Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you have ever seen this before?

(51 Posts)
SidseBabettKnudsen Mon 09-Jan-17 09:14:43

Baking a cake last night and cracked an egg - it was full of blood and had an embryo inside!

I'm 40 and have never ever seen this before and didn't even think it was possible as I didn't think egg laying hens could mix with cockerels on farms. The eggs were free range; I got them in Tescos.

Has anyone ever encountered this before? Not a big issue or anything I'm stressed about, I'm just curious to see if this is a common thing!

GreenTureen Mon 09-Jan-17 09:23:36

I've never seen it but I think i'd probably be fascinated and grossed out in equal measure. And the poor chick!

I'm not sure if this is just one of those things that sometimes happens or if it's worth telling Tesco...just in case their supplier has a rogue cockeral amongst the hens that they're not aware of? Would they even do anything or just roll their eyes at you? [helpful]

Hardyloveit Mon 09-Jan-17 09:27:27

This happens quite a bit. I'm surprised you haven't seen it before. I have had the red bit a few times. How big was the embryo? I wouldn't tell tesco if it was small though.

BusterGonad Mon 09-Jan-17 09:32:15

I never had it and I've just googled it and wish I didn't, some people eat very weird food!

Weedsnseeds1 Mon 09-Jan-17 10:03:45

It won't be an embryo. It's what is called a meat spot and is a yolk fault in eggs. They should be screened out on the candling machine on the egg grader, but the occasional one gets through if e.g. the Shell is dark so the machine doesn't read it well. All male chicks are removed at the hatchery before they go to the laying farms, they are easy to identify as we like brown shells in the UK and this is a sex linked gene, so females are brown and males yellow.

Daisyfrumps Mon 09-Jan-17 10:09:22

full of blood doesn't sound like a meat spot?

Daisyfrumps Mon 09-Jan-17 10:11:08

Imagine if you'd hard boiled it OP!

SparklyMagpie Mon 09-Jan-17 10:14:19

Ohhh gosh, have to admit I'm clueless but if it was full of blood? Doesn't sound like a meat spot?

I think I would contact tesco, but not sure what they could do really confused

Haha not much help at all, sorry OP

SidseBabettKnudsen Mon 09-Jan-17 10:15:57

I have seen spots before - this was way more than that and as I said the whole egg was filled with blood.

Thought about googling but didn't want to see any photos so glad I didn't!

rollonthesummer Mon 09-Jan-17 10:17:36

Nope-I have never seen that before and I eat quite a lot of eggs!

SidseBabettKnudsen Mon 09-Jan-17 10:18:38

Oh Jesus, hadn't even thought about the implications of hard boiling it!!

I thought about telling Tescos, but it wasn't their own brand, it was a locally sourced farm brand and I don't know what they could do. I will get another brand in future I think, just to be on the safe side. I will never crack an egg without a certain sense of trepidation though!

Daisyfrumps Mon 09-Jan-17 10:19:00

A rogue cock is on the loose somewhere!

Aspiringcatlady Mon 09-Jan-17 10:19:37

Well I was going to make an omelette for lunch later but think I have changed my mind grin

Daisyfrumps Mon 09-Jan-17 10:20:06

I imagine this must be super rare...

VQ1970 Mon 09-Jan-17 10:28:21

I've had something similar. We had a bad smell in the cupboard and eventually tracked it down to an egg, there was a rotting embryo (or something) in the shell. It was rank!

joystir59 Mon 09-Jan-17 10:30:04

On the free range farm they must have cockerels. We used to keep chickens and a cockerel, and it is very important to remove eggs quickly from the laying boxes, otherwise a broody hen can start to sit on the eggs and if they have been fertilised an embryo will start to form. I had to throw lots of eggs away when we had a very persistent and broody chicken. It is horrible to crack an egg and find a partially formed chick inside.

ZippyNeedsFeeding Mon 09-Jan-17 10:30:51

It is very rare and there must be a cockerel on the loose somewhere. If it's any comfort, the embryo wouldn't have survived the egg being chilled, so breaking the egg isn't what killed it.
If you can, it might be worth contacting the farm to let them know. If it happens again and the customer complains to Tesco it could cost them a lot of money.

scampimom Mon 09-Jan-17 10:37:57

Oh blarrrrrrggggghhhhH!!!!! I don't think I can eat an egg again for the rest of my life. I have a massive attack of the heeby jeebies!

Serin Mon 09-Jan-17 10:39:02

I have seen this a few times when I was a kid on Grannie's farm in Ireland. She was non too hot on removing the cockerels hmm

Put me off eggs for years.

blitheringbuzzards1234 Mon 09-Jan-17 10:39:26

I eat a lot of but have never seen this, maybe the odd blood spot but that's it. This sounds really horrible and rather off-putting. shock
When we were kids we saw a picture in a book of a little embryo in an egg at different stages of its development which made us ask Mum if this meant that every egg we ate was really a little chick and she replied. "Yes I suppose it is really". We felt a bit grossed out but soon got over it and continued to eat them.
I've a dozen eggs in the fridge at the moment and I must brace myself.

Papergirl1968 Mon 09-Jan-17 10:39:47

Was in the Daily Mail online a couple of days ago about a woman in Sweden hatching a chick from a box of eggs bought from her local shop. I can't do links but if you google Daily Mail online hatch egg it should bring it up.
I always dread finding an embryo in an egg!

EssentialHummus Mon 09-Jan-17 10:42:24

That's terrible. This is a delicacy somewhere but I'm not in the mood to Google!

BreconBeBuggered Mon 09-Jan-17 10:43:14

This is why I can never eat things that are just made with eggs. I can blot it out in a sponge, but the possibility of encountering this when I fancy a boiled egg puts me off completely.

kaelea Mon 09-Jan-17 10:50:29

Once, I was baking with a friend, cracked an egg and there was a half developed chick, oh it was dreadful, thankfully my friend is made of sterner stuff than me, she dealt with it while I nearly passed out lol

Now I always crack eggs into a mug first before I do whatever I'm doing with them

anonymice Mon 09-Jan-17 10:50:55

Used to be quite common years ago. Have seen it once when I was very small.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now