Talk

Advanced search

A&E for this or not ?

(59 Posts)
abigfuckinghohoho Mon 09-Jan-17 10:09:05

Ds (4) woke up with this swollen looking collarbone this morning no pain still using arms etc is it worth getting it xrayed?

NavyandWhite Mon 09-Jan-17 10:10:45

How is he generally? Does he have a temp?
Personally I would phone the GP and asked to be seen asap and go from there.

GinIsIn Mon 09-Jan-17 10:12:11

If there's no pain and he hasn't had an accident, this isn't an A&E visit - GP, I would say.

abigfuckinghohoho Mon 09-Jan-17 10:12:14

No , no temp but a weird rash on the same side on his neck yesterday confused but he's not been ill

CatoSoup Mon 09-Jan-17 10:12:52

Is it an accident? Is it an emergency?
If not (and it doesn't look like either to me), GP visit or minor injuries unit. Please don't clog the A&Es any more than they already are.

EpoxyResin Mon 09-Jan-17 10:12:53

I think I'd phone GP too. Seeing as there's no pain I'm not convinced an x-ray would be the first port of call. Defo GP. How strange!

Justme3 Mon 09-Jan-17 10:12:57

GP not a&e

Rosa Mon 09-Jan-17 10:13:09

Thats what my dd looked like when she had broken her collarbone and it was on the mend ...About 2/3 weeks afterwards. I would go Gp first as well .

abigfuckinghohoho Mon 09-Jan-17 10:13:14

Might be worth mentioning ds also has asd and several other health conditions including hypermobile joints , also has quite a high pain threshold

NavyandWhite Mon 09-Jan-17 10:14:08

I would want this checked quickly OP, my GP is excellent at slitting children in rapidly.
Have you rang yours?

Rosa Mon 09-Jan-17 10:14:11

looking again her lump was smaller actually

NavyandWhite Mon 09-Jan-17 10:14:35

Slotting not slitting!

soupmaker Mon 09-Jan-17 10:14:53

GP first I'd say. If he's not in pain and doesn't have a high temperature it's not an emergency. My experience of A&E visits is much better when I've been referred by GP. Hope your DS is okay

reallyanotherone Mon 09-Jan-17 10:15:39

I would also phone gp. It's neither accident nor emergency.

As to whether "it's worth getting it x-rayed"- that would be the decision of the treating dr, ot won't be x rayed on your say or mumsnet.
Sorry, personal bugbear of mine when people go to a &e "for an x-ray". You go to see a dr, if it needs x-raying they will refer you. Like antibiotics, there are many side effects and it's not something patients should think they can ask for.

ChestyNutsRoastingOnAnOpenFire Mon 09-Jan-17 10:15:44

Is he fine apart from the swelling? No pain, no temp, well in himself?

If so I'd just see how it goes today.
GP if you are worried.

londonrach Mon 09-Jan-17 10:17:16

Gp first in this case unless struggling to breath or done via an accident. Hope better soon

EpoxyResin Mon 09-Jan-17 10:19:17

Sorry, personal bugbear of mine when people go to a &e "for an x-ray"

I do understand this, but then again going to the doctor with a suspected fracture or broken bone is wasting their time; they can't know, and they can't do anything about it even if they do! Sometimes you really are going to A&E "for an xray" because with suspected fractures... that's where you're best off going, and that's what you'd expect them to do!

NavyandWhite Mon 09-Jan-17 10:24:54

If you have an accident and suspect a bone is broken A and E is the place to go. In this instance I don't think it fits, but if this were one of mine I'd be insisting the GP took a look asap.

EpoxyResin Mon 09-Jan-17 10:27:39

I'm with you Navy. Let us know what the GP says abig.

abigfuckinghohoho Mon 09-Jan-17 10:27:45

Thanks for the advice phoned gp someone will phone me back as there not sure what to do wither to give him a gp appointment or send his to A&E with a referral so just going to wait on this phone call and see what they suggest smile

Daisyfrumps Mon 09-Jan-17 10:28:44

We have a minor injuries unit here with an x-ray machine - do you have something similar and can ring up?

Daisyfrumps Mon 09-Jan-17 10:29:17

Ah, x-post - glad you're getting sorted either way!

abigfuckinghohoho Mon 09-Jan-17 10:29:40

No minor injury units here just a&e unfortunately x

Justme3 Mon 09-Jan-17 10:31:13

OP with hyper mobile joints and ASD pain threshold I agree it is likely it is a subluxation or dislocation (I have EDS/ hypermobilty). I'd call your GP , i would explain situation over the phone and say you don't want to waste an appointment if they would just send you to a&e with his history. I know if I call my GP the receptionist can quickly call the on call Dr for advice. I would do that

Justme3 Mon 09-Jan-17 10:31:59

X post - you've done what I suggested . Hope you get sorted out soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now