Talk

Advanced search

To panic over baby's bulging soft spot?

(20 Posts)
ricecrispies16 Fri 06-Jan-17 11:39:49

Baby seems fine in her self but just now I was changing her and noticed the top of her head was a different shape, had a closer look and her soft spot is swollen. It's normally level if not a bit sunken normally.... I'm going to call 111 to see what I should do but any experience of this?

ricecrispies16 Fri 06-Jan-17 11:40:30

Also, I know this isn't technically an "aibu" but I guessed it would be seen more here and I'm panicking a bit...

MountainPeaks Fri 06-Jan-17 11:49:35

Get an emergency GP appointment or call 111 now.

sillygoof Fri 06-Jan-17 11:51:38

Always, always call 111 if you're unsure. Or, I agree, try your Gp - mine has had me in within the hour for a baby before. It is never a waste of time. But I think a bulging soft spot can indicate an infection so call them. And check her temp if you can as well.

InterchangeableEmma Fri 06-Jan-17 11:51:41

Yy seek urgent attention. She's probably just fine but needs to be checked ASAP

statetrooperstacey Fri 06-Jan-17 12:03:39

Yes can be an indication of something very wrong, it's one of the few things that would worry me. Get proper medical advice immediately .

insertwittynickname Fri 06-Jan-17 12:06:24

Op I hope it's nothing but I agree that it should be seen to right away. Also a sunken soft spot is a sign of dehydration or so I've been led to believe.

insertwittynickname Fri 06-Jan-17 12:10:05

Actually op, I'm sorry as I don't want to panic you but after a quick google (I know we shouldn't internet diagnose) I would actually take baby to A&E.

pyjamasonbananas Fri 06-Jan-17 12:10:34

I'd go to a and e, or the GP: don't mess about with (useless, useless) 111 - yr baby needs to be seen by someone.

First DS had head issues, and one of the things all the drs looked for first was a swollen fontanelle (which he didn't have, but they said was a marker for the things they were worrying about).

Soubriquet Fri 06-Jan-17 12:11:47

Sunken soft spot is dehydration
Swollen soft spot is a sign of illness

Get her seen asap even if she seems well in herself

Stormwhale Fri 06-Jan-17 12:13:17

Apparently it can bulge when baby is lying down, so calm down and just get her checked for peace of mind. smile

HPandBaconSandwiches Fri 06-Jan-17 12:14:08

Sit her up. If it's still swollen then ask advice from 111. It's normal for a little bulging on lying flat. If I'll in any way then of course she needs immediate medical attention.

J3NN1 Fri 06-Jan-17 12:20:29

Baby's soft spots can slightly change from being swollen/sunken at different times, when lying down, crying etc.
As someone said you have to have your baby sitting upright to check, if it is still swollen then I would definitely phone 111 for advice.
Not to panic you, but if her soft spot is very swollen (doctors will know the variables of just how swollen is still within normal ranges) they may want to do an ultrasound, or even a scan.
Some babies can have a little extra water on the brain which can be normal for them, some babies may need treatment for it and it can also be a sign of an infection.
You won't know which until your baby has been seen by a doctor. Don't panic please, but get seen by a doctor and get some advice.
Wishing you and your daughter well.

Mrsemcgregor Fri 06-Jan-17 12:20:36

Always worth checking out tiny ones. It's most likely fine.

Rixera Fri 06-Jan-17 12:23:23

I took mine to a&e for this, seen quickly by a lovely doctor, nothing was wrong and it went down by the time we left but they thanked us for coming and getting her checked out. Always best to check.

ricecrispies16 Fri 06-Jan-17 12:54:43

Thanks everyone. I called 111 and they said that since she's happy in herself, feeding and producing wet and dirty nappies they're not concerned. Since posting it has gone down. Will keep a close eye on her

pyjamasonbananas Fri 06-Jan-17 13:04:49

glad you're reassured and that it's gone down.
111 told me not to fuss about a rash that turned out to be scarlet fever, but wanted to send an ambulance when DS had a virus/temp. Our GP now advises us not to call them as their advice is so erratic.

BoboBunnyH0p Fri 06-Jan-17 13:38:53

Just wanted to say that my DD (now 10) had something similar, took her to gp who to be on the safe side arranged a referral to the hospital. Hospital appointment was a few days later and it had totally disappeared and never appeared again.

BIgBagofJelly Fri 06-Jan-17 14:44:44

90% it will be something innocuous but it's not worth the risk to wait and see go now to A&E. With a baby they'll have you in and out quickly.

BIgBagofJelly Fri 06-Jan-17 14:45:32

Aaa just saw it went down. Hopefully panic over then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now