Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Turkey

(16 Posts)
PebbleTTC Sat 07-Jan-17 05:39:54

Posting for traffic. My mother is trying to get home for her mother's funeral and just had a call from her to say she got diverted to somewhere in turkey and is stranded for 24-48 hours due to snow.

How can I find out where her flight got diverted to? I tried flightstat and a few others through googling but nothing is coming up

EssentialHummus Sat 07-Jan-17 05:42:38

Can you call her airline?

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 07-Jan-17 06:45:28

Can't your mother just ask at the information desk. I'm sure someone will speak English and tell her where she is. If they are there for 24 hours, the airline will be organising hotels etc. so there will be a rep there.

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 07-Jan-17 06:47:29

A quick Google shows it's Istanbul Atatürk airport that's closed

Mouseinahole Sat 07-Jan-17 07:46:24

There were blizzards in Istanbul yesterday. The trouble is that most of the international routes go through Istanbul.

PebbleTTC Sat 07-Jan-17 07:49:25

Thanks, her airline is Turkish Airlines and they are just saying in their website that the flight is canceled. She is in a hotel for now so would imagine if they put them up in a hotel so fast that it's going to be a while.

I just can't believe bad luck she is having

PebbleTTC Sat 07-Jan-17 07:51:59

I have just found out they were diverted to Adana, looking on the map it looks to be very close to Syria! Now I'm even more worried

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 07-Jan-17 10:07:01

Well it looks like all UK flights route back from Adana via Istanbul so she could be there a while. It's worth her asking if there is any way to route back via a third country, even if it's to a different UK airport from where she started. What airport did she start from? Can she route back to there then fly to another hub e.g. Paris, Amsterdam and then back to UK? Airlines normally have reciprocal arrangements with each other so she may not have to use the same airline.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sat 07-Jan-17 10:11:42

With respect, it's 5.5hrs drive and 400km to the nearest border of Syria from that airport. That's the same as London to Gretna Green. Please don't be too worried.

Was she heading to Turkey anyway?

PebbleTTC Sat 07-Jan-17 11:07:39

No she was on holidays in Bangladesh and we got the news Thursday and she got the first available flight out and now stuck. Tried getting another flight out and try get home from there but can't get anything

liz70 Sat 07-Jan-17 11:16:46

Can the funeral be delayed? My uncle (dad's brother) had my aunty's funeral held back by a week until my parents returned home and were back in contact. They were on holiday with us in a relatively remote area without wi-fi. My uncle wanted my dad - and mum- there so waited till they got back. Could your DGM's funeral similarly be held back until your DM can get home?

EssentialHummus Sat 07-Jan-17 11:19:51

I've just looked for Adana-London flights on Kayak.com. This comes up - v. long layover but doable:

29h 10m
21:30 — 22:15
Economy 1h 45m
Adana (ADA) — Nicosia (ECN)
Pegasus Airlines 239 · Narrow-body jet · Boeing 737-800
Operated by Pegasus Airlines
Change planes in Nicosia (ECN) Long layover
22h 00m
20:15 — 23:40
Takes off Wed, 11 Jan
Economy 5h 25m
Nicosia (ECN) — London (STN)
Pegasus Airlines 519
Operated by Pegasus Airlines

EssentialHummus Sat 07-Jan-17 11:20:26

It's £152.

PebbleTTC Sat 07-Jan-17 11:22:59

Well yes we won't have funeral without her but it's more that she is upset and alone in another country and wants to get asap.

Wednesday 11 th January is too far she would be home on her current flight by then. Was hoping to get her home in the next 24 hours.

We have spoken to airline nothing they can do just have to wait for next available flight

ConfusedDotty Sat 07-Jan-17 11:26:30

Have you tried Pegasus Airlines?

ConfusedDotty Sat 07-Jan-17 11:27:07

Sorry x post

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now