Talk

Advanced search

Letting Agents. Repeated checks

(11 Posts)
fuzzyfuzzyduck Mon 09-Jan-17 22:00:48

IABU for the letting agent do a 3month check. I've rented for 5+ yrs. "between 12-3 on X date" "if you are not available we will let ourselves in" is this legal?

Crispbutty Mon 09-Jan-17 22:03:31

We get a 3 monthly check too. They always send a letter a couple of weeks in advance though and do say on it they don't need us to be in but prefer it if we are. It seems excessive but they are in and out on five minutes and they are always happy with us.

lastqueenofscotland Mon 09-Jan-17 22:14:49

It's fairly normal, however they can't just let themselves in if you say no,

fuzzyfuzzyduck Mon 09-Jan-17 22:18:04

Thanks, similar to mine but is the "let ourselves in" legal? Throughly fed up with the lack of choice/ownership.

Oakmaiden Mon 09-Jan-17 22:19:29

If you say "No", then they can't. But to be honest, it just makes life easier for everyone involved if they do, surely?

Cherrysoup Mon 09-Jan-17 22:56:10

No, it is not legal. 3 month checks seem OTT, I would request 6 months max.i would not pester my tenant in this way. You are entitled to 'quiet enjoyment' of the property and someone letting themselves in is outrageous if you do not agree to it.

Ohdearducks Mon 09-Jan-17 23:01:04

No that's intrusive and harrassing imo, I'd tell them they're welcome yearly.
My current letting agent has never done a check here and we've been here 6 years they are very lax.

dingdongdigeridoo Mon 09-Jan-17 23:04:16

When we rented through an agent we always had three month checks. It was in our contract that we'd allow them access. They usually just glance around and moan about something vague so it looks like they're earning their cash.

Doughnutsmademefat Mon 09-Jan-17 23:05:25

No, it's not. Write to them and state that they are not to enter your home without express permission.

Whosthemummynow Mon 09-Jan-17 23:06:19

We get 3 month Inspections, I've recently taken to telling them to fuck off. As it seems pointless!! Anything I asked to be done, isn't. So I don't see the point in them keep coming back to look at the same broken shit.

scaryteacher Mon 09-Jan-17 23:21:25

I expect my agent to do quarterly checks, so that any issues can be flagged early and det with. Far easier than something not being fixed and more inconvenience/damage caused imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now