I agree also.

If you say "My birthday treat is taking you to the theater" then it sounds like a wonderful and thoughtful gift.

If you say "here are two tickets, but you must give one back to me" then it sounds mean.

Effectively the same thing, but different expectations / social conventions, depending on how you present it mean you definitely want to do the first one.

Krap Mon 09-Jan-17 22:37:51

If you won't get the actual physical tickets by her birthday (they often aren't dispatched until close to the performance)
Just print out the confirmation and present it to her saying you're taking her to the theatre for her birthday then out for a meal. Therefore you have bagged yourself the seat and covered the birthday and topped up the value of the present.

MrsJayy Mon 09-Jan-17 22:40:05

Yes its fine to do that ive done it before, say happy birthday sister i am taking you to this show and have a great night

venusinscorpio Mon 09-Jan-17 22:41:33

I agree with krap. Perfect. As pp said it's all in the presentation.

Bluntness100 Mon 09-Jan-17 22:42:06

We do this often, uou just give the person the ticket in thb card and tell them you're taking them for their gift, it's not a biggie.

MrsJayy Mon 09-Jan-17 22:46:15

I do it with my dc often but 1 birthday i gave dd both tickets instead of 1 and got a bit sweaty that she wouldnt take me grin

Only1scoop Mon 09-Jan-17 22:48:16

Easy, present her a lovely card and tickets stating 'I've booked us a girly night at the theatre'.

Helloitsme87 Mon 09-Jan-17 22:48:57

This is so weird. Why wouldn't you just buy her and yourself a ticket. Her present is £40 and get her something else small and then you buy your own for 40.
I literally wouldn't buy her partner a present when is not his birthday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now