Talk

Advanced search

to not want the dentist to remove a tooth so quickly on 6 year old DD?

(38 Posts)
Soscared100 Sat 07-Jan-17 22:00:18

Daughter of 6 hasn't lost any baby teeth so far and Friday I noticed that she had the start of an adult tooth coming up behind one of her bottom teeth
I had a dentist appt for myself Friday afternoon so mentioned it to the dentist who said to give it 10 days and then bring her in for him to remove
Is this really needed?
He mentioned that if by 7 no other baby teeth have fallen out, he recommends she goes into hospital to have every tooth removed under a general?!

2ndSopranos Sat 07-Jan-17 22:04:00

My dd, also 6, had exactly that. She didn't have any teeth until she was 1 so it made sense to me that she'd start to lose them 'late'. She's lost the two bottom ones at the front and the top two are starting to wobble.

What your dentist says sounds bizarre to me - not to mention a horrifying prospect for your dd!

KathArtic Sat 07-Jan-17 22:04:32

Ask for a referral to a consultant and have her teeth monitored for the next few years. She can't have them removed all at once as it would affect her speech, eating and confidence.

CaptainMarvelDanvers Sat 07-Jan-17 22:05:47

7 is still pretty early isn't it? According to my mum I didn't start losing my baby teeth until I was 8 or 9.

BIgBagofJelly Sat 07-Jan-17 22:06:43

I'd echo KathARtic's advice and get a referral to a consultant/ What he's suggesting sounds massively extreme. (I lost my last baby tooth when I was 16 almost 17!)

Justme3 Sat 07-Jan-17 22:06:47

Oh my word that's horrific. I suggest both of you change dentist!! I'd not go back to him for me or my kids !

idontlikealdi Sat 07-Jan-17 22:07:59

That sounds horrific and I've never heard of it. One or two maybe but all of them?!

amyisagonegirl Sat 07-Jan-17 22:09:07

I'm a dentist. Totally normal at this ages to have destined baby teeth and adult teeth starting to cut through in the same area. Can be difficult to keep clean and needs careful toothbrushing but totally normal and IMO extractions are not required.
In some cases retained baby teeth can cause issues not not at 6yrs old!!!!

LoftDweller Sat 07-Jan-17 22:09:12

I had an adult tooth grow before the baby tooth had fallen out. The result is my tooth grew forwards instead of straight up and is the same now. If it was my dc I would have it taken out.

butterflymum Sat 07-Jan-17 22:09:20

If it was our dentist, she would have both the baby and adult ones until mid teens, then have the stubborn baby ones eventually removed and unfortunately find that the adult ones won't all move into correct position, so by late teens she would need a brace.

DeathStare Sat 07-Jan-17 22:09:58

Are you in the U.K.? That sounds bizarre

StonesinMyPocket Sat 07-Jan-17 22:10:51

My 6 year old has all his teeth. It can't be that late to lose them. He got his first tooth at 9 months.

amyisagonegirl Sat 07-Jan-17 22:10:52

Sorry re typos.... normal at this age to have retained...

Soscared100 Sat 07-Jan-17 22:11:00

Yes I think I am going to make an appt for the other dentist for her check up in 2 weeks and see what she says as it sounds very OTT

2ndSopranos Sat 07-Jan-17 22:11:09

Actually thinking about it two of my top teeth grew over my baby teeth. I did need orthodontic later but good god, no full clearance aged 7!

Petalbird Sat 07-Jan-17 22:11:28

If they start coming out of the gums then I think the baby teeth have to be removed but I was 13ish when that happened so I think 7 is too young

capercaillie Sat 07-Jan-17 22:12:30

Both of my two lost their first tooth at 7 years old. Dentist not concerned at all.

Wishforsnow Sat 07-Jan-17 22:13:54

I would get a second opinion that does sound quite extreme at 6

Soscared100 Sat 07-Jan-17 22:18:54

I don't think the concern was the age she is losing them / not losing but more of the fact that the adult tooth is growing behind the tooth rather than straight up, pushing the baby tooth out on its way kind of thing!
Surely they will all be in the wrong place if she continues to have them one up behind the baby teeth?
Although they could do that anyway couldn't they surely?!

Givemestrength12 Sat 07-Jan-17 22:21:25

Daughter lost what she thinks is her last babytooth yesterday...she is 17...
I wouldnt agree to have them removed by the dentist...unless there was some meaning reason why..and I wouldnt agree to all the teeth to be removed...ever.

Givemestrength12 Sat 07-Jan-17 22:22:13

Some damning reason why they should be....

happy2bhomely Sat 07-Jan-17 22:22:46

My ds had his 2 adult teeth come in behind his baby teeth. He was 6 ish. He had 2 rows of teeth for about 3 months and then the baby ones started to wobble and then came out. His new teeth moved forward gradually.

He is 16 now and has a perfect set of teeth. He didn't need a brace and doesn't have any fillings.

My dentist told me that it is quite common and nothing to worry about.

amyisagonegirl Sat 07-Jan-17 22:23:58

So scared, she has a child sized mouth and adult sized teeth coming in. Her jaws still have some growing to do. She will be short of space and crowded for a while. Totally normal. Most children require braces to straighten out their teeth. Her still having baby teeth won't affect this.

Gallavich Sat 07-Jan-17 22:24:29

He mentioned that if by 7 no other baby teeth have fallen out, he recommends she goes into hospital to have every tooth removed under a general?!

All her teeth? What the hell? Are you sure you heard right?

Soscared100 Sat 07-Jan-17 22:27:06

Yes all her teeth if it looks as though the adults are growing behind instead of directly underneath

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now