Talk

Advanced search

To think it shouldn't be this difficult to have my iud removed!

(25 Posts)
justalittlelemondrizzle Mon 09-Jan-17 18:48:01

So today I had an appointment with the nurse for a smear. Oh the joys! While I was talking to her beforehand I asked if 'while she was down there' she could whip my coil out as it's been in there about 7 years and is only a 5 year one. I'm also pretty sure it is causing me repeated thrush.
She said that they don't do that there and I'd have to go to a family planning clinic. I thought this was a bit of a pain but whatever. I googled local family planning clinics when I got home to find all the ones that were open when I had it put in have now been closed. The only one is a sexuel health walk in centre a couple of miles away. I phoned to see if I could make an appointment to be told that it only does walk in appointments and I would have to get there for 8.30am so that I'd have a chance to be seen before they closed for the day at 12.
So there is a possibility I could be sat there for 3 hours waiting for this to be removed but what am I supposed to do the the dc's before school starts?
Aibu to think it shouldn't be this hard to have this removed? Where have all the clinics gone (silly question).
There must be another way...

justalittlelemondrizzle Mon 09-Jan-17 18:49:35

Sexual* what the hell is sexuel - a sequel to the sex! 😂😉

Allthewaves Mon 09-Jan-17 18:51:21

Could you try gp. Had to have mine fitted in special family planning clinic but gp was happy to whip it out

Ab1000 Mon 09-Jan-17 18:51:47

My gp removed mine and replaced it. Just made a normal appointment

justalittlelemondrizzle Mon 09-Jan-17 18:53:42

The nurse said "we don't do that here". I took that to mean the practice. Was she just referring to the nurses? I would like it replaced ideally.

chocoshopoholic Mon 09-Jan-17 18:53:56

I've been trying to get an appointment for my implant out, but the clinic that put it in only sees under 25s, and so do others locally. I was over 25 when they put it in.

justalittlelemondrizzle Mon 09-Jan-17 18:58:09

The annoying thing is she was down there. All she had to do was pull a bloody string surely? Or is there more to it than that. After this I'm contemplating not getting another. I'm really considering asking dh to deal with things himself.

Ab1000 Mon 09-Jan-17 20:18:49

I think there's a bit more to it than just pulling a string. I had an examination after mine to make sure everything was ok. I have to say it was horrendously painful having it removed. I did have smith put in though

Oldraver Mon 09-Jan-17 20:21:20

To be fair you've left it two years overdue, you can't be in that much of a hurry to have it out I've heard of people DIY-ing

ChicRock Mon 09-Jan-17 20:23:38

I removed mine myself. Got hold of the strings, pulled very gently, job done.

RacoonBandit Mon 09-Jan-17 20:27:22

There really is more to it than pulling the string!

My GP is specially trained to fit and remove IUD and when I went for mine replacing she tried for 15 minutes but could not do it.
I then had to have a vaginal ultrasound a day later to make sure it was not damaging me then a referral to the gyne at the local hospital.
They haven't made it difficult to just piss you off OP.

justalittlelemondrizzle Mon 09-Jan-17 20:30:51

I never been able to find the strings the whole time I've had it so I doubt I'd be able to do it myself. It's only been bothering me the last couple of months due me realising that it was probably the cause of the repeated thrush. I may try to locate the strings later but I'm such a wimp 🙈

Alorsmum Mon 09-Jan-17 20:32:31

Who put it in OP? I'd just ring reception and ask it's probably the Gp and only certain ones

GottaCatchEmAll137 Mon 09-Jan-17 20:34:07

Erm, I removed mine accidentally by pulling on the string a bit. It slid straight out wasn't a bit painful or uncomfortable. I can't believe how easy it came out unlike going in which was horrible. Just could just give it a very gentle tug and if you feel any resistance or pain then stop straight away and see your GP.

Reality16 Mon 09-Jan-17 20:37:23

YABVVU
It's 2 years over but you are complaining because a nurse wouldn't remove it during a smear test confused

To think it shouldn't be this difficult to have my iud removed!. It isn't. You just need to make an appointment

SerenadeOfTheSchoolRun Mon 09-Jan-17 20:44:35

But she can't make an appointment- the op says she would have to wait for 3 hours. Madness. (DH took one of mine out but I think there is a risk of something or other as it comes through the cervix so I wouldn't recommend it - another one of mine came out with a moon cup)

Hope you find someone who can give you a time to do this, Drizzle.

Reality16 Mon 09-Jan-17 20:46:00

Of course she could make an appointment. In any case she has waited two years I'm not sure why three hours is a problem. Some people are so bloody awkward about things, nthere are plenty ways to sort this non problem.

CPtart Mon 09-Jan-17 20:49:41

I'm a practice nurse who also would have refused to take it out. It is completely out my scope of practice. I've had absolutely zero training in it, wouldn't know the best way to go about it, what instruments are needed, possible complications, aftercare advice etc, in other words my registration would have been up shit creek if there'd have been any problems. And you know just how quick patients are to complain wink.
See the person who put it in, or a competent GP?

justalittlelemondrizzle Mon 09-Jan-17 21:02:46

The place I had it put in has been closed. As have the ither dozen clinics I could have chosen at the time. I never expected the nurse to remove it there and then. I thought I'd ask so I didn't have to get my kit off again. I would have been happy to make an additional appointment with the nurses but they don't do it and she made it seem like the practice don't do it at all. My problem is the fact that the only place I can have it done is a walk in and having to get there at 8.30 just so "i'm in with a chance of being seen" and this appears to be the only option.

SerenadeOfTheSchoolRun Mon 09-Jan-17 21:08:41

Three hours in a walk in clinic with no guarantee of being seen when you have children to get to school doesn't sound like any problem at all, Reality - you are quite right. Just arrange some childcare and take a good book - sorted. Good luck OP.

CPtart Mon 09-Jan-17 21:39:31

But you said 'while you're down there, whip my coil out?' confused it sounds like you did expect her to do it there and then.
Anyway, the next half term is only next month, take the DC with you to the walk - in if you can't get childcare. The staff won't mind. Don't be tempted to DIY. A&E units are clogged up enough as it is.

Groovester Mon 09-Jan-17 21:51:52

I removed mine myself too. Quite easy. Just be slow and gentle. No pain whatsoever.

RacoonBandit Mon 09-Jan-17 22:03:21

Please please do not encourage somebody to remove their IUD!!!

Do you realise the damage that could cause. Ffs they are out in and removed by trained people for a reason.

Pineapplemilkshake Mon 09-Jan-17 22:04:54

"Just while I'm here" requests are the bugbear of HCP's. everybody seems to think their request will only take a few extra minutes, but added up over the course of the day will equate to a lot of extra work and the clinic running late. Most nurses are not trained to remove coils.

Pineapplemilkshake Mon 09-Jan-17 22:06:29

You could ask the receptionists/practice manager if any of the GP's do coil removals, and I'd not then request a referral to a coil clinic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now