Talk

Advanced search

To think The question What did you get for christmas is a strange one for an adult?

(119 Posts)
NormaSmuff Mon 09-Jan-17 07:58:34

Went back to work and have been asked this question, which always stumps me.
I have a family with 3 dc.

to me Christmas is all about giving and , seeing family.
and tbh I can never remember what I got.
aibu
this question always has me stumped.
my pleasure is seeing the gifts I ahve bought being received. I am not sanctimonious, but I just can never remember

5foot5 Mon 09-Jan-17 08:23:39

YABU I don't think it is a strange question at all!

Presumably people do buy you presents, what a slap in the face for them that you admit to paying so little attention to what they gave you that you can't remember what it was. How ungrateful!

You say you that you get pleasure from giving presents but how would you feel if the people you gave to were as dismissive of them as you are?

I too love giving presents and spend ages trying to think of things that my family will enjoy. But equally I got some lovely thoughtful things back and would have no difficulty answering the question.

WizardOfToss Mon 09-Jan-17 08:26:15

Not strange at all. DH takes great joy in buying me lovely things, as does DD. It would be more strange not to remember that, I reckon..

Spartak Mon 09-Jan-17 08:27:47

I think it's an odd question to ask an adult. I got asked if Santa had been good to me by a colleague. I'm 39 with no partner or children. I just gave a non committal grunt rather than make her feel awkward that the only gift I got was a box of biscuits!

HecateAntaia Mon 09-Jan-17 08:31:30

You are bought gifts and a couple of weeks later you can't remember what they were?
Dont you think that's a little odd? You don't know if you got a book or some perfume?
If i bought someone a gift I'd wonder why it was so unimportant to them that a week later they didnt know whether it was tickets to a play or a bath bomb set!

I know you think it's a good thing but it's really not.

If you honestly dismiss any gifts given you to the point that you have no idea what thry were then you should really consider placing more value on what people do for you.

It's actually selfish to focus on the feeling of giving and take that feeling away from others - i know that sounds weird grin but think how you would feel if someone you gave to cared so little that if someone asked them what you bought, they couldnt remember

So no, i dont think it's a weird question.
I think you should start to try to remember when people give you gifts.
If you cant remember, lie. Nobody cares what you got. It's social chit chat.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Mon 09-Jan-17 08:32:01

YABU.

You might not think you're sanctimonous but you sound like a burning martyr.

And I'm a bit incredulous that you can't remember a single thing you receive.

ChasedByBees Mon 09-Jan-17 08:32:17

Makes a change from asking about the weather doesn't it!

ChasedByBees Mon 09-Jan-17 08:32:33

Meant to be a ?

TealGiraffe Mon 09-Jan-17 08:32:42

You enjoy giving, so presumably so do the people who give to you?

Ive said to people at work 'have a good christmas? Did you get anything special?' Etc its just normal conversation isnt it?

Some people got fabulous gifts, some people dont do gifts for adults, some dont do gifts at all.

It's called having a chat. I don't need you to tell me every stocking filler you got, just a general 'oh yeah Dave got me some lovely slippers' or 'we didn't really do gifts this year, saving for the extension'.

QuitMoaning Mon 09-Jan-17 08:33:13

I think it is good sometimes as a conversation starter.

NormaSmuff Mon 09-Jan-17 08:33:37

well I could remember if pushed of course, but it stumps me blush

Bobochic Mon 09-Jan-17 08:35:35

I got some beautiful jewellery for Christmas. And money to buy things for our home - have already spent 1/3 of it replacing dinner and side plates. I enjoy them every day! How could I forget?

mumeeee Mon 09-Jan-17 08:36:50

YABU. It's a fairly normal question. Adults still get given gifts. Well they do in my family. DH and I buy for each other and we exchange gifts with our adult children

OhhBetty Mon 09-Jan-17 08:37:03

People are just making totally harmless conversation. I think you sound ungrateful that you don't remember anything you received. I think you do sound sanctimonious. Like anyone who enjoys receiving gifts is not as good as you. Fwiw I think he majority of adults enjoy giving presents etc, they just don't feel the need to tell everyone that.

KatSkinner Mon 09-Jan-17 08:37:21

Yanbu I HATE being asked this. I dislike Christmas at the best of times so all the shite before hand "what do you want for Christmas? Have you decided what I should get you for Christmas yet? Is there anything you need that I could get you for Christmas? ... " argh! No leave me alone because I can't be arsed to think about it and if you can't think of anything you want to get me, don't bother!!! It's not my job to organise your Christmas present buying!!!

And then after Christmas - "what did you get for Christmas?" I don't know, can't remember because as soon as the day was over I stopped pretending to be into it!

Sorry for the rant, yanbu op - I hate being asked because like you I can never remember.

NormaSmuff Mon 09-Jan-17 08:37:55

i know a couple of things i got which I really enjoy

agree, it is just Chat, I guess I struggle with chat.

Plifner Mon 09-Jan-17 08:38:06

Someone asked me this the other day and I was completely blindsided by it, so yanbu OP.

I think of Xmas presents for kids really. I'm 50 it seems a ridiculous question. In my case it was a boast as the woman that asked me got a mulberry handbag and a spa day grin

I got some nice skincare stuff and two books both of which I bought myself and gave to dh to wrap for me grin

HecateAntaia Mon 09-Jan-17 08:38:37

Well, since you know it's a question you are going to be asked at this time of year, take a moment to think about the things that people have been kind enough to give you. Then you'll be able to reply.

NormaSmuff Mon 09-Jan-17 08:38:48

its like hairdresser chat isnt it?

<<hate that>>

NormaSmuff Mon 09-Jan-17 08:39:52

exactly plifner. <<similar age to you>>

picklemepopcorn Mon 09-Jan-17 08:42:00

I think the present side of Christmas is more important to some than others. Some will have received a diamond necklace or an Apple Watch. Others will have had slippers and a toblerone. The first group are more likely to ask than the second, I think.

NormaSmuff Mon 09-Jan-17 08:42:56

agree pickle

TealGiraffe Mon 09-Jan-17 08:43:37

I think its actually sad that people are so unappreciative. You enjoy giving. Now imagine that person a week later going 'oh god i cant remember....im not a child....i prefer giving'. Doesnt it make you feel a bit shit?

picklemepopcorn Mon 09-Jan-17 08:43:54

My answer would be, if I were honest: more scented candles than I could burn in five years, chocolate, and a pair of slippers which I love.

NormaSmuff Mon 09-Jan-17 08:45:02

no but why would people be interested in the fact that my dm got me a dressing gown? and no my DH did not get me an Apple thingy and I guess we dont spend a fortune

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now