Talk

Advanced search

To ask what you have learned about yourself by being on Mumsnet?

(136 Posts)
LauderSyme Mon 09-Jan-17 00:22:25

I've learned that
- I am a gullible fool (or if being kind, I always want to see the best in people wink)
- I am a lot more authoritarian than I thought. I always believed I was pretty liberal, but have realised that I put a lot of faith in rules and think people should abide by them and reap the consequences if they don't.

Am sure there's more but these are the two things that have struck me most. How about you?

AGnu Mon 09-Jan-17 00:25:21

I'm autistic. I don't think I'd have ever figured it out had I not read other people's experiences on here.

TyneTeas Mon 09-Jan-17 00:26:41

helps me take a step back and see things not just from my original perspective

PotOfYoghurt Mon 09-Jan-17 00:27:11

My ignorance.

I always thought I was quite knowledgable on a lot of subjects and liked a good debate on them, but reading things on here over the years have taught me so much that I wonder if I really understood anything back then.

HerRoyalFattyness Mon 09-Jan-17 00:27:46

I'm another that realised I'm autistic.

Spartak Mon 09-Jan-17 00:30:22

That I wish I'd made more effort to find a partner and have children. I live alone with my cat and love reading everyone's stories about family life. Too late now though.

acornsandnuts Mon 09-Jan-17 00:30:33

I'm really quite average.

In a good way

IateallthePies654 Mon 09-Jan-17 00:30:43

I think I may have autism from reading the threads on here, I certainly have the triad of impairments and it would explain alot about me.

I've also realised that people be cray cray about toilet brusheshmm

TalkingofMichaelAngel0 Mon 09-Jan-17 00:31:13

ag and royal have you had a diagnosis of asd since realising you were on the spectrum from mumsnet? Did the forum make you seek a diagnosis?

Ive learnt about red flags. Heloed a lot when internet dating!

HelenaGWells Mon 09-Jan-17 00:33:38

I'm autistic. I don't think I'd have ever figured it out had I not read other people's experiences on here.

Same here. I realised DD and myself are both textbook aspies. She's in the referral system and I'm putting myself in asap.

IvorHughJarrs Mon 09-Jan-17 00:34:22

I've learned that I am sometimes kinder than I thought but, in some circumstances, a lot less tolerant of other people than I thought.
I am however, far less likely to take offence than many on here and very in favour of free speech, no matter how heinous as I think discussing and educating is the best antidote to ignorance

hungryhippo90 Mon 09-Jan-17 00:34:56

Mumsnet has helped me heal, and given me knowledge to help me see things how they really are.
1. It isn't that rare for people to have had really shit families, and those who are estranged aren't awful people, I'd always believed myself to be an unbelievably awful person to have ended up in a situation where I don't really have a relationship with most of my family.
2. Not everyone is out only for themselves, there are so many wonderfully compassionate people on mumsnet (I know because they've lent me support)
3. Life is bloody hard for so many!
4. mumsnet has helped me to not be so black and white thinking... people, I see grey too!
5, I'm also a wet blanket. One day I will post something positive!
6.I just generally love mumsnet.

GreyBird84 Mon 09-Jan-17 00:35:54

I'm an introvert with anxiety issues as opposed to odd or unsociable.

Quite a revelation.

aquashiv Mon 09-Jan-17 00:36:58

That there is no such thing as normal.

If there is, my mind and I don't belong there. smile

hungryhippo90 Mon 09-Jan-17 00:37:56

flowersflowers spartak, they are for you. Sorry.

ScuttlbuttHarpy Mon 09-Jan-17 00:39:37

That actually I'm quite stuck up.
Fairly judgmental, and I don't like it about myself.

Also that I'm very careful about what I write.

Smitff Mon 09-Jan-17 00:41:43

That I swear too much when given free reign!

FookyNell Mon 09-Jan-17 00:42:53

That I drink a million percent more than I should but also that I function quite brilliantly considering how much I've been abused in life.

Swings and roundabouts...

bonfireheart Mon 09-Jan-17 00:43:24

MN has given me perspective.

PotatoVegetable Mon 09-Jan-17 00:45:55

I'm a xenophobic racist

LittleWingSoul Mon 09-Jan-17 00:50:49

I am much more of a feminist than I would have ever thought of myself

hungryhippo90 Mon 09-Jan-17 00:51:23

Ooh, ooh potato vegetable, help me out! What does xenophobe mean?
That's something I've heard but not understood the meaning of during my stink on MN.

hungryhippo90 Mon 09-Jan-17 00:51:42

*stint not stink!

HowDoYouDrinkYourTea Mon 09-Jan-17 00:54:39

I clearly haven't been over analysing things enough. Some of the questions on here it'd never occur for me to ask

PotatoVegetable Mon 09-Jan-17 00:56:03

Hippo I would but I'm a bit thick too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now