Talk

Advanced search

Expecting Trip Advisor reviewers to be fair

(84 Posts)
alsmutko Mon 09-Jan-17 12:38:07

I know. I'm BU. But I fancy a rant.
Is it fair to blame the hotel, rating it TERRIBLE because it's not in the location you wanted it to be (in one case, near the Eiffel Tower)? Why not look up the hotels location before booking and if your travel company misinformed you, complain to them. Is it fair to complain the reception didn't point out how to get to the beach when the hotel is ON THE FUCKING BEACH? Is it fair to blame the hotel for the resort's restaurant touts? Is it fair to compain about continental breakfasts being served in a Paris hotel? If it's stale bread, tell them THERE AND THEN and ask for something fresher. If you're lacking a pillow TELL THEM, don't get home and moan onTA, and thus spoil your holiday.
Rant over.

dustarr73 Mon 09-Jan-17 12:39:37

To be fair some of them do be so funny.I agree though complain then and there.But most people are gutless and just want to moan when they get home.

Groovee Mon 09-Jan-17 12:41:50

I don't think some people realise they should do their own research and expect it to be done for them.

Wolfiefan Mon 09-Jan-17 12:42:47

I've seen bad reviews because of the weather!!!! shock

KungFuPandaWorksOut16 Mon 09-Jan-17 12:44:51

What reviews like this?

www.wanderlust.co.uk/magazine/news/20-astonishing-holiday-complaints-thomas-cook-abta

These are actual complaints and feedback given too Thomas Cook!

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Mon 09-Jan-17 12:45:59

I always pay very close attention to the bad reviews, because more often than not it's actually got very little to do with the place!

MackerelOfFact Mon 09-Jan-17 12:47:33

YANBU. It must be an utter ball-ache if you're a proprietor of holiday accomondation.

Some of them are amusing (the classic 'they only served foreign food and nobody spoke English' etc in Spain) but I think some of them reveal that people just don't really get what TripAdvisor is for, and think they're reviewing the tour operator rather than simply the accomodation - I've seen people leave 1 or 2 stars due to flight delays or lost luggage.

Groovee Mon 09-Jan-17 12:47:58

Kung that is so funny

Mynestisfullofempty Mon 09-Jan-17 12:48:02

But these kind of bad reviews don't do the business any harm, because anyone reading them can see that the business wasn't at fault.

alsmutko Mon 09-Jan-17 12:48:27

Oh yes, Panda, complaints like those. Curry in India? Who knew?

Like continental breakfast in Paris ('bread, baguettes, croissants, pasties, butter, jam, honey, yoghurt, fruit, they didn't even offer us cereal')!

Rachel0Greep Mon 09-Jan-17 12:49:08

I skip over silly ones tbh. But, yes, reviews should be fair. If there are genuine issues, I have far more respect for those who point them out politely to the establishment, and give them a chance to resolve them, than someone who posts a load of nonsense, having made no effort to get the issue sorted.

I saw a brilliant response from an owner where he pointed out very politely to the reviewer that nothing pleased him, based on a look at all of his reviews. It was extremely well done, completely non defensive. I think the review was taken down later.

TheCatsMother99 Mon 09-Jan-17 12:50:48

I always take note of what's being said in the reviews as some are just bonkers.

YANBU but unfortunately there are people out there who would rather tarnish a hotel's reputation than get off their ass and speak to reception to easily resolve issues, or who would complain about things that aren't anything to do with the hotel itself, such as weather, location, etc

Zarachristmas Mon 09-Jan-17 12:51:31

Oh gosh I've noticed this.

I've seen ones leaving one star because they cancelled their holiday and couldn't get a refund. So had never actually been to the hotel. Or because the weather was crap.

So stupid and unhelpful.

alsmutko Mon 09-Jan-17 12:52:08

Oh yes, and the transfer time airport to resort caused a bad review recently!
Hopefully, everyone reading the reviews will realise these people are complete cockwombles but even so. Some of them are funny but some are so completely OTT. The place we stayed in last autumn had a group of Swim Trek visitors. Apparently they talked too much and there was too much 'forced laughter' before they went off for their swim.

