To ring the Hospital tomorrow for some more information(15 Posts)
Backstory - 2 yrs ago I had abnormal smear. Had colospophy (?) and only mild changes so was left. I had a baby in October 2015 so went back for my followed up smear a bit late in June 2016.
Abnormal changes again but higher grade so treated with LLETZ. Received a letter 3 weeks later saying they got all the baddy cells with clear margins so no more treatment but follow up smear in 6 months.
I went for that Smear in December. I had it done at the hospital and they also had a look with the camera. Straight away the nurse can see exposed blood vessel that bleeds on contact (had been experiencing bleeding post sex) and when she puts the solution on my cervix, the whole thing turns white, indicating cell changes. Nurse decides to take biopsy as well as high up smear. She tells me I will receive my results though the post.
On Saturday I received my letter, only its not results it's an appointment with the consultant. I have never seen the consultant about this, just nurse practioners . Obvs I'm shitting myself. The appointment is for two weeks time and I can't see myself waiting all that time with no idea what is going on. I want to ring them and ask what the appointment is for, is it more treatment? Because I feel like I need to prepare for more treatment. Last time it was sprung on me at my colospophy and I hated that. More than that though I am shitting myself it's cancer.
I don't know what they can tell me over the phone but AIBU to ring??
They may have sent the results separately but even so it's horrible for you in the meantime!
I'd ring and ask. Two weeks is like two years when you're worrying
YANBU at all to ring but I doubt they'll give much away over the phone.
I had dyskaryosis after DS1 was born 11 years ago and each of my follow-up smears for the next 3 years were all abnormal, resulting in treatment after treatment after treatment. It does get better; this is my 7th year of clear smears and I'm much healthier now. and hugs. It's awful waiting for things like this but it absolutely isn't worst-case-scenario.
I'd ring and speak to consultants secretary. Ask her to speak with her/him & ring you back.
Good idea to ask the Secretary to speak to the consultant and ring me back.
I just keep thinking if the appointment was for more treaent then it would be with the nurse practioner, not the consultant.
I have had cervical cancer. When I had my biopsy it was clear (to them, they didn't indicate it to me) what it was as it's fairly obvious visually I believe. Anyway, the biopsy results were fast tracked as they are with cancer and I was called in 3 days later and told that day. They don't mess about when it's cancer.
The fact your appointment is in 2 weeks and it's been a few weeks since your test I would be calmer. However, I also think there is nothing wrong with phoning the consultant and saying you are now absolutely petrified and worried sick it's cancer and can they fit you on earlier etc?
This used to be my clinic - the fact that your appointment is 2 weeks away is reassuring - if we had to break bad news we'd have got you in within a couple of days at most - sometimes it would be a phone call to attend that same day. My (unexpert) guess would be that they have seen some changes and would want to book you in for a deeper extraction of the tissues - especially as you have already had a LLETZ. This could involve a GA and would therefore require an appointment with the surgeon's clinic for consent. There's no harm in calling. While you may not get the actual results over the phone you may get reassurance that it's not terrible news - we weren't allowed to give results over the phone but I know several occassions when a patient has been reassured they had no need to worry. And we didn't lie!
Sorry that you're in this situation.
I doubt the consultant will phone you back. They just don't have time for this. They have given you an appointment to discuss it. Imagine if even 10% of their patients were on the phone wanting a pre-consultation phone conversation?
You would be much better off phoning your GP's secretary. They should have any results on their system and your GP may be able to speak to you to let you know what's going on.
Having said that, do you really want to spend the next two weeks between now and your appointment scaring yourself to hell by Googling whatever it is when you could wait to see the specialist who will have a plan for either treatment or further investigation?
I don't think there's any harm in calling, but as others have said, if it was cancer you'd be in faster than two weeks. However, op, it doesn't really matter what we say. 2 weeks is a long time to worry and if a phone call goes someway to alleviate that worry I'd do it. Keep us updated as to how you get on?
I would definitely call the consultants secretary.
I would also be reassured by the two week wait.
There's no harm in calling to see if they will tell you more. The less information you have the more scared you will feel
My DM had a scare which could have been cleared up with a couple of calls but she didn't make them and worried herself sick for no reason. Better just to know IMO.
I forgot my phone and the letter today when I went to work so couldn't call but I definitely will tomorrow.
I am happy to be reassured that a 2 week wait is a good sign.
I had expected to wait a bit longer for my results as it was over the Xmas period so was panicking a bit that I had been called in quite early.
Seeing the consultant to book day surgery also makes sense as I could not work out why I would see the consultant when it has been the nurse practitioners to diagnose and treat in the past.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.