Talk

Advanced search

Annoying friend

(5 Posts)
Lifeisshort123 Sat 07-Jan-17 20:31:50

I've got a friend who's forever moaning about being overweight and nicknames herself 'the whale'. I'm someone who's been overweight since the age of 9 and obese at times. I'm currently a size 18 and she's got a lovely figure, she's not skinny at all. She has the big features most woman would love (big boobs and a bum) but isn't fat at all... she's a size 8 in teeshirts and size 10/12 in bottoms. She's constantly moaning about her weight even though she's 8.5/9 stone and I'm sure many people reading would love to be a size 10 and wouldn't be complaining!
It's all she wants to talk about, aibu to want to ask her to stop bringing up weight and shape all the time?

georgethecat Sat 07-Jan-17 21:13:28

Yup tell her.

I had a go at my friend the other day for pudding shaming me. She's a fine weight but dieting. I decided to have a pudding, whilst I'm eating it she reads out nutritional contents & sighing.......Fuck Off!

RonaldMcDonald Sat 07-Jan-17 21:24:11

The thing is that she is talking about her stuff and you are talking about your stuff
For her she isn't happy with her body and she is having a moan as anyone is entitled to do so.
For you you are much larger than her have struggled in your own way with your weight and body image and might like to have a moan and be entitled to do so
Neither moan is more important or relevant than the other.

CaraAspen Sat 07-Jan-17 21:32:22

Maybe this friend is making herself feel even better about herself by moaning in front of her larger friend? It is insensitive but I think she gets something from doing it.

AngelaKardashian Sat 07-Jan-17 21:34:34

Maybe you're not as big as you think you are or she thinks she's bigger than she is? She must feel that you're both in similar situations so can talk together about three things. If it's making you uncomfortable, tell her. We shouldn't be friends with people we can't be open and honest with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now