Talk

Advanced search

To be sick of my inlaws "helping" now?

(5 Posts)
user1477282676 Mon 09-Jan-17 05:27:55

We're moving house. Get the keys tomorrow. We're in Oz so it's day here...Monday day.

FIL arrived last night to help sort out the garden before we leave. Fine it's very nice of him as I'm packing final bits and cleaning carpet/walls.

Trouble is, it's really making more work for me. Taking him cups of tea, making meals and snacks etc.

I can't bloody relax!

He's just said he'll come Thursday night in order to help on Friday and THEN he said "Oh I might stay Friday night too.."

I don't WANT HIM TO!

I want to get on with it myself!

MIL is coming tomorrow and that means I won't even get to open up my new front door alone...silly as it sounds I have to have MIL there for no other reason than she wants a nosey.

We've still got possesion of the old house till' Saturday and FIL seems to think he can hang out here even though I'm showing a prospective buyer around for the landlady.

I made some noises to the effect of "Oh no, far too much bother for you and I've got to show a buyer round so need the place empty" and he started saying how the NEW place needs mowing and he can do that.

FFS!

RebootYourEngine Mon 09-Jan-17 05:40:12

Just tell them that you dont want them there.

AmeliaJack Mon 09-Jan-17 05:45:06

You need to put your foot down.

Big girl pants on I'm afraid.

"that's so kind of you to offer, I really appreciate it but it's not going to work for me. Come round at x time instead, that would be much better."

user1477282676 Mon 09-Jan-17 05:50:32

I can't really put MIL off as to be fair, one thing she WILL do is keep my youngest occupied and she is generally helpful though bloody nosey! grin

But FIL...I'm telling DH to tell him no. I can't bloody stand it! I can mow my own lawn!

To add insult to injury, the agent has just called me to say she went in there today to do an inspection and she was bombarded by FLEAS!

She's got the exterminators in there now...but God! Thanks goodness she walked in to that and not me with all my luggage!

Will they get rid of all the bloody things? I think the house has been empty for a long time.

Euphemia Mon 09-Jan-17 07:15:23

For goodness' sake tell PIL. They obviously think they're being helpful, and that you welcome the help.

How the hell are they supposed to know that this is not what you want? I'd be mortified if I was helping someone move and they let me gaily get on with it for weeks, then I found out I was actually really really really getting on their nerves!

Speak up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now