Talk

Advanced search

Snuzpod/Little Green Sheep Mattress - MOULD!!

(19 Posts)
scoobyloobyloo Mon 09-Jan-17 21:59:34

So, I bought the Snuzpod 7 months ago, baby has slept on it every night since, always with a mattress protector, never got wet and in a well ventilated and heated bedroom. Beautiful cot which came with a natural mattress from Little Green Sheep.

I sold the cot on to a friend and on taking it apart saw that the mattress, fabric underneath the mattress and wooden frame were all covered in black mould spores. My baby had been sleeping on it all this time!

A quick google shows I'm not the only one this has happened to. I contacted LGS who quickly arranged a new mattress and all new fabric for the cot which I passed onto my friend who decided against using it and bought another elsewhere.

I just wanted to make sure that other mums were aware of this - if you have one, please check it and if you're thinking of buying a Snuzpod, I'd recommend a different mattress.

SleepFreeZone Mon 09-Jan-17 22:00:22

God that's horrendous!!

scoobyloobyloo Mon 09-Jan-17 22:04:08

Yep, was pretty horrified - particularly when I saw that the Lullaby Trust support them...

glueandstick Mon 09-Jan-17 22:08:53

That's a shame. Ours was fine but I did turn it each day and air it frequently.

welshweasel Mon 09-Jan-17 22:10:18

That's terrible. Ours was fine and I don't think I ever turned it over.

Camomila Mon 09-Jan-17 22:12:11

Thanks for letting us know. Ours is just sitting in the spare room at the moment so I'll go check it's still ok.

calilark Mon 09-Jan-17 22:15:18

Yes. We threw away our LGS mattress when we moved DD from cot to bed. I was going to keep it as a floor cushion but I spotted a greyish colour through the sheet and realised there was mould. We turned and aired regularly, but I just didn't spot it because had those Gro Blinds up permanently so the room was always dark

scoobyloobyloo Mon 09-Jan-17 22:24:44

Wow, I wonder how many other people this has happened to. There are several other people on other forums who have had the same happen to them too.

BunloafAndCrumpets Mon 09-Jan-17 22:26:49

We had the exact same thing! Their customer service was fab but I was so upset that my baby had been sleeping on mould when I'd spent a lot to create a safe sleep space. I now turn the big cot mattress regularly and ventilate the room.

I was using an angelcare movement pad and sometimes a sleepyhead in the snuzpod which I think exacerbated the lack of ventilation.

I noticed when they sent replacement parts that they'd changed the fabric at the bottom of the crib from cotton to mesh, which I assumed was to try to prevent this problem. Sorry it happened to you too!

JangleBalls Mon 09-Jan-17 22:27:47

Isn't mould one of the theories about why cot deaths are higher for babies sleeping on 2nd hand mattresses?

Catsize Mon 09-Jan-17 22:29:42

Their mattress protectors are great and so is the customer service.

scoobyloobyloo Mon 09-Jan-17 22:30:41

Mine was a mesh one Bunloaf so it obviously hasn't made a difference!

I wonder if it's the cot itself or the mattress. Either way, I won't be using one again.

It's pretty bad that they are obviously aware that this can happen and haven't changed anything. I guess those things you were using could affect the ventilation but then there needs to be a warning on the mattress stating not to use them if that's the case.

scoobyloobyloo Mon 09-Jan-17 22:31:51

I agree Catsize - the protector was great, the mattress was awful!

Customer Service was also amazing but I'm guessing they didn't want to piss me off too much!

drinkyourmilk Mon 09-Jan-17 22:34:38

Bloody hell. I'm 28 weeks and was going to order one at the end of the month. Next2me it is then.
Thanks for the heads up OP.

scoobyloobyloo Mon 09-Jan-17 22:42:34

Glad it's helped drink

SleepFreeZone Mon 09-Jan-17 22:46:41

I'm going to have a good look at my sons mattress tomorrow and just make sure it's ok.

BunloafAndCrumpets Mon 09-Jan-17 23:59:58

For what it's worth I'd still use it for my next baby - their customer service has been great and mouldy bits all replaced. I'd just air the bed well - as I will any baby bed from now on! It's a good option for a small space.

nutbrownhare15 Tue 10-Jan-17 00:28:49

Mine was fine and I've just passed it on to my sister

scoobyloobyloo Tue 10-Jan-17 14:17:57

Just had an email from the Lullaby Trust (SIDS charity) who Little Green Sheep told me in their customer service email they 'work closely with' to say that they no longer work in partnership with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now