Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why I feel so ill?

(19 Posts)
HoursOfFun Mon 09-Jan-17 07:54:47

Sorry in advance - a whinge..

Since 29th Dec have not had an alcoholic drink, have been eating healthily, have been exercising (as do regularly all through year), running & swimming 3/4 times a week, Mostly getting enough sleep....

So AIBU to wonder why I feel really exhausted a lot of the time? (Also awake most of last night with disgusting heavy cold brewing - which seems to happen often).

Makes me wonder if all this exercise and healthy eating is worth it. I know there are many people with many worse problems in the world but AIBU?

OccasionalNachos Mon 09-Jan-17 07:57:07

Give us more information about the healthy eating - if you've cut out a lot of carbs or protein this might affect your energy levels temporarily.

Things will rebalance. I don't think it's unusual to feel very tired at this time of year! Is anything else going on that might have an impact?

Stormwhale Mon 09-Jan-17 07:57:40

Could you be low on iron?

TheMortificadosDragon Mon 09-Jan-17 08:00:06

Aftereffects of a viral infection? Some can take a while to get over.

HoursOfFun Mon 09-Jan-17 08:09:18

Thanks s for the replies.

Occasional - by healthy eating I mean as many vegetables and fruit as possible, a balance of protein and carbs, whole grains where possible, not too much sugar (though not a complete puritan), avoid junk - that'/ it really. I eat meat and fish but not very much red meat

Stormwhale - I might check out the iron thing, could be a possibility

MortificadosDragon - it could be I guess

I wonder if I am peri menopausal and that is it? Periods have been weird - sometimes really heavy, sometimes hardly there, getting less regular than used to be

I'm nearly 44, so I guess it could be that (my Mum had actual menopause at 50).

I guess I should go to the doctor but I really avoid the doctors at all costs usually.

Scruffles Mon 09-Jan-17 08:09:20

There's a really nasty bug going around that is leaving people exhausted. My mum battles through everything and she's been ill for nearly 2 weeks so far, plus I know a guy who was in bed solid for 10 days because of it. Obviously I don't know for sure it's that but it's worth keeping in mind!

FaithAgain Mon 09-Jan-17 08:11:02

Last time I felt like that I had a vitamin D deficiency. However, symptoms like that really do warrant a GP checkup.

annlee3817 Mon 09-Jan-17 08:24:18

I've been like this for over a week now, no change in diet, had a cold and then felt like I'd been run over by a bus, totally exhausted, aching and lacking any energy, it's viral and doing the rounds at the moment, so it could be that?

annlee3817 Mon 09-Jan-17 08:24:19

I've been like this for over a week now, no change in diet, had a cold and then felt like I'd been run over by a bus, totally exhausted, aching and lacking any energy, it's viral and doing the rounds at the moment, so it could be that?

Ohtheterribletwos Mon 09-Jan-17 08:36:28

Watching with interest, I've been feeling like this too. Had the winter vomitting bug mid-December and just these last few days I've felt weak, but thought it was to do with trying to eat less sweet things in favour of healthier stuff.

Bobochic Mon 09-Jan-17 08:38:07

If you are feeling very run down, rest and early nights are the first course of action.

HermioneJeanGranger Mon 09-Jan-17 08:48:50

It's probably the horrendous cold that's been going round.

It's swept through our workplace - I've had it for a week now - headaches, stuffy nose, exhausted even though I'm sleeping for 10 hours a night. Like you, I eat healthily and get plenty of exercise, but I just can't shake this cold.

I feel better now, but still have blocked ears and sniffles. It's miserable!

Scooby20 Mon 09-Jan-17 08:57:19

Its not the healthy eating. Everyonr i know has had thos awful cold thats just hung around for weeks. Ours started with ds getting a sinus infection in November.

I woild get checked out if you are worried but i doubt its the exercise or healthy eating, unless you are starving yourself.

cafenoirbiscuit Mon 09-Jan-17 08:59:10

Maybe have a thyroid check if it persists beyond a week or two? I felt absolutely exhausted when mine started to pack up.

Graphista Mon 09-Jan-17 09:03:26

If the healthy eating etc is a big change for you your body will react. There'd be an element of 'withdrawal symptoms' as your body is used to how you used to do things.

Also have you given up caffeine? Withdrawal symptoms from that alone can be a bugger, as can withdrawal from msg and other additives.

user1471462115 Mon 09-Jan-17 09:25:03

Vitamin D.

We are all short of it and should all take a supplement in the winter months.

I take an ordinary multi Vit and cannot believe how much better I feel after taking it for two years........

HoursOfFun Mon 09-Jan-17 16:48:54

Thanks everyone. I have a full on cold developing now so I guess that explains more recent tiredness - probably made worse by a 10k run two days ago. Going to try and rest.

HoursOfFun Mon 09-Jan-17 17:00:48

Thanks everyone. I have a full on cold developing now so I guess that explains more recent tiredness - probably made worse by a 10k run two days ago. Going to try and rest.

Topseyt Mon 09-Jan-17 17:02:35

Rest is probably key.

I am not one who normally gets colds but have had a shocker since Christmas and it progressed to bronchitis, which is just about starting to ease now after a course of strong antibiotics.

There just seems to be so much of it about at the moment. I know people who rarely get ill and most of us have had virulent and lingering colds over the last few weeks which we are struggling to shake off.

Change of diet suddenly can take time to adapt to as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now