Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask for a sick note when I'm actually getting better?

(14 Posts)
CesareBorgiasUnicornMask Sun 08-Jan-17 18:07:46

I've never had a sick note before so don't know how it works? I'm at the tail end of an appalling virus I've had since the 27th, AND I have bad morning sickness, which is also getting better as I'm now 12 weeks (and I think the coughing etc was making it worse) but I'm still vomiting a few times a day and constantly nauseous. I'm also still wiped out - went to the supermarket today which was my first proper trip out since I got ill, and had to go to bed when I got home confused.

The issue is I have an exam on Tuesday. Even assuming I can get my head round actually sitting it (involving an hour and a half trip on public transport plus walking each way) I havent done any revision, as I've spent the last two weeks in no fit state, and will almost certainly fail.

My uni has a 'fit to sit' policy, where basically if you turn up to an exam you're declaring yourself ok to do it. Or I can not show up and put in a mitigating circumstances form but that needs to be backed up by a doctors note. But will a doctor give me a note when I'm actually on the mend? I don't want the gp to think I'm taking the piss - I really have been ill. But it's with a nasty virus and morning sickness so I haven't seen a doctor while actually ill, just spoken on the phone to ask for more anti-emetics. I have no idea how this works!

NapQueen Sun 08-Jan-17 18:09:13

The doctor will definetly do you a note. You are early pregnancy and in the middle of an illness

Don't be hard on yourself.

ShowMePotatoSalad Sun 08-Jan-17 18:11:00

If it's a virus and you are still vomiting you should stay at home, and you shouldn't go back until 24 hours after the last episode of vomiting.

Definitely get a note from the Dr.

Welshmaenad Sun 08-Jan-17 18:20:14

My uni tutors would actively encourage me to apply for mitigating circumstances and get a sick note, and your dr will be happy to do it. You don't sound like you're fit to sit at all!!!

CesareBorgiasUnicornMask Sun 08-Jan-17 18:21:08

But the vomiting is just morning sickness. It's just worse with the virus because I keep having coughing fits which start me off - I haven't had a stomach bug. And I'm not 'actively' ill any more - haven't had a temperature for a few days and am moderately functional - as in I can now actually do things like go to the supermarket and load the dishwasher, and I was able to do a bit of revision today - I'm just utterly exhausted.

I don't know - I feel like a fraud.

ReggaeShark Sun 08-Jan-17 18:22:00

You might be through the worst but you're still ill. Get a sick note.

CesareBorgiasUnicornMask Sun 08-Jan-17 18:23:09

I also don't actually know what will happen if I miss the exam. I assume I'll have to do a resit but I'm not sure when - still even a week or two would give me a chance to revise and get a bit better.

harderandharder2breathe Sun 08-Jan-17 18:26:27

You're still too ill to sit the exam so you should get a sick note. It doesn't matter if you're improving, you've not improved enough to well enough.

Hope you feel better soon

whatwhatwhattowatch Sun 08-Jan-17 18:32:29

I would definitely get a sick note especially if you've been too sick you've not been able to revise properly. Resits would normally be in a few weeks I would've thought.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt Sun 08-Jan-17 19:01:42

If you do the exam on Tuesday that's it - whatever mark you get you're stuck with. By the sound of it you're not going to do yourself justice and get the mark you're capable of.

I would recommend mit circs to my students, BUT be aware that the resit may not be till April - ish.

lougle Sun 08-Jan-17 19:17:55

Your GP is very likely to write you a fit note in these circumstances. I was written a fit note 9 days into Flu/'viral illness' because I'd spent one week in bed, gone back to work on day 8 because I would have needed a fit note had I not, but was such a disaster zone on my shift (nurse) that I clearly wasn't well enough to work, so was given a fit note for what would be day 11 and 12 of the illness, because they were weekend days and there was no way I would be able to get a GP review at the weekend. So the GP wrote me the note so that I could use it if I still felt unwell and could choose not to use it if I felt better.

Mrsglitterfairy Sun 08-Jan-17 19:21:33

Get a note. You would actually BU to yourself if you don't. You need to put yourself first, especially as you're pregnant, and there's no sense in sitting an exam when you're not feeling good. flowers

BellyBean Sun 08-Jan-17 19:26:45

I went to the doc asking for meds for morning sickness, he offered me a sick note. They tend to be v sympathetic with pregnancy as you need to look after the baby.

CesareBorgiasUnicornMask Sun 08-Jan-17 22:31:32

You're all echoing what DH is saying. So I'm going to go and ask tomorrow. And hope the GP doesn't give me a stern look and tell me I'm being pathetic no hangups left over from childhood attempts to skip school here at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now