Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask if this EVER ends???

(18 Posts)
BonsGirl Fri 06-Jan-17 18:25:19

6 year old boy, having a massive tantrum now... why? Because me and DP asked him to stop playing with his Lego and have his tea...

Do they ever grow out of this???

kelper Fri 06-Jan-17 18:28:34

Nope, DS is nearly 9 and still strops over everything. Mind you he does have ADHD and various other issues, but it is hugely annoying after a while, you have my sympathies OP

early30smum Fri 06-Jan-17 18:29:36

My 7 year old DD still has tantrums... Ugh. I was hoping they'd stop by now. Still, she's better than she was!

BonsGirl Fri 06-Jan-17 19:25:11

Good to know I'm not alone!!! He didn't actually go through the 'terrible twos' his strops started about 4 years old and haven't stopped sad

PoptartPoptart Fri 06-Jan-17 19:38:09

My 11yo DS still does this sometimes! Sorry, probably not what you want to hear! Mostly it's eye rolling and general stroppiness but he occasionally still reverts to tantrum type outbursts, only usually when he's tired though. I tell him that if he is going to behave like a toddler then I will treat him like one, which means losing all his 'grown up' privileges. Usually does the trick smile

SecondaryQuandary Fri 06-Jan-17 19:39:43

13 yo DS here. No Lego, but tell him he can't watch the second half of a football match on a school night.....

bumsexatthebingo Fri 06-Jan-17 19:41:17

My ds has asd and used to find stopping doing anything to change activity very difficult. He's fine now because I give him a warning (I would just say tea would be in a few mins now but I used to use a timer) and if I was something like Lego I'd let him finish the bit he was on (just put the brick he's holding on or something). Some kids, even without asd, don't like having to break off from something in a hurry. I don't really like it myself tbh.

CigarsofthePharoahs Fri 06-Jan-17 19:42:49

I have a 6 year old.
This morning he had the most epic tantrum yet. He didn't want to go to school.
Cue screaming, tears and lashing out. I had to wrestle his shoes on, he kept trying to take them off. I tried to get his coat on and failed.
It took me three attempts to get him out the front door. In the end I had to lift him up under his arms and physically put him outside, and then slam the door so he couldn't storm back in while I was putting my shoes on!
I thought two minutes in the cold in our enclosed garden would help. It didn't, he still didn't want to put his coat in.
He tried to drag the buggy over, complete with toddler inside, several times. He hit me repeatedly.
All of this was accompanied by a soundtrack of screaming and snotty wailing.
Half way to school he suddenly realised he was cold, so I coated, gloved and hatted him up. He then snivelled about being cold the rest of the way.
Then it was time to go in and he trotted off perfectly happily.
Little git. I was mortified the whole time.
He had a really good day at school too.
We never had any real problems with him as a baby or toddler. His younger brother, however, is an epic tantrummer and I think is a bad influence! confused grin

LegoLady95 Fri 06-Jan-17 20:15:11

Ds2 was really difficult at 6. Stroppy with tantrums over the slightest thing. Really hard work. He is 8 now and still has his moments, but is so much more pleasant to be around generally. I think the move to KS2 has made him feel much more grown up which has helped.
Your time will come...

Littlepleasures Fri 06-Jan-17 20:21:49

My son had the most horrendous tantrums till the age of 6. He would tantrum when it was time to leave the house, tantrum when it was time to leave wherever we were to go home, tantrum if he was asked to stop doing anything or couldn't get what he wanted. Leaving to go on holiday was always a nightmare and leaving to come back on the last day just the same. Many's the time we had him sitting on his own in a safe place screaming the place down while we packed up and tried to stay calm. God, it was wearing. It took all my patience to stay calm and consistent and often involved a fireman's lift if all else failed. When I later became a teacher, I had a lot of involvement and gained a lot of expertise with ASD children and realised he must have had problems with sudden transitions which I could have dealt with better by preparing him beforehand with verbal or visual prompts. It stopped all at once when he was 6. He had a friend over for tea once when it happened over something. He was removed to the other room as usual till he calmed down. That was the very last time. Discussing his tantrums years later he told me he was so embarrassed that his friend saw him like that that he never let himself do it again. I think it started out as problems with transitions then when he matured out of it, it became a habit. My son is not ASD but as a teacher I often found the strategies I used to make ASD children feel safe in the classroom were very helpful for helping any child going through a hard time.

BonsGirl Fri 06-Jan-17 20:42:29

Oh god yeah we've had the tantrums before school, so embarrassing! Tantrums in Asda because he's clearly bored and we've said no he can't have Skittles because he said he didn't like them (when we bought them last week!) Hopeful that it will die down and the tantrums will get less frequent!!!

DMCWelshCakes Fri 06-Jan-17 20:45:01

DiddyCakes is coming up 6. He threw such an epic pwdi yesterday that I had to cancel his music lesson. He then wailed inconsolably about having missed his lesson. hmm He threw exactly one tantrum as a toddler, but it was so epic that it's spoken of still amongst friends and family.

You are not alone OP!

FudgeBiscuits Fri 06-Jan-17 20:47:34

Nope, my father still tantrums, as does my husband.

Bluebolt Fri 06-Jan-17 20:57:15

My eldest two have gone through stages around the twos then at the sevens (I tied this with when school changed from play to study). Then the teens and hormones. DS1 tantrums and DD1 sulks. DS2 has severe learning difficulties and Autism and can be easier to manage in the tantrum stakes!

Littlegreyauditor Fri 06-Jan-17 21:06:32

This is such a relief. DS is an epic tantrum thrower (aged4) and I have bought every "strong willed child" book going as I was assured he should have grown out of it years ago. hmm

BonsGirl Fri 06-Jan-17 21:18:16

I'm so glad of the replies on here! DP and I thought we were doing parenting wrong!!! Hoping he's good tomorrow as we have shopping AND a haircut... we may be resorting to bribery!

Grilledaubergines Fri 06-Jan-17 21:19:14

Yes they grow out of it. Hold firm OP.

Chwaraeteg Fri 06-Jan-17 22:04:21

Beware, some of them really don't. Last week I had to shout at my 32 year old partner twice to stop playing with his new toy and eat his bloody dinner. Seriously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now