Talk

Advanced search

To think I'm not paranoid or insane...?

(31 Posts)
LadyShirazz Mon 09-Jan-17 22:18:13

Admittedly I would not have done this but for Trump-induced fear...

BUT I don't think it's anything but sensible to have stored a few tinned goods, bottles of water and other survival (for maybe 72 hours) bits and bobs (think matches and first aid kit sort of thing) set aside...?

OH is mocking me for being a paranoid redneck hellfire and damnation prepping type - which I am not. Should the end of the world come, I hope it takes me down with it... And really, there's only so much you can prep for in an outer London dinky flat.

But in the (far more likely event) that shit happens, but after a few days things all right themselves again, a few supplies in would surely not go amiss...?

mereswinesaliva Tue 10-Jan-17 12:08:34

If something happens that entails you needing a stockpile of food and water, it probably won't be something that ends after a mere 72 hours. You'll only be prolonging the agony.

On a more serious note, do you suffer from anxiety? If this is really worrying you, it might be a good idea to see about it because it's not good to worry to this extent.

flowers

BeachyKeen Tue 10-Jan-17 13:01:00

Well, here in canada that's just normal. We have power outages that can last for days, meaning all shops are closed.
Sometimes we get hit with massive storms that close down all roads for days.
We keep on hand a 72 hour kit, as advised by our federal government, our hydro companies, and all others that send paper bills.
We make sure there is fresh bottled water (2 gallons per person per day)
Meals that don't require cooking, flashlights, extra batteries, and such.
I don't know how long disruption last in the UK, but short term things can happen at any time.
And of course you want to make it through, when things get back to normal, you will be glad you had a few bits put by. It's also nice to be able to help others who might not be set up so well.
Just don't go overboard, and rotate your stuff, so if you buy bottle water, use it regularly and replace it so it's always fresh.
Same with any tinned food. On buy what you'd actually use, and keep it fresh.
There is nothing wrong with being prepared, just don't go overboard

Bluntness100 Tue 10-Jan-17 13:04:00

I'm confused, what do you think is going to happen?

whattheactualflump Tue 10-Jan-17 13:09:50

What kind of scenario are you imagining in which these supplies would be useful? If this is something you've worried about in enough depth to actually buy and store these items then I think perhaps you might as pp suggested want to speak to someone about possible anxiety issues?

Hard to tell as you haven't said why you are doing it but it does sound a bit U (totally different to situation described in Canada - totally standard, but London, just no)

HecateAntaia Tue 10-Jan-17 13:18:55

72 hours will do bugger all.
There's no situation serious enough to require stockpiling that will be business as usual after 72 hours.

We maintain a stockpile in winter that will last a couple of weeks but that's because several winters have seen us snowed in.

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Tue 10-Jan-17 13:23:53

There's a preppers forum on here somewhere probably in a concrete bunker under MNHQ That's where you need to be smile

justilou Tue 10-Jan-17 13:32:54

Germans were told to stockpile ten days worth of non-perishable food and water for each citizen after the Berlin attack. It was because they were expecting mass terrorist attacks over the holiday period and didn't want emergency services to have to worry about these things.

Soubriquet Tue 10-Jan-17 13:35:37

You know the old saying

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you

Whatever helps you cope

Ginkypig Tue 10-Jan-17 13:35:49

I don't think you should waste your time worrying about major world changing events as the reality is if it happens it will and unless your friends with James Bond or in a secret agency etc you won't have any control over it!

Saying that though. Somthing as simple as a big storm or a flood or a water pipe being broken in your area could easily mean that you could be stuck for a few days without power to cook, light your home or not have drinking water so having a few essentials and a way to light the house (so you can get to the toilet) is a good idea.

HardofCleaning Tue 10-Jan-17 13:40:57

I don't think it's that insane, any number of situations could make it difficult to get supplies for a few days. A major weather event a terrorist threat might see shops shut for a day or two or people advised not to leave their homes (happened in Brussels). If there was a huge incident supplies would be limited for some time so having as much as possible on hand would be useful.

The huge incident is fairly unlikely but equally unless you're short of space a few tins in the cupboard isn't that big a deal is it? If you're doing other things which is making your life more difficult (buying camo, or converting your basement into a nuclear bunker) I would be concerned but a box of tins doesn't sound overly crazy.

PebbleInTheMoonlight Tue 10-Jan-17 13:42:55

72 hours of supplies is a great idea as a back up. There are all sorts of domestic and localised emergencies that could affect water/power supply and knowing you don't have to join the queues at the water wagon or community centre to get food and water is worthwhile.

