Talk

Advanced search

neighbour using my drive when I'm out.

(1000 Posts)
birdladyfromhomealone Mon 09-Jan-17 16:25:29

I came home early this morning just after 11am as i have had a chest infection since before Xmas and was struggling at work.
When I got home there were two cars on my drive, one park almost touching my front window and the other one at an angle beside it.
This is the only way to get two cars on the driveway so whoever it was parking there must know the driveway well and how to get two cars on it.
Outside on the road is permit parking and no parking between 10 and 12am.
This is to stop commuters and shoppers parking as we are five minutes from a huge indoor shopping centre.
I had to park behind them blocking them in and blocking the pavement also.
I left a note on my car for the traffic warden
Please knock on door as I have to obstruct the pavement due to two illegally parked cars on my drive.
half an hour later my next door neighbour in his 70's who we NEVER see knocks on my door.
Totally unapologetic and says one car belongs to his wife's carer as she cant park on the road due to restrictions and the other is a neighbour from up the road who uses our driveway when we are at work as her driveway is not big enough.
Even though I was fuming he still just didnt seen to think it was a problem even saying.
Well when your at work your not using it and at least it makes it look like some one is home.
I told him to get them moved straight away.
The carer came round looking really sheepish and asked would I mind if she parked during the restrictions between 10 and 12 as she has been given a ticket in the past. I said fine if no one is in but why cant my neighbour move his car off his drive to enable his wife's carers to park. He cant afford £40 a year to pay for a permit for his carers?
The other car nearly touching my front window is still there so I have put a not on it.
Caroline, I have reported your car to the police as an abandoned vehicle. Since then Nicholas has told me he gave you permission to park here. Nicholas has no business or authority to use our driveway. It would have been polite and neighbourly to at least have asked permission. If your car is parked on my driveway again I will be reporting you to the police.
Tomorrow if I am feeling better I am off the B&Q to buy a chain and paddlock so they cant use my drive!

GreatBritishBakeOff Mon 09-Jan-17 16:29:38

I don't think you are BU. I can understand it's difficult for people when there are parking restrictions, but it wouldn't hurt them to ask! How bloody rude. Would they use your house while you're out too?

Gazelda Mon 09-Jan-17 16:30:45

Bloody cheek! I think you are kind to allow the career to use the drive if you are not in. But I'd be clear to 'Nicholas' that this is an exception, and your generosity will be taken back if he abuses your goodwill again.
As to 'Caroline', I don't understand if she's a neighbour why she doesn't have her own permit. I think your note comes across quite stroppy (understandable) and in your shoes I would have been a bit more formal while trying to avoid a neighbourly row.
Definitely get a chain/gate/whatever installed.

iknowimcoming Mon 09-Jan-17 16:32:09

YADNBU - bloody cheek!

gleam Mon 09-Jan-17 16:32:47

Time for penguin bollards, perhaps? wink

thebakerwithboobs Mon 09-Jan-17 16:33:59

I'd be dropping a stinger over the driveway entrance....

birdladyfromhomealone Mon 09-Jan-17 16:35:09

I hope Caroline- the neighbour who I have never met nor which house she lives in is a MNetter!

SissySpacekAteMyHamster Mon 09-Jan-17 16:35:14

Wow amazing cheek! I'd happily let neigh ours park at ours but only if they asked. I'd be bloody fuming if I came home to strange cars on my drive.

Triplesalco Mon 09-Jan-17 16:35:27

Put a sign in your window saying "All vehicles parked here will be charged £10 per hour or part thereof. You are on CCTV"

MollyHuaCha Mon 09-Jan-17 16:35:55

That's awful.
I willingly allow my neighbours to park on my drive if I am away as they have 4 cars (2 adult children living at home) and cannot park 4 cars in their own drive without blocking one in. However, it was my suggestion that they do this.
YANBU. They are being presumptuous and inconsiderate.

IfartInYourGeneralDirection Mon 09-Jan-17 16:36:56

Cheeky bastards!

Ilovecaindingle Mon 09-Jan-17 16:38:02

Makes you wonder just how long this has been going on?!

Burntbum Mon 09-Jan-17 16:38:37

Catherine Tate would say it better than me but what a fucking liberty!

mistermagpie Mon 09-Jan-17 16:40:25

This would drive me mad. Its so rude! We get a lot of it as the set up of our house isn't a 'drive' as such, but sort of parking bays at the front. We own our two though (as does everybody else) and they are on our title deeds etc, but still when the neighbours have visitors they all park in ours. Its annoying but I can see that they might think nobody ownes the spaces I suppose. In your case it's just a total cheek!

dibbley Mon 09-Jan-17 16:40:37

So one neighbour has given another neighbour permission to park on your drive? Is that right?

OhSuckItUpDucky Mon 09-Jan-17 16:41:42

Blimey , I must be a right cow because I wouldn't let the carer park on my drive
I think you are being very restrained in the circumstances

pinkblink Mon 09-Jan-17 16:41:54

Block the other car in, make them have to knock and ask you to move! Them be really awkward about it

Timeforteaplease Mon 09-Jan-17 16:41:56

Good for you!

BorpBorpBorp Mon 09-Jan-17 16:47:10

I'm surprised the carer has been ticketed - it's restricted parking on our street and the carers who call at neighbouring houses all have city-wide parking permits.

dowhatnow Mon 09-Jan-17 16:47:26

You would probably have said no problem, if they'd have bothered to ask you if it was ok. I can understand your annoyance now.

Cheeky feckers! A chain and padlock sounds like a good idea.

Perhaps you should,wander into Nicholas's house when he is not in his lounge, plonk yourself on his couch and turn on the TV - after all, he's not using it, is he?!

dowhatnow Mon 09-Jan-17 16:48:05

Yes block the other car in now and make them knock to get it back. How long are you going to be off sick for?

Pythonesque Mon 09-Jan-17 16:48:55

You could consider putting your driveway up on just-park or one of the other parking sites - then if the neighbour from up the road wants to use it they can pay you for it!

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Mon 09-Jan-17 16:49:17

I'm curious, where does Caroline park when you're at home? (as her drive isn't big enough)

Cheeky sods (although I too would be forgiving about the carer).

Chippednailvarnishing Mon 09-Jan-17 16:49:58

You need penguin bollards!

Please.

This thread is not accepting new messages.