CantChoose Mon 09-Jan-17 12:52:19

I remember a trip advisor review that said the hotel was lovely but they could only give three starts as they hadn't enjoyed the holiday... because they'd fallen out with their travel companions!!

MorrisZapp Mon 09-Jan-17 12:54:48

I agree about silly reviews, in particular I'm personally not in the least bothered how nice the reception staff are, I only care about my room etc.

However, I don't agree that you should have to complain to the hotel first. If the hotel don't know what level of service they're providing then why are they charging for it? They shouldn't be relying on customer complaints, they should maintain their property and train their staff without being nagged into it.

OK, they can't know the minute a light bulb goes or if a hairdryer has just packed in. But if the food is crap or the carpet dirty in my room on arrival then they've already failed. I don't pay to stay in hotels so I can tell them how to run a hotel.

TrustySnail Mon 09-Jan-17 12:56:29

YANBU, but I don't think any sensible people take much notice of a few, ranty negative reviews amid a majority of positive ones.

I think it's fair enough to mention things like stale bread, missing pillows etc. but I'd expect to see this followed by 'we complained and it was resolved quickly' or 'we complained but nothing was done' - again, I wouldn't take any notice unless there were large numbers of recent, similar reviews.

ThisIsStartingToBoreMe Mon 09-Jan-17 13:00:09

I've seen review moaning about the number of kids at Disneyland!

ATailofTwoKitties Mon 09-Jan-17 13:00:20

But these kind of bad reviews don't do the business any harm, because anyone reading them can see that the business wasn't at fault.

Sadly, yes they do. Fewer stars makes a place slip down the rankings so that they aren't as easy (or tempting) to find and book.

And even if the 'one-star' review is from a numpty who thought they were booking Hotel Hillview and instead booked B&B Hillside Cottage, then turned up at Hillside Cottage and complained that they were unable to give him a bed for the night,
or from a family who nicked the crockery and soap dispensers from Hillside Cottage and then complained that it was low quality,
or from a git who complained that the taxis to the station were expensive (even though the B&B owners actually drove them there for no charge instead)

it can affect a small business quite badly.

Yep, real examples. Not my B&B but a friend's.

MargaretCavendish Mon 09-Jan-17 13:00:31

But it will drag down their average star rating - and a lot of people won't even look at the individual reviews, just the average.

I do love the mad reviews, though. I am such a fan of the (sadly now no longer updated) tripadvisaargh.com (warning - if you haven't seen this website before you will lose your afternoon to it).

CointreauVersial Mon 09-Jan-17 13:01:28

grin Those reviews linked by KungFuPanda are hilarious! Some people shouldn't be allowed out of the country.....

YetAnotherSpartacus Mon 09-Jan-17 13:02:15

My favourite ones are about the Victorian B&Bs that don't have an elevator!

ATailofTwoKitties Mon 09-Jan-17 13:02:39

I see I got my hotels and cottages mixed up above, but you get the gist.

user1470997562 Mon 09-Jan-17 13:03:02

I think you can see through the silly reviews and eek out what you need.

The majority of people have researched location. All they're looking for is comfort/cleanliness/friendly staff. Personally I don't like to complain whilst I'm on holiday, it puts a downer on the day. Why not have spare pillows in the wardrobe? Why is stale bread being served in the first place? If it's a good place to go, the majority of reviews will show that. Why not learn from that person not being able to find the beach? Ask future guests - do you know how to get there, can I show you or give you a map?

You get the odd one where they've clearly not had reasonable expectations. But I think they're easy to see through and they're not the norm.

RubyWinterstorm Mon 09-Jan-17 13:06:00

I like bad tripadvisor reviews and it is easy to spot unfair ones, or "bad things" that to me are good things (eg:" this hotel breakfast was disappointing, there was no bacon or any beans. How hard is it to open a tin of beans?! There was only weird fruit and salad and eggs, and types of pastries that I have not seen before."

To me that sounds a good breakfast. And also like the place won't be overrun by "Brits abroad" wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now