Talk

Advanced search

To think that men can never become pregnant or carry a pregnancy?

(261 Posts)
Manumission Mon 09-Jan-17 07:30:28

And that this must be yet another very confusing week in which to be seven years old or thereabouts?

Nearly every week is an irritating week in which to be a clear thinker of any age but I've been really pondering this morning what it felt like to figure the world out as a child. I'm glad I'm not one ATM and that I don't have smallish ones.

Writerwannabe83 Mon 09-Jan-17 07:32:15

What??

HermioneWeasley Mon 09-Jan-17 07:32:57

I'm aware of the Sun's "pregnant man" story over the weekend, and agree it's nonsense. But what has being 7 got to do with it?

JaxingJump Mon 09-Jan-17 07:34:37

It's obviously a trans man who is pregnant, so not that confusing. I'm sure your 7 yr old could understand perfectly well.

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Mon 09-Jan-17 07:34:40

YABU.

JaxingJump Mon 09-Jan-17 07:35:54

Children are often more capable of understanding than adults. Though unfortunately will be greatly affected by what they are taught.

BIgBagofJelly Mon 09-Jan-17 07:38:05

I have to say I hate the arguments that XYZ shouldn't happen because it might be confusing for little kids. Kids tend to be open minded and even my four year old can understand plenty if you take two seconds to explain, although he's fairly unlikely to be reading the Sun in the first place. If a young child does start reading the newspaper there are far more upsetting stories they'll find than a trans person carrying a baby.

Oliversmumsarmy Mon 09-Jan-17 07:38:46

I am many years more than 7 and confused as hell.
How does a woman who believes 100% she is a man get themselves into the position of becoming pregnant in the first place.

Andrewofgg Mon 09-Jan-17 07:39:43

That's been the experience of the human species so far. Those born with one sort of physical equipment, however they may feel about their identity, cannot get pregnant; and indeed those born with the other sort, however they may feel about their identity, cannot beget a baby on those born with the first sort. As for the bullshit in the Sun, I doubt it would interest a 7 year old.

JaxingJump Mon 09-Jan-17 07:41:59

Oliversmummy the beauty of it is that it makes no difference to you how this man was feeling or what he believed about any of this.

Manumission Mon 09-Jan-17 07:42:03

Just the angle on it that popped into my head Hermione

Manumission Mon 09-Jan-17 07:43:15

(I've being re-reading Micheal Frayn's Spies so that probably had a bearing TBH)

GirlOverboard Mon 09-Jan-17 07:43:53

Yes it's nonsense but it's just a cheap headline used to grab people's attention and get page clicks. The message for children should be not to believe any old rubbish they read in the tabloids.

Mrsmorton Mon 09-Jan-17 07:44:39

jaxing you are naïve if you think this has no effect on women.

Venture over to the feminism board to open your eyes regarding the insidious erosion of women as a subset of population based on the bizarre wants of the trans movement.

Manumission Mon 09-Jan-17 07:45:05

I am many years more than 7 and confused as hell

smile IKWYM

Unicornsandrainbows3 Mon 09-Jan-17 07:46:07

Anyone remember the movie 'junior'?

Trifleorbust Mon 09-Jan-17 07:47:36

Nearly every week is an irritating week in which to be a clear thinker of any age

I wouldn't know.

Manumission Mon 09-Jan-17 07:47:57

Those of you saying that it's tabloid this or that; It isn't, is it? It's the new orthodoxy.

"A man is pregnant."

"An actual man is actually pregnant"

Query if you dare.

Never mind that such an occurrence is impossible.

Manumission Mon 09-Jan-17 07:48:51

Was it Arnie unicorn?

Writerwannabe83 Mon 09-Jan-17 07:49:58

Anyone remember the movie 'junior'?

Yep grin Loved it as a child and now as an adult I can appreciate how ridiculous it was grin

Who knows what may happen in the future though..... grin

RacoonBandit Mon 09-Jan-17 07:52:09

We teach our children the "facts of life" and it is fact that a man cannot get pregnant.
The headlines for these types of stories are always attention grabbing - Man pregnant or first women to fight on the front line blah blah blah.

It's beyond ridiculous now.
I could not careless what they call themselves or how they dress/live their lives but I do believe the correct terms need to be used. What is so wrong with saying trans man or trans women?

Manumission Mon 09-Jan-17 07:53:31

Exactly Racoon.

Words have meanings and all that.

TealGiraffe Mon 09-Jan-17 07:53:58

I saw this story shared on facebook. I just dont understand how someone can apparently feel so disconnected from their 'female-ness' that they choose to present themselves as a man. Then go through the most 'female' thing they possibly could.

Surely if you truly 'felt like a man' whatever that means hmm then becoming pregnant and giving birth would be the furthest thing from your mind?!

mirokarikovo Mon 09-Jan-17 07:55:21

"Person with womb gets pregnant" - not news

I wonder if news stories like this could actually turn out to be helpful - by showing how fundamentally silly it is to use the word "man" in a story like this.

If the words "woman" and "man" are to become meaningless as they are to become entirely unrelated to a person's biological or psychological makeup then we will start to need new words for "individual with XX chromosomes" and "individual with XY chromosomes" which can be used without the loading of historical sexism (which we hope will become a thing of the past) only when it is relevant (which will be rarely). It could actually get quite utopian IF we can get rid of the fundamental sexism within modern culture which continues to insist that it is appropriate to equate "woman"/"girl" with "likes pretty pink things, make-up hair and nails" and "man"/"boy" with "likes superheroes and battle games and climbing trees". Self-evident bollocks. The utopian ideal would come if we could just star perceiving people as people first and stop assuming that their chromosomes have any power to dictate their likes and dislikes or personality or indeed anything other than their ability to gestate a child.

Nataleejah Mon 09-Jan-17 08:00:27

No, a male cannot conceive, bear and birth a child. A female who calls herself a man, that's it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now