Talk

Advanced search

Another parking one ..

(21 Posts)
SidAndNancy Sun 08-Jan-17 12:44:51

I live in a block of six flats.

There is parking at the front (not marked/numbered). One of the prime spots has a car that hasn't moved in months ... its got a flat tire, covered in leaves etc.

aibu to think this is a piss take?

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Sun 08-Jan-17 12:46:27

No, assuming the car belongs to a resident

HecateAntaia Sun 08-Jan-17 12:46:59

You could always report it as abandoned. Maybe it has been.

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Sun 08-Jan-17 12:47:46

Sorry not sure post was clear. I mean no YABU, assuming it's a resident's car

SidAndNancy Sun 08-Jan-17 12:48:31

*No, assuming the car belongs to a resident"

I think it probably is, but I'm not 100% sure.

Boolovessulley Sun 08-Jan-17 12:50:06

Maybe they are waiting until they. S. Afford to have it repaired?

harderandharder2breathe Sun 08-Jan-17 12:52:03

Does it stop you parking? If so it might be worth mentioning to ll or building management company. If it's not taxed and insured they may refuse to allow it to be kept on the property

Anniegetyourgun Sun 08-Jan-17 12:53:54

You can check that online yourself, I think?

PebbleInTheMoonlight Sun 08-Jan-17 13:26:44

DVLA have an online checker. You can run the number plate in there (with make and model). That'll confirm if it's SORN.

If it is, report it. No SORN vehicles are permitted on public roads even if not in use.

If it's legally taxed you can try 101 to report an abandoned vehicle but not much else will happen.

When I reported an untaxed car in similar circumstances the owner moved it fairly swiftly to elsewhere.

PebbleInTheMoonlight Sun 08-Jan-17 13:27:42

Oops misread. Private land, nothing you can do unfortunately.

PotteringAlong Sun 08-Jan-17 13:31:05

6 flats, 6 parking spaces. They can do whatever they like with their parking space.

SnatchedPencil Sun 08-Jan-17 13:33:43

A resident has the nerve to leave their car in a parking space reserved for residents to use? Shock, horror!

If you are concerned you should report it to whoever manages the building, but really they are doing nothing wrong.

mambono5 Sun 08-Jan-17 13:45:09

It happened in my car park. The management company wrote to each flat advising that the car would be removed. The owner dealt it with quickly. It's a car park, not a junk yard. If nothing else, they can at least ask if it belongs to someone.

What I would not advise is to remove it from the private property (tricky part is to remove the hand break) and push it at night onto the main road for the council to deal with it eventually. That never happens in real life.

SparklyLeprechaun Sun 08-Jan-17 13:52:24

1. They can't afford to repair it
2. The driver is ill/on holiday /temporarily disqualified from driving
3. They only use the car on holidays

None of your business why a resident parks his car legally in the residents' car park

RortyCrankle Sun 08-Jan-17 14:15:57

Assuming it's a resident's vehicle in their own parking space and you have a parking space which you are able to access, how does this impact on you in any way?

SidAndNancy Sun 08-Jan-17 14:19:21

I think I was pretty clear in my OP when I said there were spaces and they weren't marked.

No one has an assigned space.

It's annoying that one of the best spaces to park in is used permenantly by a car not in use.

SidAndNancy Sun 08-Jan-17 14:21:30

6 flats, 6 parking spaces. They can do whatever they like with their parking space.

How have you come to the conclusion there are six parking spaces? hmm do you live here? Because I never said that in my OP.

DailyFail1 Sun 08-Jan-17 14:24:29

If it's a residents car why shouldn't they park it there until they can presumably afford to fix it/insure it? Number of parking spaces/this being a prime space is irrelevant.

TheCatsMother99 Sun 08-Jan-17 14:24:33

Is your managing agent or HA aware?

What does it say in the lease about cars and parking spaces? Sometimes they're specific o cars being roadworthy or sometimes they say about monopolising spaces etc.

QueenMortificado Sun 08-Jan-17 14:26:53

It's annoying but they do have as much right as you to leave their car there

HalfaFishFingerAndTwoPeas Sun 08-Jan-17 14:27:28

Op maybe pottering is the car ownershock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now