Talk

Advanced search

10 minutes to decide whether to ring in sick or not

(39 Posts)
Fuckinghellfuckinghell Mon 09-Jan-17 08:24:55

Last week my car died and I couldn't get to work. Even if I could have got there, I need the car to actually work (mobile job) do I ended up sat at home all morning in a flap, trying to get car sorted but also mortifyingly handing out my work to my colleagues. They covered me and I got in for the afternoon. So embarrassing and I'm sure some of them were sceptical of why I didn't turn up for work in the morning.

Well same thing has happened this morning. I can't just not turn up again. I can't hand my work to colleagues again. Shall I just call in sick??? I'm sat here in tears because it's just one thing after another.

Just to add I've handed my notice in and I have two weeks left. I'm worried that they think this is why I'm not bothering turning up for work.

fusspot66 Mon 09-Jan-17 08:27:06

You need to show up as it could affect your references in future. Could you do admin once there
Hire a car?

Looneytune253 Mon 09-Jan-17 08:27:24

Talk to your boss and tell them about the car. They must have a plan for car troubles.

Ragwort Mon 09-Jan-17 08:27:27

Why can't you be honest and say your car has broken down and therefore you can't get in to work - presumably your work will have to be shared out between your colleagues whether you call in sick or just tell the truth - or am I missing something? confused. Is there a manager above you who will have to deal with sharing the work out?

Fuckinghellfuckinghell Mon 09-Jan-17 08:27:55

No I have no money for that and there is no admin. If I can't drive around I can't do my job

Fuckinghellfuckinghell Mon 09-Jan-17 08:28:56

Because it's the 2nd time since handing in my notice. I just feel like a complete tit and I don't think they believe me

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 09-Jan-17 08:30:35

Can you afford to get the car fixed today? Is that likely?

It doesn't sound like the car will get you through your final two weeks otherwise, and you couldn't self certify for that long. I'd be a bit worried incase someone found out somehow too; it'd probably be classed as misconduct to lie about being sick.

It all depends what options you have though. Presumably you can't borrow a car; so if you call in sick today, what would tomorrows plan be?

StealthPolarBear Mon 09-Jan-17 08:31:07

" Looneytune253

Talk to your boss and tell them about the car. They must have a plan for car troubles."

Why on earth would your boss plan for your car troubles? They are bosses, not in loco parentis!

Op is a taxi or public transport an option?

StealthPolarBear Mon 09-Jan-17 08:31:50

Oh I see you have to drive around. That's difficult them as presumably you cant hire a car to use for work.
hmm

Fuckinghellfuckinghell Mon 09-Jan-17 08:32:23

I don't know, in all honesty I feel like just giving up and letting them sack me.

I'm a health care professional. At this rate I'll never work again once I leave this job.

harderandharder2breathe Mon 09-Jan-17 08:33:34

Your colleagues will presumably still be doing your work if you're sick so you may as well be honest

LIZS Mon 09-Jan-17 08:34:04

Is access to a car a requirement of the job? If so, and you aren't planning to resolve it then you can't lie. You could be disciplined. Can you do fewer calls by public transport? Borrow or rent a car while yours is fixed?

Mouikey Mon 09-Jan-17 08:35:02

Do the have a pool car? Possibly not but some (even councils) do. But this won't be the first or last they see of cars breaking down so talk to your boss - it's terrible timing but can't be helped. Is it drivable? Do you have breakdown cover? Can you get it to a garage and get a replacement car whilst they repair it?

londonrach Mon 09-Jan-17 08:36:52

Dont phone in sick. Phone your boss and explain about the car. Can you do admin and get a bus into work.

HermioneJeanGranger Mon 09-Jan-17 08:40:39

Can you borrow someone's car, or rent a car for the day? Presumably if you're just going between houses it doesn't matter whether the car is yours or not?

CocktailQueen Mon 09-Jan-17 08:42:51

Can you borrow a car today? Can you take your car to a garage and get it sorted today? Then perhaps arrange to cover some work for colleagues if they ahve to cover your work today?

Kirstyinnorway Mon 09-Jan-17 08:44:04

Call your boss and explain you will do ANYTHING to help, and that you are worried she/he will think you are trying to skive. If you are 100% completely honest, I think it will show - please don't call in sick, it will be completely obvious.

DownWithThatSort0fThing Mon 09-Jan-17 08:44:26

Don't be hard on yourself OP

Shit happens

Make the call - ring in sick. Don't stress about what they think, whatever you do, you wont win

Then spend the day sorting your car out

Chill out

DownWithThatSort0fThing Mon 09-Jan-17 08:45:17

Even if it IS obvious, what does it matter? You are only supposed to work there for a few more days

and presumably have already a job offer to go to?

GreenTureen Mon 09-Jan-17 08:47:03

I'd go with honesty too, and say the car has broken down. If they're funny about it, tell them you'll be taking it to a garage XXX and will provide them proof of the problem when you can.

INeedNewShoes Mon 09-Jan-17 08:48:59

I'd say honesty is definitely best here.

Are you sure your insurance doesn't cover a hire car for these situations?

TheThingsWeAdmitOnMN Mon 09-Jan-17 08:51:04

Just be honest.

Yes it's embarrassing, but calling in sick is worse.

IF they say anything, just say one of the reasons you handed in your notice was the wear & tear on your car.

KayTee87 Mon 09-Jan-17 08:51:47

I would think of you have the correct car insurance then it will cover a courtesy / hire car in this instance since you use your car for work.

StealthPolarBear Mon 09-Jan-17 08:51:56

I don't think op has another job

user1478860582 Mon 09-Jan-17 08:54:44

Tell the truth and provide the evidence that the car has been fixed such as the invoice or parts you have to buy. Also be realistic. Is the car likely to break down again. If so, tell them and see if you can come up with a plan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now