Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To go to slimming world and not do slimming world?

(25 Posts)
cherrycrumblecustard Sun 08-Jan-17 17:52:29

I know it sounds stupid.

I want to lose some weight but I think I just need someone weighing me every week. Plus I like chatting to people. And it's something to do one evening per week. Or is this silly?

Allthewaves Sun 08-Jan-17 17:53:44

you would be better off with ww meeting. sw meeting are notorious for being super long as they have to go round every person and ask about their loss or gain

cherrycrumblecustard Sun 08-Jan-17 17:55:07

I quite like that though!

Pettywoman Sun 08-Jan-17 17:56:16

That's what I do OP. I go to SW or WW and use MFP to diet. I just need to pay to be weighed and tutted at once a week.

whatiswrongwithyou Sun 08-Jan-17 17:57:46

That's brilliant Pettywoman grin

Tinkerbec Sun 08-Jan-17 17:58:21

I used to do it too. It is still motivating and has accountability.

harderandharder2breathe Sun 08-Jan-17 17:59:17

Why not give SW a try, if you're going to the meetings anyway?

Ginkypig Sun 08-Jan-17 18:01:53

It'll be hard unless you pretend to do it because a lot of these meetings are talking about points or syns what you can eat for that many etc. so if your not doing it you can't really join in the chat I you see what I mean.

For what it's worth im "doing" ww I go every week but I don't point now I did at the start and if I find a new product I still check it but because I know roughly the points in the things I'm eating now I guesstimate it.
It's taken longer than some there because I'm not mega strict (because im not properly pointing) but Iv lost 3 stone in around 20 months.

altiara Sun 08-Jan-17 18:05:31

Local to me there is a lady that runs fitness classes in school halls and if you go early she does a weigh in and healthy eating talk. Maybe have a look for something like this as if you're not actually doing sw/ww you don't want to buy into the sw or ww 'brand' so it's much cheaper. Plus then you get to go to a fitness class (which even if you do at snail pace is at minimum an hour where you are not eating grin)
Now I've said that, I hope you have something like this.

SparkleShinyGlitter Sun 08-Jan-17 18:07:46

I think it's fine. If the though of being weighed in front of people once a week is what you need to spur you on in your weight loss then why not?

cherrycrumblecustard Sun 08-Jan-17 18:10:20

Don't think there is anything like that, and the SW meeting is really so close to where I live. Lots of people seem to go.

SaucyJack Sun 08-Jan-17 18:10:57

Not silly at all.

Plus, the basics of SW are fairly sensible eating anyway. I'm sure your diet would fit in there somewhere. You don't have to eat Muller Lights or fake chocolate bars to join in.

Foxysoxy01 Sun 08-Jan-17 18:17:16

I think it's quite sensible actually, going to a meeting and being weighed, having to be accountable for weight gain, talking with others that are slimming, all these are great for weight loss and tbh SW is basically a low calorie-ish diet. Just do what works for you diet wise you may find you are pretty much doing SW without knowing it iyswim.

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 08-Jan-17 18:17:32

I was a long term slimming world member. Eventually I got fed up and decided to quit sugar and went low carb but still attended meetings for 12 weeks as I had just been bought a countdown as a gift. Once I changed plan, especially to something so unlike sw (eg I was eating full fat dairy and calorie counting, and certainly not eating huge plates of pasta and unlimited fat free yoghurts etc) I found the meetings really tedious as everyone was talking about their massive meals of spag Bol and huge fruit salads and the muller light infatuation and I was mentally counting the calories thinking it was probably double my calorie allowance. I felt like I couldn't share my success because it wasn't the true plan, although I did say I'd been using my syns on full fat yoghurt and extra cheese.
Incidentally, after attending sw for 5 years and never, not once, being slimmer of the week, in the 11 weigh ins after I quit sugar I was slimmer of the week 10 times, and slimmer of the month twice. Make of that what you will.....
I do appreciate the need for a non-denominational weight loss/weigh in group though. I now host a bi-weekly coffee club where me and 5 others put a pound in the kitty and weigh ourselves, the highest percentage weightloss wins the prize!

dollydaydream114 Sun 08-Jan-17 18:19:37

If you don't mind paying just to be weighed, then it's fine - nobody's going to come round your house and check what you're eating! As others have said, if being weighed in front of people is the main thing you think you need to help you focus, there's nothing to stop you signing up and ignoring the SW plan.

Obviously if you aren't following their plan, there won't be much the SW rep can do to help/advise if you hit a plateau, as their advice will be limited to the particular plan they follow - and I suppose that if everyone's just banging on about syns and green and red days and all that, the scope to join in the chat might be more limited. But really I bet there are actually lots of people who go to SW or WW and are secretly just following their own plans, so it's certainly worth giving it a go!

Some local authorities/care trusts have their own more informal weight loss groups that meet in a similar way, but without the need to follow a prescribed commercial method, so it might be worth looking out for that sort of thing too.

dollydaydream114 Sun 08-Jan-17 18:22:49

Oh and I agree with what Saucy Jack says - I've done SW and it's pretty much just sensible eating really, except for a couple of odd quirks which I just ignored anyway! So you'd probably not being doing anything hugely different to the other members anyway in terms of your eating.

cherrycrumblecustard Sun 08-Jan-17 18:37:13

Thanks smile is it just the one meeting a week?

CauliflowerSqueeze Sun 08-Jan-17 18:37:34

That's my problem. I want a low carb low sugar diet weigh in place.

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 08-Jan-17 20:50:58

Cauliflower exactly- and the sw gang did definitely turn their noses up at me using my syns for things I could have fat free versions of for free and not having chocolate or biscuits etc.

Catsick36 Sun 08-Jan-17 20:57:43

I did slimming world for a year ate butter and coconut oil instead of the fryshite they promote, no Muller or fake chocolate, quit sugar. Lost a 2 and a half stone. Pregnant now so not going to meetings but will be doing the same once baby is born.

YoHoHoandabottleofTequila Sun 08-Jan-17 21:02:26

Is it really stupid to be nervous about going on my own?

Whatdoesaturkeydo Sun 08-Jan-17 21:12:54

Yoho don't be nervous if you are going for the first time you will astart in the new members talks and you guarantee there will be at least half a dozen other newbies mainly on their own after the new members bit you come over to sit with the main group and I find the new people usually sit together and that's the start of getting to know people at group

Glitteryfrog Sun 08-Jan-17 21:22:53

I do appreciate the need for a non-denominational weight loss/weigh in group though. I now host a bi-weekly coffee club where me and 5 others put a pound in the kitty and weigh ourselves, the highest percentage weightloss wins the prize!

Maybe we need an accountability thread?
I'm less weight loss and more... Get off your arse and run, go to the gym or something and don't bloody undo it by eating a Mars bar because you haven't burn that much at the gym and you want good arms for your wedding!

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 08-Jan-17 21:36:28

There's always the low carb threads on here? Or I'm on the Michael Moseley blood sugar diet thread on here which is very long-running and has some lovely people who are very knowledgeable about the low carb w.o.e

allowlsthinkalot Sun 08-Jan-17 23:54:05

When I did slimming world they asked you to keep a food diary and went through it every week. I think it would be hard and boring to go to the meetings and not follow it.

I much prefer ww.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now