Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fucking Alexa

(160 Posts)
Smitff Fri 06-Jan-17 12:00:42

Just want to smash her face in.

It's the reasonable and pleasant tone of voice. Makes me sounds like even more of a haranguing nag than I already am.

DH is making this a Big Deal.

I'm considering giving him an ultimatum. Alexa or me.

Fucking twatting gadgets. Sick of them all.

Alfieisnoisy Fri 06-Jan-17 12:10:50

Don't hold back, say what you really feel won't you grin.

Have seen endless videos on FB of people raging about the bloody things. I gather they are fabulous (when they work) but that people won't miss out by waiting a year or two for more advanced/enhanced devices with the wrinkles ironed outl

wasonthelist Fri 06-Jan-17 12:12:29

I really really don't see the need/appeal of Alexa - and I love gadgets.

Alfieisnoisy Fri 06-Jan-17 12:37:19

I have to say that I don't really "get" the need for these gadgets either. All I keep reading those go is how they are going to be the next big thing. Don't know if the article writers are being paid by Amazon to say this though.

abbsisspartacus Fri 06-Jan-17 12:38:53

WTF is alexa?

LouiseBrooks Fri 06-Jan-17 12:41:15

WTF is alexa?

^
This.

gamerchick Fri 06-Jan-17 12:41:36

No idea what you're on about but it sounds annoying grin

OreoCat Fri 06-Jan-17 12:42:11

Have you seen this? Alexa isn't always so pleasent!

youtu.be/KMLzJ8i9Xl4

user1483226045 Fri 06-Jan-17 12:42:42

I love mine. Xmas present to myself. Any radio station, any music from Spotify/my music, anything anytime. Need shopping list, tell her. Need weather, ask her. Need news today, ask her. Ultimate lazy person's gadget, love it.
Don't like it? Don't use it. Don't tell me you're jealous of your husband's relationship with his new gadget..... no need to worry The novelty will soon wear off, it always does.

foxessocks Fri 06-Jan-17 12:46:45

Haha! I love ours but our 3 yo has started asking things...If I say "Alexa" she interrupts me with a "hilarious" question of her own like "why is mummy a poo bum?" . She can't say Alexa very well yet but she has managed to get it to understand her a few times so it's only going to get more annoying!

c3pu Fri 06-Jan-17 12:48:03

All I want it to do is to wake me up with the radio. Not me having to turn the radio on myself at 0700 each morning, JUST PUT THE FUCKING RADIO ON AS THE ALARM FOR FUCKS SAKE

Huldra Fri 06-Jan-17 12:48:55

www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-amazon-echo-privacy-qa-20170105-story.html

Moob Fri 06-Jan-17 12:49:48

Alexa is ace.

When I get home I say "Alexa, turn on house"

She then turns on the heating, checks if it light or dark outside and turns on the lights as required, and put on my music

In the kitchen I can tell her to adjust lights, music etc as required even with wet or dirty hands.

When I leave the house "Alexa, turn off house" kills all lights, music, TVs, drops the thermostat, leave the hall and outside lights on for three minutes then kills them after I have left

OliviaStabler Fri 06-Jan-17 12:56:21

I love mine too!

luckylucky24 Fri 06-Jan-17 12:57:04

I love ALexa. She turns on our heating and lights, even adjusting the brightness when instructed. When it was plugged in she did the xmas tree lights.
My only issue is that sometimes she starts babbling on when no-one has said her name!

FatalKittehCharms Fri 06-Jan-17 12:57:44

Chung?

TheCatsMother99 Fri 06-Jan-17 12:59:21

I hate mine as well, smug bitch.

SallyR0se Fri 06-Jan-17 13:01:27

Me too, Fatal...

Glad that me & DH are old / have no kids / have never heard of Alexa (other than Chung).

FuzzyWizard Fri 06-Jan-17 13:01:39

I love mine too. If you have one connected up to all your lights and thermostat it's incredibly handy. We have two, a proper echo downstairs and a dot upstairs so you can control her from all over the house.

Mrsemcgregor Fri 06-Jan-17 13:02:40

moob how do your lights and thermostat know what to do?! Do I live in a terribly backwards home?

Isitjustmeorisiteveryoneelse Fri 06-Jan-17 13:02:43

I love Alexa's voice! She sounds just like Anita/Mia from Humans, very calming. It could be that she does everything I say but every time DH speaks to her she says 'Hmmm, I'm sorry I didn't understand that'. Vair vair amusing.

Formerpigwrestler9 Fri 06-Jan-17 13:02:55

Yeah but now amazon is listening to you 24/7
That's what I don't like about it

FromthePinkGlitterySide Fri 06-Jan-17 13:03:17

I love my Alexa! Have it in the kitchen and it's so useful to be able to change the song on Spotify just by asking. Especially when washing up.

hiccupgirl Fri 06-Jan-17 13:03:47

def the ultimate lazy person's gadget as stated up above.

We don't have one, a friend does. Her 6 yr old has quickly worked out how to take control of it and the music choice etc. it also likes to randomly pair itself up with speakers in different rooms but not the one you actually want it too. I won't be getting one yet...maybe in a few years when more glitches have been ironed out.

roundtable Fri 06-Jan-17 13:05:59

@Moob- I misread that as she kills your kids 3 minutes after you leave the house. shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now