Talk

Advanced search

to not be having a great birthday?

(26 Posts)
cassadee Sat 07-Jan-17 13:52:08

I feel like a brat saying this! I'm going out for a meal tonight with friends but nothing really on for today which I feel quite sad about...

My parents have apparently sent a card (they have given me some money too which is kind!) but it's not yet arrived - I know they posted it last thing yesterday but I just feel a bit forgotten about, they weren't going to send one originally

Servicesupportforall Sat 07-Jan-17 13:53:57

Ah happy birthday anyway maybe go out to shop and a nice lunch with a glass of something fizzy to treat yourself. flowers

fourandnomore Sat 07-Jan-17 13:54:30

Happy birthday! I have felt like that sometimes when you have a night out but nothing in the day, think people always assume you'll have plans on the day, could you just ask a friend to go shopping or for coffee and cake this afternoon? Or even just enjoy your own company to celebrate, do something you don't get a chance to normally? Hope you have a lovely evening anyway.

SadTrombone Sat 07-Jan-17 13:55:48

Happy Birthday pet cakewineflowers

Rainydayspending Sat 07-Jan-17 14:01:10

Happy Birthday flowers perhaps a lovely pamper session this afternoon before your meal?

Bodicea Sat 07-Jan-17 14:03:56

I would go get myself a manicure/pedicure ready for the evenings frivolities.

uncoolnn Sat 07-Jan-17 14:05:04

Happy birthday! cake

cassadee Sat 07-Jan-17 14:07:04

Thanks - feel a bit forgotten about sad

It was my flatmates birthday a few weeks back and a big fuss was made then but I think novelty has worn off now so it's not really been like that today for me - which is fine.

Another group of my friends had a mini break for one friends birthday and we're going to repeat for mine - but not everyone is free on one weekend and it just seems a bit flat now.

Sorry to moan. Just keep inevitably comparing myself to others and it's a bit shit!

parques Sat 07-Jan-17 14:12:26

It's my birthday too. DH is working, DS1 is revising and DS2 is in the park playing football. I've just been for a run as I'm home alone. Know how you feel cassadee

fessmess Sat 07-Jan-17 14:17:13

Happy Birthday to us all! Mine too and I'm sat in Costa having a cheeky coffee before I do weekly shop. Did have a lovely horse ride this morning though( a rare treat). Meal planned at home tonight and I hope I won't be cooking. Wouldn't count my chickens. Next year is 50 so I will want to celebrate that one. My loved ones have shown their love to me today in their own way so I'm happy. In past I have not had anyone to celebrate with as everyone's skint, not drinking or dieting!!

Strongmummy Sat 07-Jan-17 14:21:25

Don't rely on others to make you feel special. Do it yourself. Buy yourself your Fave chocolates or something, have a massage, etc........You're going out tonight so be thankful you have mates!

cassadee Sat 07-Jan-17 14:52:24

Happy birthday Parques and fessmess!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

monsterbookofty Sat 07-Jan-17 15:15:59

I have a January birthday and it is always a bit flat. I think its the time of year.
Happy birthday!

fussychica Sat 07-Jan-17 15:32:37

Happy Birthday to you all!
My birthdays are often shite, so much so they have become a family joke. Cancelled trips, broken foot, DS too ill to fly over at the last minute, the list is enless! I've resigned myself to accept it's just another day.
Enjoy your meal with your friends tonight

Marmite27 Sat 07-Jan-17 15:37:31

It's my DH's birthday today too. He went to the tip this morning, took the baby swimming then made me breakfast!

He's gone out on his bike for an hour before we go out for tea. (Definitely tea not dinner as DD1 will be coming!)

Happy birthday to everyone else celebrating today.

iwannapuppy Sat 07-Jan-17 15:41:29

Ah my birthday too! Happy birthday to us all. I've just been sat here in tears as I was going out tonight and half my friends have cancelled and the drinks have been hijacked by another friend who's birthday it is and I'm now not going to know many people there (I know I should see it as an opportunity to meet new people but I'm quite shy). I regret trying to arrange birthday drinks every year as I always get upset and disappointed (people have no money or are ill due to time of year). I think I might just do a bit of online retail therapy to cheer myself up smile

cassadee Sat 07-Jan-17 15:43:45

Aw iwannapuppy i completely relate!!!! Let's all go for bday drinks! Happy Birthday 🎈❤️🎈

cassadee Sat 07-Jan-17 15:44:18

Don't be sad! (I am also telling myself this!) Retaik therapy is always good!

TanteJeanne Sat 07-Jan-17 15:51:58

Happy birthday all January babies.
I think you have to know what you want and then plan it. My ideal birthday involves a lie in, lunch or brunch with friends or sister, an afternoon shopping then early dinner with my own family.
Other people would hate it....
Don't be coerced into doing what others want to do but DO make plans and make something happen for yourself...

fourandnomore Sat 07-Jan-17 15:53:11

Retail therapy and virtual drinks for all of you! As a pp said, treat yourselves wine cake flowers for all of you birthday girls/boys.

CakesRUs Sat 07-Jan-17 15:54:30

Happy birthday. I totally treat myself and indulge on my birthday, regardless of what my friends and family do. cakeflowers

AgathaMystery Sat 07-Jan-17 15:55:20

Me too... I've treated myself to sali hughes 'Pretty iconic' & I must say I'm in beauty geek heaven. Happy birthday to us January babies x

Graceymac Sat 07-Jan-17 16:05:01

I am not really big on my own birthday, it's not that important to me so I can't really relate to the disappointment that you feel.
I enjoy making a fuss of my dds birthdays, I don't enjoy getting older! Once you have kids there birthdays become more important.
It sounds like you have a nice evening planned so it's not all bad.
Happy birthday to all celebrating today!

Nanna50 Sat 07-Jan-17 16:30:59

Ah January birthdays, after the festive season no one has no money left, they are all partied out, sick of eating and drinking, started diets, doing dry January, etc. Everyone is winding down and forgets there is a birthday, As for gifts we just got what we wanted for Christmas and really do not need the left over 3 for 2's from the Boots 75% off sale or your unwanted Xmas pressies.
My January birthday has usually been a non event, my family give me IOU's or tickets for an event or trip later in the year, we celebrate quietly. I have three friends with Dec / Jan birthdays and we have a celebration together in February.
Happy Birthday

JassyRadlett Sat 07-Jan-17 16:42:13

Blimey there's a lot of us with birthdays today! It's a bit of a rubbish time to have a birthday in this country I've found - cold, dark and everyone is skint and over celebrating.

I've had a nice quiet day, took one of the kids to a birthday party, and going out for dinner tonight. Low key but we're all knackered. We'll go on an outing next week I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now