Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think that a Doctor should not tell a couple to get a doll if they cant have DC?

(40 Posts)
Celaena Sun 08-Jan-17 19:53:11

apologies for the DM link

A young couple are unable to get pregnant, have bought a reborn/newborn doll, as advised by their doctor? really would a doctor advise this?

"After they were turned down for adoption because their one-bedroom flat was not suitable for a baby, their doctor suggested they research the lifelike dolls."

"To make sure they have the full baby experience, the parents have also been researching what George's first word could be and plan to pass the dolls down when they eventually have children of their own using donor eggs. "

"Since the doll's arrival in October of last year, the new family have only experienced some minor backlash - one incident happened when another mother was kicked off a bus as there wasn't space for two pushchairs.

The woman had said Crystal didn't deserve the spot because her baby wasn't real."

i'd be pretty annoyed if someone with a doll meant that i couldnt get on the bus with my buggy (i dont have young dc's anymore)

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sun 08-Jan-17 19:54:49

I suspect they were turned down because of more than the bedrooms in the flat, and that the suggestion of a doll may be very relevant..... However the one bedroom flat would be a valid reason for the refusal of an adoptive child.

Surely there are mental health issues here?

BeanAnTi Sun 08-Jan-17 19:56:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nan0second Sun 08-Jan-17 20:01:52

I 100% guarantee no doctor said this.
It's for the story innit...

abbsisspartacus Sun 08-Jan-17 20:03:40

Maybe the Doctor did for mental health issues

Crispbutty Sun 08-Jan-17 20:04:19

I've seen a few articles about this today. There's a hell of a lot more to this couple that is being said by people who know them and sadly it's not good. I think they both have serious mental health problems.

Riversleep Sun 08-Jan-17 20:04:40

Yes from what you have said, it sounds like mental health issues are involved. Maybe the doctor did suggest a doll because maybe he felt that mentally they weren't ready or capable. And yes, a 16 year old and a 26year old? Think a doll is the best thing for them. This is why we need an independent press regulator imo. Clearly vulnerable people being used for clicks when they don't realise they are being held up for ridicule . I haven't read the article or comments on principle but I can only imagine what the DM readership think of them!

teainbed Sun 08-Jan-17 20:04:41

Bollocks did a doctor suggest that!

Celaena Sun 08-Jan-17 20:06:49

actually most of the comments (i do so love the DM comments section!) were mostly of the 'if its not hurting anyone else' thoughts, but there are only about 19 at the mo

Guessing they're vulnerable/there are mental health issues involved (I refuse to click on a DM link to find out).

I'd kick off if I was told I couldn't get on a bus because someone had their doll in a pushchair, though.

Crispbutty Sun 08-Jan-17 20:11:47

There are multiple articles about this couple, not just the DM

AgentProvocateur Sun 08-Jan-17 20:13:03

I've not read the article, but the only person I've ever come across with a reborn doll has a learning disability.

If it's in the Daily Mail, I imagine most of the story is pretty distantly related to the truth.

DearMrDilkington Sun 08-Jan-17 20:18:19

I'm more shocked the doll only cost £350 when it was designed to have their features.

YelloDraw Sun 08-Jan-17 20:23:18

Message deleted by MNHQ as it was disablist. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

FishlessCake Sun 08-Jan-17 20:27:09

I wasn't allowed on the bus once (when I was taking my 6 week old baby to a hospital appointment) because a woman had a rabbit in a pram.

Namejustfornappies Sun 08-Jan-17 20:28:24

FLK?

Elllicam Sun 08-Jan-17 20:30:12

shock how the heck do you get a rabbit to stay in a pram?

WorraLiberty Sun 08-Jan-17 20:33:13

Why was the word 'FIFTEEN' capital letter worthy and what is 'FLK'?

WyfOfBathe Sun 08-Jan-17 20:33:56

The article says "doctor", which could be any type of doctor, e.g. a psychiatrist who has training in this kind of... situation.

I do imagine that they have either significant mental health issues or a learning disability - not so much because they have the doll, but because they spent £250 on Christmas presents for it, take it to see FC, etc.

dailyshite Sun 08-Jan-17 20:34:24

FLK? Surely not the FLK which in the dark ages was reportedly written in medical notes until health professionals actually became accountable and answerable for that sort of twattish behaviour?

WyfOfBathe Sun 08-Jan-17 20:34:53

For people asking, FLK means "funny looking kid" and it's an offensive way to describe people who look different due to disability.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 08-Jan-17 20:34:59

FLK - Funny Looking Kid .

Nice ..... NOT hmm

SarahLinden Sun 08-Jan-17 20:35:11

If FLK means what I've just googled, then that's incredibly vile! Reported.

PleaseGetOffTheTableDarling Sun 08-Jan-17 20:35:33

FLK stands for Funny Looking Kid. It's a pretty nasty way of implying that someone has LD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now