Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to expect my cleaner to do the following...

(18 Posts)
LittleMissCantbebothered Mon 09-Jan-17 18:21:20

First time she has cleaned my house so was expecting a thorough clean. However lots were missed. Should I be expecting her to

Clean skirting boards
Dado rails
Two rooms were not touched at all
No furniture was moved so crumbs and the odd crayon still under sofas etc

I was expecting all of the above to be done without making a special request. AIBU?

RougeSeas Mon 09-Jan-17 18:22:48

How long is she there for?

JohnLapsleyParlabane Mon 09-Jan-17 18:23:03

Depends on the size of the house and length of the booking. Why didn't you go through your expectations with her first?

DrinkFeckArseGirls Mon 09-Jan-17 18:23:18

I think skirting boards and moving furniture wiuld be a deep clean, which costs more. For usual clean you can't expect a cleaner moving the furniture. Imagine if she had to do it every day for each client.

DeathStare Mon 09-Jan-17 18:24:00

It sounds like the cleaner didn't have time to do everything so did what she thought was best. If you have specific priorities I think you need to tell her this.

SnatchedPencil Mon 09-Jan-17 18:24:06

If you can't be bothered to tell her what you expect, how is she to know? Maybe she spent so much time doing whatever parts of your home she did clean, that there wasn't time for her to do the rest?

How much are you paying her, for how many hours, and how many rooms has your house got? Without that, it's impossible to tell if she is not doing a good job. (An hour at minimum wage, in a twenty room house, you can't really complain. Four hours at the going rate in a one-bedroom flat, she's taking the piss.)

LastLeaf Mon 09-Jan-17 18:24:27

Yanbu if you have given her a list and/or gone through your precise expectations.

GrumpyOldBag Mon 09-Jan-17 18:25:20

YABU. You need to communicate properly with her.

OneWithTheForce Mon 09-Jan-17 18:25:41

Only if she is telepathic. Otherwise, use your words.

Allthewaves Mon 09-Jan-17 18:25:54

Depends on

Time u paid her
size of house
did she have to tidy before she could clean

BasinHaircut Mon 09-Jan-17 18:26:05

I think that expectations should have been discussed before she started. She didn't do anything in 2 entire rooms? Are these spare bedrooms? I would imagine that if it's a 2 hour clean and you have a big house she has had to concentrate on the main areas.

Allthewaves Mon 09-Jan-17 18:26:39

And no I wouldn't expect skirting boards to be cleaned

Bobochic Mon 09-Jan-17 18:28:53

Skirting boards and dado rails I would expect as regular - I have a lot of cornices and mouldings and they clearly require regular vacuuming.

LastLeaf Mon 09-Jan-17 18:45:25

When I used to clean I had one customer who didn't want things like her coffee table being polished or her kitchen surfaces wiped. All she wanted was her doors wiped down (finger marks) skirting boards, kitchen cupboard doors and her windows. I knew this because she was very explicit in what she wanted.
Likewise another client wanted more tidying and surface cleaning and less deep cleaning. Fine, no problem. Because we both knew what was expected.
Always best to be open and upfront with what you require.

unlucky83 Mon 09-Jan-17 18:50:32

You need to speak to her - tell what you want. But also a first clean will take longer...she needed to work out where everything was - things like sockets for you hoover, length of flex, even how it worked ...
Also if it wasn't very clean to start that will take longer but if it is done weekly it should be cleaner and quicker and easier to clean.

blueskyinmarch Mon 09-Jan-17 18:56:00

Do people clean skirting boards. I have never cleaned mine. I must be a slattern of the highest order. grin

In a serious note I would guess as people have already said, it depends on the size of your house, how much time you hired her for and what you had told her to do.

I would expect a cleaner to prioritise dusting, vacuuming, floor mopping, bathroom cleaning and kitchen cleaning. That lot takes me all day to do if I do every room and every bathroom.

Crumbs1 Mon 09-Jan-17 19:45:31

Have you ever asked the cleaner to carry out those tasks? Is there an agreed cleaning schedule? Have you tried to do what you expect of your cleaner within time paid for? Have you set frequency of tasks?

It is not unreasonable to expect them to clean skirting boards if that has been part of the agreement but is unreasonable if you have a four bedroom, two bathroom house and only pay two hours.

Our cleaners do the basics every visit and the deeper cleaning tasks over time or on particular requests.

LotsOfShoes Mon 09-Jan-17 19:49:01

No, I wouldn't expect the cleaner to wipe skirting boards and move furniture for a standard clean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now