We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask how much you spend on your DC's birthday?

(80 Posts)
MrsStinkey Fri 06-Jan-17 14:44:58

DD1 is 6 soon and I'm just thinking about presents for her birthday. She got a really good Christmas although she didn't ask for very much she got the things she asked santa for plus a few extras from DH and I then an absolute mountain of presents from my DM and DDad, DG and DSis and DBil. DH and I have decided this year we're cutting back as we have a small loan we'd like to repay and then saving to buy another house in a couple of years time. Anyway what I really want to know is how much to people budget for their DC's birthdays? We've said no party this year as we did that last year and it cost a fortune but she can go for dinner at Brewers fayre (her favourite) with a school friend which we'll pay for then we can buy her a present/some presents. What do you all spend on birthdays?

BIgBagofJelly Fri 06-Jan-17 14:48:24

I have an upper limit of a around £300 but would only spend that much if it was on stuff that I wanted in the long term anyway (like last year we got DS turning 4 a really good swing and sandpit which were expensive but he gets loads of use out of when friends come over and it's the first time we've had a garden so really wanted to take advantage). If there was nothing in particular he wanted or that I felt he needed I wouldn't spend more than £100 on gifts.

early30smum Fri 06-Jan-17 14:49:11

We spend a lot. DD and DD always have a party which is expensive, but we don't give them many presents as they have so many pointless, space cluttering toys that they never play with lovely toys that there's just no need. They also get presents from friends and family.

early30smum Fri 06-Jan-17 14:49:46

DD and DS that should say!

HecateAntaia Fri 06-Jan-17 14:50:52

It depends year on year what our finances are like. Cut your coat according to your cloth as the saying goes.

Currently it's about £150 each. It's been a lot less, it's been a bit more.

DailyFail1 Fri 06-Jan-17 14:51:20

I don't have a limit. Last year spent £2,000 on dd's birthday. Year before it was £300. Year before that £30. Just depends on what she wants/needs that particular year.

divafever99 Fri 06-Jan-17 14:52:50

Usually £100-150 on a party, £20 on a cake and £30 on gifts.

Birdsgottafly Fri 06-Jan-17 14:55:18

I had three and tended to buy what they needed/really wanted, as such, so there wasn't a budget.

One year my youngest would get a load of play animal type sets, puppy in my pocket etc and the next a games console. As they got older I included 'luxury' type clothing e.g. Uggs.

I'd stop buying the little stuff and start asking for money towards days out. Your house ends up full of stuff.

My youngest loves the theatre, so that's what she got.

My DD had hardly anything to buy at Christmas because her DPs side won't get vouchers etc, so my DD is getting my GD a swing/climbing frame set with money that she got from our side (and will get at Easter).

We're being fooled into thinking we need to buy stuff, constantly.

MrsStinkey Fri 06-Jan-17 14:56:29

DD always asks for tiny silly stuff like shopkins, aquabeads etc that don't cost a lot or look like much so I pad it out with clothes, shoes etc that she could be doing with. I wasn't sure if £50-£100 was mean. I know not everyone even has that to spend but we could spend more if we wanted to. I think just going for the gift she's asking for and the meal will be fine according to what you have all said thank you!

FishInAWetSuitAndFlippers Fri 06-Jan-17 14:57:29

I budget around £200. They can either choose to have a lot of presents or a party with the money.

early30smum Fri 06-Jan-17 14:58:51

I also think kids have far too much physical 'stuff.' I know half ours doesn't really get played with. I'd rather spend the £ on an outing or activities etc.

MrsStinkey Fri 06-Jan-17 15:00:49

Birds you're so right. We live in a two bedroomed house as well so really starting to run out of space! DH thinks it mean to use money given to them for practical stuff like shoes, bedroom furniture etc though sad. I think it's better spent like that than on rubbish. When they're older that'll change as I'm sure they'll have their own ideas on what they want to waste spend it on!

gillybeanz Fri 06-Jan-17 15:01:35

it was dd 13th a few days ago, we bought her a recon laptop as she needs one to take to school now. it cost £145.
We boght her some small things totalling £20 ish.

BarbarianMum Fri 06-Jan-17 15:01:51

Up to £100 or so, plus party - which can also be up to £100 if it's bowling etc. Unless it is a bicycle year, in which case it can be more.

Ragwort Fri 06-Jan-17 15:03:33

We budget around £100 (teenager). Plus a meal out. Used to spend less when he was younger, just more mindless clutter in most cases grin.

JustanotherMortificado Fri 06-Jan-17 15:05:08

Spend what you can afford. No point going over board. My son turned six just before xmas I spent around £100 and he was chuffed as he got what he wanted, at that age I think they appreciate things more. Wait till he's 11 and wanting branded clothes and expensive scooters....

Lovemusic33 Fri 06-Jan-17 15:06:17

Slightly shocked that people spend so much, both my dc's have birthdays soon, they had plenty of things at Christmas, things that still haven't been touched. I usually spend £30-£50 on a gift/gifts and then a trip to Pizza Hut.

LittleLionMansMummy Fri 06-Jan-17 15:06:30

Ds is 6 and we spend £80 on presents and up to £100 max on a party. Next year we'll have the same limit but will take him and 3 friends to Laserforce and for a meal afterwards.

J3NN1 Fri 06-Jan-17 15:10:28

Presents for birthdays we spend a lot less than Xmas, around £150 unless it's something particular. This year we are buying dd2 a Pygmy hedgehog and set up so will cost a lot more than that.

They don't have 'big' parties every year, perhaps a couple of friends to go trampolining or to the cinema or for a sleepover.

Big parties we tend to have for specific ages, dd2 will be 10 so she is having a big party which will cost around 2-300, when dd1 was 13 she had a big party too which was around the same and dd3 is 8 this year and will have a few friends to the house for a 'superhero' party which will cost less than 100 I reckon.

dollydaydream114 Fri 06-Jan-17 15:10:53

DD always asks for tiny silly stuff like shopkins, aquabeads etc that don't cost a lot or look like much so I pad it out with clothes, shoes etc that she could be doing with. I wasn't sure if £50-£100 was mean

That sounds absolutely fine to me. It's not like your DD really understands how much things cost, so what you see as the 'tiny, silly stuff' isn't actually tiny and silly to her; they're great presents that she'll be excited about. She won't think 'Mummy and Daddy haven't spent very much money this year', she'll think 'Brilliant, I got the things I asked for. AND I've got some new clothes.'

Soubriquet Fri 06-Jan-17 15:11:57

We don't have a budget!

We usually spend a maximum of £50

Heirhelp Fri 06-Jan-17 15:14:03

You can always put money which is given to them into there savings account.

Oofimanoeuf Fri 06-Jan-17 15:19:15

I would say the Brewers fair and then a couple of presents £50-£100 depending on what she'd asked for is enough. I don't like to buy something they won't get a good amount of use out of.

witsender Fri 06-Jan-17 15:26:32

Don't rush set a budget. Probably about 100-150 realistically...Plus a party (at home/beach/hall) if they/we want.

limon Fri 06-Jan-17 15:28:51

We've bought a desk for her for £30 (second hand but immacculate) and her party will cost probably £150. I'll also need to get a stool or chair for the desk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now