72 hour stockpile because of Trump/Putin/any other elected lunatic is naive. If it all descended to the point of war that small stockpile really wouldn't do much to help you.

That's serious end of world prep territory and those folk stockpile in measurements of months and years and often are capable of or already are living entirely off grid (no power, no tapped water, animal trapping, butchery, woodworking skills, farming skills etc).

BarbarianMum Tue 10-Jan-17 13:44:50

I think having supplies to last a few days without needing to get to a shop, and an alternative source of heat, water and light (than the mains) is just common sense really.

M0stlyHet Tue 10-Jan-17 13:57:33

I think there's a serious risk of a cyber attack that could take out utilities for several days - so I don't think "prepping for 72 hours is pointless because if it got to that stage we're all doomed." I can actually think of a few situations which would require 24 to 72 hours of food which fall way short of "impending apocalypse, go for barbiturates and the expensive tipple of your choice" scenario.

BBC article on tech trends in 2017 with some fairly glum predictions.

ThanksForAllTheFish Tue 10-Jan-17 13:59:00

I always make sure I have enough tinned food in to last at least 2 weeks - although that is more from the standpoint that should we ever be totally skint with an unexected bill etc we wouldn't starve.

After 5 seperate no water / burst mains type of incidents in the last 2 years I now make sure we have bottled water in the cupboard. The last time it happened I had no bottled water in and the local (very large) supermarket was sold out within an hour.

We also had a few power cuts in the past and all I had to hand was scented candles (gave me a migraine) so now I make sure we have some plain candles in should we ever need them.

Fully stocked first aid kit is just a normal and reasonable thing to keep at home (and a seperate one in the car).

I think you sound sensible to be honest. If anything I would say a weeks worth of supplies would be better than 72 hours worth.

The ones that do the whole underground bunker / 4 years supply of food etc are the OTT paranoid ones.

DJBaggySmalls Tue 10-Jan-17 14:01:22

We had a power cut last night and we are investing in some more wind up torches and other stuff.

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Tue 10-Jan-17 14:07:17

I keep several 2L bottles of water in the house. It's a habit I can't shake from when I lived abroad and the water would regularly be turned off for a few hours in the middle of the day when it was particular dry/hot. I'm pretty sure there is enough food round here to last us a couple of days too, or to be able to rustle up a meal if the electricity went off. I'm definitely not prepping for an apocalyptic disaster, it just seems sensible.

LoupGarou Tue 10-Jan-17 14:08:50

I thinks its sensible, having a kit to last 72 hours will give you the breathing space to find other help in an emergency. We have friends who lived in Fort McMurray (Canada) who had to leave their home abruptly due to the fires, their 72 hour kits made a shit situation slightly more comfortable. I appreciate the UK is a bit different but power cuts/water issues can happen in any country, why not be prepared and be a bit more comfortable if something does happen?
We have them, a backpack for each member of the household and one for the pets.

LoupGarou Tue 10-Jan-17 14:10:55

I should add, we also have all our important documents in a small fire safe in a backpack with the 72 hour kits, the idea being thatthat if we had to we could evacuate the house in under five minutes, again after what happened to our friends I think its just common sense.

BeachyKeen Tue 10-Jan-17 14:17:48

Posted to soon
I hope nothing ever happens , but if it did, I'd want to be ready to help others, nit needing the help for myself

mereswinesaliva Tue 10-Jan-17 14:35:07

Of course, if there's an massive war/devastation type of scenario, those who have supplies will just attract more danger to themselves from people who will attack/kill for those supplies. That would necessitate a gun or something to defend you and yours, etc. I don't know what the answer is!

Gottagetmoving Tue 10-Jan-17 14:54:15

I think we normally have enough stuff to last more than 72 hours. We also have matches and candles and stuff for when there is an electricity power cut.
None of it is there because we expect a terrorist attack or war though.

FrutiFlutey Tue 10-Jan-17 14:55:30

I have done the same, though it's a lot more than you have. I actually think it's foolish to not have a stock of supplies

CreamCrackerundertheSettee Tue 10-Jan-17 14:59:08

After storm Desmond we had no power for 2 days and then were on generators for two more days. The worst thing was lack of information as wifi/mobiles go down.

Batteries for a radio and a good torch are things I'll never be without now.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Tue 10-Jan-17 15:00:37

You know when you say make sure to rotate bottled water to keep it fresh, is this really necessary?

I want to do this, but I just cannot see the logic in replacing bottled water confused I guess it might taste a bit stale but I think we could cope with that for a few days?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now