Talk

Advanced search

Noisy Newborn

(30 Posts)
Mommawoo Sat 07-Jan-17 14:37:49

Ds is 19 days old and is incredibly noisy! He doesn't cry (thank god) but there is a constant soundtrack of grunts, snorts, clicks, pops and occasionally even some growling.

He also has a noise he makes when he needs something (nappy change, boob) that sounds like an old man grumbling grin I don't remember dd being this noisy!

He also has an outbreak of baby acne which I read can coincide with a baby's fussy period. He will also fuss at the breast and struggle to latch on occasionally.

Does this all sound normal? I'm worried it could be a sign of colic or reflux as dd was a totally silent baby that just locked onto the breast and stayed there for hours.

Mommawoo Sat 07-Jan-17 14:40:33

Oh bollocks, meant to post in chat angry

statetrooperstacey Sat 07-Jan-17 14:41:11

Yes it's normal, really annoying tho! My DH used to call it creaking, as in ' I couldn't sleep last night cos the baby was fucking creaking' grin

ImYourMama Sat 07-Jan-17 14:41:30

DD is 3 months old and is exactly like this smile all normal

Mommawoo Sat 07-Jan-17 14:44:59

Yes creaking is a good way to descibe it!

TheVeryHungryDieter Sat 07-Jan-17 14:48:36

Yes, I didn't get a wink of sleep with DS. The grunting and snorting and creaking went on forever. With DD I was much more relaxed and just ignored her noises half the time, so it definitely seemed she was a much better sleeper!

lozengeoflove Sat 07-Jan-17 14:49:22

All normal. Both of mine sounded like they'd swallowed a zoo, at that stage.

DD had terrible baby acne. GP had to calm me down as I was convinced she had meningitis confused

OhFFSAreYouSerious Sat 07-Jan-17 14:50:26

My newborn is exactly the same. Lots of grunting, sighing, snuffling, croaking, squeaking and farting!!

But thankfully not much crying, unless he's really ravenous.

LittleLionMansMummy Sat 07-Jan-17 14:54:36

We call it 'witching' with 6 week old dd. She only does it lying on her back. But she is quite colicky/ refluxy - but likewise very little crying, just very uncomfortable sounds. Ds was exactly the same but improved around 12 weeks.

Blue2014 Sat 07-Jan-17 15:12:51

Mine does this too - I love it, think his old man noises are adorable (and much better than crying!)

annlee3817 Sat 07-Jan-17 15:16:20

My DD sounded like a truffle pig smile

SquinkiesRule Sat 07-Jan-17 15:18:57

annlee that is a perfect description of what my Ds2 sounded like it was funny to hear all the snuffles and grunts.

Woobeedoo Sat 07-Jan-17 15:18:59

So normal. No one ever told me how loud a sleeping newborn actually is, mine snorted, grunted, squeaked, hiccuped, sighed, farted and burped practically the whole night long.

Whatsername17 Sat 07-Jan-17 15:55:29

Try Aveeno for the acne. It cleared dd's up beautifully. Gp prescribed it.

statetrooperstacey Sat 07-Jan-17 16:16:10

Worse tho is when the creaking stops . . . . . . . And you propel yourself out of bed in a panic! They're fine, obviously, you return to bed, settle down and the creaking starts again. . . . It's just all a bit shit isn't it?!grin and that's all in between the feeding, that's why they are cute it stops u leaving them in the garden for the foxes, Best luck x

MummaGiles Sat 07-Jan-17 16:17:38

Had completely forgotten about this, but yes DS did this too. That's why he was out of our room within a few months.

CupofTeaTime Sat 07-Jan-17 16:21:41

Yep! My 7 week old is the same. Sometimes she's so noisy we can't hear the tele when she's asleep! Hoping it's a phase

Bungleboggs Sat 07-Jan-17 16:27:09

My premmie was very grunty

BellyBean Sat 07-Jan-17 17:16:16

My friend said dairy made the acne worse.

Namejustfornappies Sat 07-Jan-17 17:21:49

Omg I was so shocked at how noisy pfb dd1 was! grin
All 3 of mine have been noisy but the latest had the cutest little old man oomph sound whenever he stretched out grin

ktkaye Sat 07-Jan-17 17:27:31

Sleeping next to My premmie DS was like sleeping next to a train. Nobody warned me so I thought all the noise was something wrong! Apparently it's normal - He's (mostly) outgrown it at 3 months

Tobebythesea Sat 07-Jan-17 18:06:21

Yep. Newborns sound like you are sharing a room with a caveman.

MetalMidget Sat 07-Jan-17 18:13:26

My lad went through a phase of grunting whilst slamming his legs into the mattress. And the farting, oh god, the farting.

He's now 5 months old. He's quieter when he sleeps, but when he's awake he'll yell when he's tired. AAAAAHHHH. He also makes very sweet sounds, like a tiny raptor.

adjsavedmylife Sat 07-Jan-17 18:19:48

Yep. Like sharing a bed with a baby warthog

Honeybee79 Sat 07-Jan-17 18:22:45

Totally normal. DD is 6 weeks and v noisy - grunting, farming, growling, snuffling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now